Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default What is YOUR cruise shopping strategy

I never realized how dismally inept some of the posters at the "other" web site can be but I went there to see the conversation on the new RCL policy and I saw things that made me laugh.

One guy said he has this plan for making the cheapest cruise vacation...

He looks for the cheapest airfare to Ft lauderdale and books it first - THEN he looks for various ships sailing out of there that week and books the cheapest one.

Doh!!!

What is YOUR cruise shopping strategy, point by point, including airfare? If we share them all maybe we will find some nuggets of wisdom and come up with a really good plan.
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Haven't done it ourselves ....yet...but forget preferences about cabins etc. & book late, friends have just had 14 nights on P&O Ventura for 699 each. Now they don't care what cabin or dining they get so they just went for it.
Old May 19th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thats a good price for a crossing although I have seen better during the economic crisis last year.
Old May 19th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Well it's usually double that, it was a Med cruise if that makes any difference.
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Admiral

The key is to have a good T.A. that doesn't charge for change fees. We usually book early as an inside cabin. Then when prices go down, we change to a better cabin as the cruise fare reduction and our real budget allows. That way we know we are on the ship for sure and often we get a bonus of a much nicer cabin. The caviat is that such cabin changes usually must be made prior to final payment.

We always book the air ourselves after the cruise is purchased, watching for bargains. This seems to work well for us.
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Well first we have yet to book a cruise that leaves from other than FL so we always drive to port. So no airfare so far. I'm sure when we do decide to book a crusie where we have to fly I will ask a lot of questions.

But when we find a cruise we look for the best price. And so far we have not had a problem with prices going down. I have yet to find one TA to use. We don't require a lot from the TA.

Right now we are looking at one of the cruises from Chrleston to Bermuda for next year so am gathering prices. Will probably book tomorrow. And we will be driving there so have looked for/at hotels near that we can stay for the night before and leave the car while on the cruise. Found one that is only $5 more than the cost of parking at the port.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Admiral

On our last cruise we booked an outside and were upgraded to a balcony and then upgraded to a mini suite .This cruise we booked an outside and were offered a balcony upgrade but chose not to take it because the location is not good
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

We usually have to plan our cruises well in advance. Between my DH's job and the kids, there are a lot of things we need to get arranged! The shortest we've booked is 8 months out, the longest 18 months. We choose based on the itinerary, then the ship. By booking far in advance we have time to research price and that is always the deciding factor in whether or not we book. We always book our airfare ourselves, and usually use hubby's free airmiles. One of the perks to him always being gone! We also use hotel points to stay the night before the cruise free. When we flew to Hawaii it took us months to get the flights finalized - because we wanted first-class but only coach was available. I was calling almost daily until we finally got it! This was for our 15th anniversary - and we were not able to take a honeymoon (hubby was active-duty military and couldn't get time off, and by the time he could I was working a new job!), so we were treating ourselves!
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Admiral

This is a whole new world to me ....where the Uk is relatively small most of the cruises include either bus travel or free parking, & on fly cruises the flights (charter) are included in the fare.
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Admiral

our stragety is very simple, when we decide to go on a cruise, we call our friends, see who wants to go, pick a time frame with some wiggle room and then call my ta and let her work her magic
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

With experience, many of us have already perused our CM Cruise Bargains, called around for a few prices, with a ta, or the cruise line, and make a quick decision, and pick up the phone. I am in the process of doing this now. once I get my quotes, I will make my deposit. Doing a different type of cruise or going to a different place, can demand more ta time...they earn their money,and I always use one.

Getting good air fare is harder now...the Boston to Florida easy to get $198.00 pp fare is long gone, as are the wide body planes we used to fly I check the rates constantly...

We also check, Biddingfortravel.com to see what my fave hotels are getting, and then head to Priceline,and plug in the rate I saw..last year we got the Renaissance on AIA in Lauderdale for $59.00 a night. We also got a car rental for a mid size for $18.00 a day..very good if I do say so myself I also make our shuttle resdervations..after some reserach I found a $15.00 pp each way charge..last cruise we flew into FLL, and cruised out of Miami..we always precruise in Fll...That's my way of doing things

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 20th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Okay remember you asked. ;-)

I created a cruise template in MS Excel with three worksheets. The first worksheet is misc tab to cost out: hotel, airfare, pet care, parking, shuttle, etc. The second worksheet is cruise expenses tab to cost out: cost per person for the cruise, tips, taxes and port fee, cruise discount (we have a rewards card), the third worksheet is a summary tab it compiles information from the other tabs then show the total costs; cost per night; length of the cruise; name of the ship; and destination. At one point last year I had 12 cruises in the worksheet. I have since modified it to 3 cruises.

So we determine which cruises make it into the template my hubby and I decide where we want to go. I then check for the best month that is less expensive; while still having good weather. I check the average temps/rainfall of the ports in yahoo weather. I ran those thru the template and determine the best cruise for weather, price, and ports. If the cruise is to Alaska I also check the migration pattern of the whales and if the salmon are running.

After I have the cruise I review the different types of fares and pick the one that best suits us. In the case of my last cruise (Carnival Splendor) I booked Early Saver and picked my cabin/deck on the ship. We booked over a year in advance and I watched for price drops. As the price drops occurred I put in Early Saver requests. 4 Early Saver requests in all. We had a nice bit of OBC on that cruise. I'm not brand loyal if RCL had the best deal on a nice ship I would have picked them. It didn't happen this time. We drove to port so no airfare was needed. The template does show the cost of gasoline to drive to the port. Based on miles per gallon my car gets, miles to the port, and price per gallon of gas (I did an excel formula).

On another thread it was suggested I was not getting the best deal because I was not using a Travel Agent. I don't believe a Travel Agent would have watched the cruise price as closely as I did. I also like the control I have with handling everything myself. To me this part is fun and interesting. I costed out some cruises for my Crazysis just for the fun of it.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994

Last edited by katlady; May 20th, 2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Ermm...is it me? but we just see a cruise we fancy, ask ourselves if we can afford it and....
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

For many, the research the hunt, and all that includes is half the fun....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 20th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Yeah...true, we think it's fun looking at where to go & on which ship, choosing a cabin, then getting prices from say three TA's. It's less complicated here, we don't have to worry about flights, we either get on the ship in the UK (relatively short drive or bus trip) or fly to the ship (included in the price).
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You have to love Katlady's approach. I doubt anyone else will answer now

(BUT PLEASE DO!)

One thing I have found is that it is best to be date flexicble - that same cruise can vary in price by as much as 25% in a month just based on the sail date - and that does not always mean shoulder season. Sometimes it is just based on chance because the ship isnt selling.

Katlady - when do you find is the best time to book airfare - how far in advance? Do you have to re-adjust your airfare every week?
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Same old choice really, book early or take a chance on a late deal....we are leaning towards the late deal in future, just see what's cheapest & do we fancy it....
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
You have to love Katlady's approach. I doubt anyone else will answer now

(BUT PLEASE DO!)

One thing I have found is that it is best to be date flexicble - that same cruise can vary in price by as much as 25% in a month just based on the sail date - and that does not always mean shoulder season. Sometimes it is just based on chance because the ship isnt selling.

Katlady - when do you find is the best time to book airfare - how far in advance? Do you have to re-adjust your airfare every week?
I'm a finance major trained in skip-tracing kind of a strange mix. But I love the hunt.

Paul to answer your question we have only flew to port once. CM transatlantic Cruise in 2008. So the flights were from SFO (it was cheaper then Sacramento) to Miami. The ship took us to Rome Italy we took the train to Venice, Italy. The flight back was from Venice, Italy back to California. I tried the open jaw thingy way too expensive. I booked one way non refundable airfares economy class. Yes I'm cheap.

I beat cruise air by $200 per person not including the air deviations they would have charged for coming in the day before and leaving out of Venice. Plus I got to pick a non stop flight to Miami and chose my seat (on the aisle). The flight back was tiring we went from Venice to Frankfurt then Frankfurt to LAX and then LAX to Sacramento. When I check air now I always use fly.com. Another cruise mate (Bob) told me about it. It searches multiple sites at once. I also check Jet Blue and Southwest. Oddly enough I didn't lose my luggage on any of those flights. I lost my luggage on the transfer bus from the port to Rome.

We don't have kids so we can cruise while school is in session that saves us a lot of money.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 21st, 2010, 03:57 PM
First Mate

All I can say is it's a good thing I don't live close to a port, I'd be bankrupt booking too many cruises.

I always book when school is in session (no kids) but am unable to book anything during cold months (job).

While trying to go through my bucket list, I also find cheaper getaways in between as my bucket list includes some very pricey destinations.

For me, itineraries, then ship, then cabin costs decide my trip. Inevitably, I must cruise!

Katlady, I would love to have your spreadsheets.

Old May 21st, 2010, 04:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The vast majority of my cruises are booked within six months of sailing. I have a hard time booking a year out because "life" can get in the way and I have to cancel.

I am not super picky about my cabin location. It just has to be a balcony or better so I have no problem doing a last minute booking. I have found that booking around final payment time you can get a decent price.

The main criteria is itinerary so when a decent deal pops up then I jump on it.

My definition of a good deal is: $100 - $125 pp/pd for a balcony or mini-suite and $175 - $200 pp/pd for a suite. This can change based on itinerary. I may pay a suite price for a balcony if the itinerary is good. i.e. Australia, Med or South America.

I always book hotels using Priceline. I have used Priceline at least 50 times and have only been disappointed once. That was the first time I ever used them and didn't really know what I was doing.

I rarely use cruise line transfers. For two people it is almost always less expensive to use a taxi or shuttle service instead of the cruise line. It is also less of a hassle then standing around for an hour waiting for the bus to fill up. I also "really" hate buses.

I also rarely use cruise line excursions. I will research and find private tours that do and see more than the cruise line. They are almost always less expensive and better. I do private excursions because I want to take time to stop somewhere if I want or bypass something. It is one reason we rarely share an excursion with other couples. It's a great way to make a private tour very affordable but I still want to have the flexibility. It doesn't mean I'm anti-social. I just want to get the most out of it for my wife and I.

The big thing is to constantly keep checking for cruise prices and itineraries you want and then be able to book them ASAP. They usually don't last long and if you hesitate you lose it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Some of you implied this by saying you check ships & itineraries & then shop price - but re-stating the obvious - the biggest price differential for the exact same cruise appears to be SAILING DATE. Am I right?
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Paul yes sailing date can make a big difference in the price.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old May 21st, 2010, 07:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Some of you implied this by saying you check ships & itineraries & then shop price - but re-stating the obvious - the biggest price differential for the exact same cruise appears to be SAILING DATE. Am I right?
Paul,

Sailing date will be a factor in the final determination but on many itineraries there isn't too much wiggle room in sailing date. Most North American cruise lines will only have a presence in Asia, Australia and South America for only part of the year. There now is more of a choice in Europe with NCL and RCI having a presence almost year round.

If you are going to cruise the Caribbean you will always get a lower price if cruising in the Fll rather than summer.

I did notice that earlier this year Alaska was selling for a premium price but now I see $399 and $499, inside cabin, prices. In January they were going for $600 to $800 for a seven day cruise.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:13 AM
Passenger

Smile Cruise line>Cruise ship>Cruise itinerary

I am guessing most people do not think about doing this: plan two years in advance. To make sure I can get one of the best penthouse suites on Crystal Serenity and an early-bird rate (if there is one), I will know everything except the itinerary before the European cruises schedule for 2012 is published online. That way, the only delay is selecting the ports of call and I get lower prices than almost everyone else on board. So for me ship, then season, then itinerary will be the deciding factors. I will go in April or May so I can see the beautiful gardens, enjoy perfect weather, and avoid kids at the same time.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPrincess View Post
I am guessing most people do not think about doing this: plan two years in advance. To make sure I can get one of the best penthouse suites on Crystal Serenity and an early-bird rate (if there is one), I will know everything except the itinerary before the European cruises schedule for 2012 is published online. That way, the only delay is selecting the ports of call and I get lower prices than almost everyone else on board. So for me ship, then season, then itinerary will be the deciding factors. I will go in April or May so I can see the beautiful gardens, enjoy perfect weather, and avoid kids at the same time.
Don't really understand this one...aren't you just saying book early on a ship you like?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Paul, I agree with you about the sailing date. Our upcoming cruise to Alaska, at the time we were looking, (Sapphire Princess) had prices the week of 6-27 beginning at $606 p.p. Every other summer week was priced about $200 more p.p. on the exact ship.I'm not sure why the week from 6-27 to 7-4 was not booking as well as the other prime summer weeks, but it worked out well for us.

A couple weeks after we booked, the price of this cruise went up to about what the other weeks were priced.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:13 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Don't really understand this one...aren't you just saying book early on a ship you like?
My point is I want to already know which ship to sail on, which suites are best, and the better ports of call to look for prior to booking so when it is time to book, I will know my preferences already. So my shopping strategy is ship first, then suite, then itinerary, to make sure I get the best of everything. A cruise is the most expensive type of vacation, so I want to splurge and only worry about prices for land portions.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthew8 View Post
All I can say is it's a good thing I don't live close to a port, I'd be bankrupt booking too many cruises.

I always book when school is in session (no kids) but am unable to book anything during cold months (job).

While trying to go through my bucket list, I also find cheaper getaways in between as my bucket list includes some very pricey destinations.

For me, itineraries, then ship, then cabin costs decide my trip. Inevitably, I must cruise!

Katlady, I would love to have your spreadsheets.
I'm willing to share just PM me your E-mail and I will send you the excel spreadsheet. I have protection on the formulas so I don't accidentally delete one.:-D

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:09 PM
Admiral

Okay Peg I e-mailed it to you. If you have any questions just let me know.:-D

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:22 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
Okay remember you asked. ;-)

I created a cruise template in MS Excel with three worksheets. The first worksheet is misc tab to cost out: hotel, airfare, pet care, parking, shuttle, etc. The second worksheet is cruise expenses tab to cost out: cost per person for the cruise, tips, taxes and port fee, cruise discount (we have a rewards card), the third worksheet is a summary tab it compiles information from the other tabs then show the total costs; cost per night; length of the cruise; name of the ship; and destination. At one point last year I had 12 cruises in the worksheet. I have since modified it to 3 cruises.

So we determine which cruises make it into the template my hubby and I decide where we want to go. I then check for the best month that is less expensive; while still having good weather. I check the average temps/rainfall of the ports in yahoo weather. I ran those thru the template and determine the best cruise for weather, price, and ports. If the cruise is to Alaska I also check the migration pattern of the whales and if the salmon are running.

After I have the cruise I review the different types of fares and pick the one that best suits us. In the case of my last cruise (Carnival Splendor) I booked Early Saver and picked my cabin/deck on the ship. We booked over a year in advance and I watched for price drops. As the price drops occurred I put in Early Saver requests. 4 Early Saver requests in all. We had a nice bit of OBC on that cruise. I'm not brand loyal if RCL had the best deal on a nice ship I would have picked them. It didn't happen this time. We drove to port so no airfare was needed. The template does show the cost of gasoline to drive to the port. Based on miles per gallon my car gets, miles to the port, and price per gallon of gas (I did an excel formula).

On another thread it was suggested I was not getting the best deal because I was not using a Travel Agent. I don't believe a Travel Agent would have watched the cruise price as closely as I did. I also like the control I have with handling everything myself. To me this part is fun and interesting. I costed out some cruises for my Crazysis just for the fun of it.
Katlady,

Great post!!!!

I agree with you 100% about having control over your vacation and have not used a TA for many years. You are right that NO Travel Agent will watch the prices as well as you and I do!!

Happy cruise planning,

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com