Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Beginner

Default Solo cruising over Christmas/New Years questions

Hello Everyone.... I am planning my first solo cruise this year over the Christmas and/or New Year holidays.

This will be my 3rd cruise - first two on Carnival with great experiences although I am not opposed to trying a new line. I always cruised with my mom who passed away last winter. I am 40 with no family so I thought a holiday cruise (7-9 days) would be allow me to enjoy the holidays.

I am not overly picky, outgoing and strangers are only friends I've not yet met. I love activities, entertainment esp. Karaoke, and enjoy good food. I enjoy the nightlife...not a big drinker although I enjoy staying out late (insomnia). I like the larger ships.

So, my questions...
Opinions on cruiselines, ships, and ports especially at the holiday time.
Are there ports I should stay away from since I am traveling solo? (FYI...I travel alone for work all the time so I am adventurous)
Are there all families on holiday cruises or can I expect some solos such as myself?
Had a balcony last cruise and loved the sound of the water - is it really worth it since I now am paying the solo supplement?

Any thoughts or comments would be very appreciated. Thanks, Tina
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Tina there are so many choices, you really need to narrow it down for us to give you some suggestions. Are you thinking of cruising the Caribbean? what port are you thinking of departing from? what are you looking for in your ports?
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Beginner

Lisa, sorry I totally forgot to add that I am looking either at the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera. I would want to stay on one of the mass market lines. Thanks!
Old May 28th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Admiral

You might want to check out how the holidays might affect closures. Usually only Christmas and New Year's Day - and not NYD so much.

The balcony question is one only you can answer. As you will be solo you might find that you will be out of your cabin even more, no waiting on the bathroom, etc.

NCL Epic does have some "singles" but they are all interiors and look pretty tiny.

Good luck - it's great that you are still willing to cruise alone.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old May 28th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Beginner

What do you mean by "closures". Do you mean Port closures or something else?
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Not the ports themselves - but if you are planning shopping or sightseeing some options may not be available on Christmas Day. Just like here in the states. Of course if you were to sail where Christians are a minority such as Asia they call Christmas Day "December 25th".

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Old May 29th, 2010, 06:10 AM
First Mate

Default choice

My choice will always be balcony, because I grew up on the ocean and need a piece of it to myself. Yes, solo has it's price but it doesn't stop me. I'd cruise more if I got a break in the price.

Buying travel books helps me decide how far 'in' I want to visit an island. For me, it's more comfortable to do cruiseline excursions, maybe it's a sense of security?

You'll be amazed how receptive people are if you ask them if you can 'hang out' with them during an excursion, especially if you're on the same ship.

I haven't done a holiday cruise yet.

Good for you, going solo!

Sweet Sailing!

Old May 30th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The cost may be an issue for what I am going to suggest, but The Oasis, or the Allure,{no bargains} could be the spin that will make this holiday cruise a hit...With all the new dining and recreation options, there would always be a lively "something" going on, but allowing you the options to discover your quiet spot, if need be..Cruising at this time, has a special friendly feel I think...Also the Epic, could be similar in feel...new and exciting!

Ps, the only port I can think of is Jamaica,where a ships tour would be wise..Antigua and Nassau, have had some issues of late, but reallly, just be aware of your surroundings everywhere...you may just meet some people where, you can be included in theur groups too! Have a great adventure...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 30th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

You may already be aware that holiday sailings are full of families and kids, and ships sail at capacity because of all the 3rd and 4th passengers in cabins.

Would sailing by yourself without a family at that time of year bother you? The few people I know who've done holiday sailings have said never again. You pay premium prices and there are service issues due to the large number of passengers. Also the usual kid issues.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 03:00 PM
Beginner

I am enjoying all the feedback. Since my mom passed last Nov, I have no family and have spent the holidays alone a number of times. Last holidays were uneventful even spending them with great friends. I thought a Christmas and/or New Years cruise would be festive. Last cruise, even though I was with my mom, I hung out with the entertainment staff most of the time even getting invited to staff parties and exchanging Christmas gifts! First cruise, I met a couple on their honeymoon during the muster drill and they wanted to hang out with me (goal to find me a mate - did not happen) - taught me how to salsa dance.

Needless to say, I am not shy or introverted. I am a professionally trained singer and usually get known during Karaoke. I travel a lot for work and don't have a problem entertaining myself if need be, no fear of visiting new places, and like the idea of not being on anyone else's schedule.

Here is what I have narrowed it down to so far:
Carnival Dream - 9 day W.Caribbean 12/23 - 1/1 (like the itinerary - loved Cozumel) Contemplating if I should splurge on a balcony?

NCL Epic - 12/25? - 7 day Have heard questionable things about the food quality on this line except for the surcharge restaurants. - Like the idea of the studio with no surcharge but it seems really tiny.

RCI - Oasis or Allure - would love to try either of these ships but may be cost prohibitive.

Any more thoughts? I appreciate the help.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We have a group cruise going on the Epic for Halloween,which I am hosting....Paul, our leader in chief is going on the transatlantic quite soon,[he has booked a studio cabin] and we have tons of info on the Epic, all around the site...do a search and dream....I was last on the NCL Gem and had no food issues but one......Innovative and spirited ideas, will make this ship a winner!

We will all report back, with plus's and any minus's!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 3rd, 2010, 03:46 PM
Beginner

Trip, thanks and can't wait to hear about The Epic. The ship looks great and I like how unique it is. I would really enjoy going to the Ice Bar and some of the shows.

I just don't know if I could handle the small studio room and the other rooms paying for two is too expensive.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:51 PM
Admiral

You may find fewer families on the 9 day cruise. Whatever you do - enjoy yourself.

I've thought New Year's on a ship would be very nice. Especially if you can celebrate it with new cruise friends.