Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Are you kidding me!

With sooo many new Cruisemates on the boards now, I'll bring up a topic, that has has us laughing, guffawing, and rolling our eyes, in years past....

Have you ever had the tablemates from He-l-l? Wild kids, drunken antics, badly dressed, overtalkative, food spewing, take over the conversation tablemates? Any story you are still telling years after the fact...Inquiring minds want to know!

My friends who were one of our a transtatlantic Cruisemates cruises, had one elderly gentleman take the butter knife off the table to attack another elderly man....must have been over a woman I called him the butterknife killer!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Wasn't really the tablemate from H E L L but it is a funny story.

On a Princess cruise, we had anytime dining and always requested to be seated with others. Well one evening the gentleman to my right turned out to be a water glass thief. He had his, then took his wife's then mine! Our waitress thought that she had given med one, had to quietly explain what happenned and she did bring a new glass and made sure to put it where the thief would not grab it.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old June 29th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Nancy, that is funny! We've done Anytime Dining since it's been available and like you, we usually ask to sit at a big table. We've usually had good luck, but twice we've had abusive husbands (which was not at all funny), and once we had a guy who was very funny and interesting but wouldn't let anyone else get a word in !

We don't eat dinner in the MDR much anymore, so I don't have any other stories.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 29th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Admiral

We once had an extremely rude older gentleman get up and leave, dragging his wife with him, because he did not approve of a) being seated with us and a family from Guatemala b) the service and c) the food.
After they left, we had a wonderful week with the lovely family from Guatemala!

donna
Old July 4th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I will be headed in 74 days for my 10th cruise. In the nine cruises I have done I have had one not so good and one uncomfortable situation. On the Freedom in April 09 I, a solo travellers and one of those oddball diners to place plunked me at a table for eight with another couple who was so into themselves (funny thing was they looked late 50's) that you didn't even get a HELLO from them. The other two women at time table were miserable cows!!!! All they wanted to do was ***** ***** ***** man and groan!!!!!! I asked to switch tables and they moved me to the table in next, but those people were just as bad. Two couples were old enough to be my parents and the other was crabby and grumpy....That was the only cruise were I was disappointed the Maitre'd couldn't find me a table with people in their 30's-40's, solo travellers, singles, or Canadians...I ate at the buffet (and Mognolian) for the rest of the cruise...

Last September I was on the Splendor for my 40th birthday. I asked for a table with other solo travelllers, singles, or Canadians. I got a table with eight solos of which five of us showed up. I was the yougest at 40. I had one wee tiny problem. One of the solo travellers, knowing I was single, insisted on hitting on me and constantly staring at me!!!!!! I politely told him that I am happily single and happy to romp and play around the ship all by myself or with the roll call people aboard if I ran into them. He sort of left me alone the next night, but the third night he was all over it again and needed to be reminded! So, between Sunday and Wednesday night I had to be on guard and keep reminding him. I had a great time and he really was a nice guy, just in a sweet n creepy way......The other three people at the table were great! On Thursday night I had a very late lunch (4pm) and wasn't hungry in the least. I skipped dinner and had something light around 9pm before they closed the buffet. The ship left Mazatlan a few minutes early and we were almost clear of the channel when the ship stopped dead and the CD announced a medical emergency to evacuate a passenger using our lifeboat....The next day, Friday was my birthday (40th) and had a great day ashore and then by the time I got back on the ship I started to dread dinner because HE would be there and OMG he would probably want to get touchy feely and I am not a touchy feely person, I like my personal space...Well, I ran into Miguel the maitre'd doing Lido schmoosing duty and told him I'd be there tonight and hope the champagne would kick in before cuz ole Sweet n Creepy creeped me out when he told me that he was the medical evacuation...I was ecstatic, but I still asked if he was OK or not, I'm not heartless.....Dinner that night was great and I had 2/3 of a bottle of champagne consumed before dinner with no buzz, but I was happy cuz it was me birthday! Friday and Saturday's dinner were fabulous that Mr Sweet n Creepy was no longer there!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old July 4th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
With sooo many new Cruisemates on the boards now, I'll bring up a topic, that has has us laughing, guffawing, and rolling our eyes, in years past....

Have you ever had the tablemates from He-l-l? Wild kids, drunken antics, badly dressed, overtalkative, food spewing, take over the conversation tablemates? Any story you are still telling years after the fact...Inquiring minds want to know!

My friends who were one of our a transtatlantic Cruisemates cruises, had one elderly gentleman take the butter knife off the table to attack another elderly man....must have been over a woman I called him the butterknife killer!
Hey I was on that cruise. It was the topic of the ship after it happened. We when one table over. I wasn't feeling well so I skipped dinner that night so I missed it. But my Crazysis was there and saw it happen.It happened as we were crossing the Atlantic ocean before we got into Funchal.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 4th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Passenger

Oh yes. Years ago i went on a cruise with my friend for practically nothing because her fiance backed out of the marriage so for $200 i went with her for 5 nights. We were seated with two sisters and a husband & wife. The husband was very arrogant and got mad at me & my friend because we werent talkative enough and so on so on. I am kind of shy and takes me awhile to get used to people. I tried to be nice, i would laugh, smile but it wasnt enough. Comments flew more then once and one night they just didnt stop. One of the women were laughing so i felt we had no one on our side, i left the table as i was in tears. At the time i was 21 and i guess the guy was around late 30's 40. The next morning the couple didnt show for breakfast but the two sisters had apologized for the way this guy acted and felt bad for us. I will never forget it, hard to even explain you just had to be there to believe someone could actually be like this. Almost made me feel like this guy was mad because we werent lovey dovey with him even though he had a wife or girlfriend right there with him.
Old July 4th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Admiral

You know when you first see a complicated, to you anyway, menu? well I bet you just sat there & sort of guessed/watched others/asked the waiter? not this couple, I don't want this, don't want that, just bring my dinner, of course when the main course arrived they were expecting the equivalent of an English roast, but as the main course was part of a six part meal of which they had partaken little it was somewhat lacking...then there was the sorbet between courses faux pas that we have all nearly made ..."why have you brought my puddin'." The next night they were prepared but were dismayed to find that the menu had changed so they had to choose all over again & complained bitterly about the change. All of this doesn't make them the table mates from hell but it was all done with little grace or consideration for the staff. This was topped off with asking the waiter where he came from & when told it was Poland she said "I'll have to go there to see why you lot come over here taking our jobs!"
Old July 4th, 2010, 06:57 PM
First Mate

quote: "This was topped off with asking the waiter where he came from & when told it was Poland she said "I'll have to go there to see why you lot come over here taking our jobs!"

Thankfully, you can now dine somewhere else or request a new table though you might miss being with the other folks.
Kind of like being placed at a marriage reception table and you can endure for a few hours but seven + days.
Yuck..
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old July 4th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Admiral

A few.

I was on the Norway in the upper level of the dining room at a table for 8 and this one older guy with a pompador and a pink jacket (not formal night) played twenty questions trying to pigeon hole me ... and others. Turns out he had asked for a table of singles (I hadn't). One by one people asked to be moved ... and for the first time, I did too and had a great time on the lower level. Every time I saw him again in a port, I ducked in another store.

The other one - table for 10 on Princess and had one guy who came in drunk every night carrying a Foster's beer and ordering more. This one night, a nice Aussie couple had told me they wouldn't be coming but nothing from the others who also didn't show. But the drunk came. Fortunately, I had had the same waiter on another Princess cruise - and when I saw no one else was coming, I asked him to seat the drunk away from me which he did. Most uncomfortable evening except for my friend the waiter. At the end the drunk got up and decided to leave by going to the wall instead of the exit.

A more recent one on Princess at a table for 10. First night one elderly couple and that was all. She kept asking me where I was from (told her) and did I like to travel alone (yes). Said her boy friend had been in the air force and bombed Germany in WW II so figured he was about 90. Next night - they were gone but 2 couples came for 2 nights. Ran into them the next day at the pool when they said they were going to an alternate restaurant and implied they'd be doing that often - at the last moment. That night I saw the maitre 'd whom I had met at a special get together and asked to be moved to another table where I had seen people having a good time. He did and I had a great time from then on.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012