Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2010, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Uncomfortable in ports of call?

Have you ever been in a port and felt uncomfortable for any reason? We know in some Caribbean ports, you can be accosted to buy anything and everything.....once I saw it go bad, but could not understand what they were yelling....

Have you ever felt yourself in any danger, by perhaps going off the beaten path ? The red flag go up?

Once in St Thomas,a man came over to us, and started a conversation, much of which we could not make out,...I did get Hard Rock, out of it...unbeknownst to us, a policeman was watching what was takng place, and soon came over and scooted him away. It seems he was a drug dealer, and the cop said he probably wanted to mail us something at home. I didn't gleen that from the babble he was saying, but we trusted the policeman, and was very glad he was watching over us....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2010, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Jamaica - particularly Ocho Rios ... I don't like being hassled and they never stop, so for quite a few years I treat that as a sea day. Actually haven't been to Montego Bay for a lot of years but hear that's the same.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:09 PM
Admiral

To be honest I think you can easily get into trouble anywhere if you go to the wrong places, & I get quite cross when people say places are "perfectly safe" when nowhere actually is. Some are worse than others, but places like Barbados that I know quite well, have this reputation of being safe when the term should be "safer" & I am not even sure of that now. At risk of being predictable I too would say the Jamaica was the most troubled place we have been, & that was for 2 weeks. To be fair though we have only travelled in Europe, USA (downtown Orlando isn't all sweetness either!), & the Caribbean. Indian Ocean doesn't really count as you are in & out.
Old July 6th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Admiral

about the only time we felt uneasy was when we were in LaGuaira Venezeula, we were on a ships excursion, traveling by van to our destination, they had to stop at a store to pick up provisions and the driver told us all to stay in the van, keep the windows rolled up and the doors locked
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Default St.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Have you ever been in a port and felt uncomfortable for any reason? We know in some Caribbean ports, you can be accosted to buy anything and everything.....once I saw it go bad, but could not understand what they were yelling....

Have you ever felt yourself in any danger, by perhaps going off the beaten path ? The red flag go up?

Once in St Thomas,a man came over to us, and started a conversation, much of which we could not make out,...I did get Hard Rock, out of it...unbeknownst to us, a policeman was watching what was takng place, and soon came over and scooted him away. It seems he was a drug dealer, and the cop said he probably wanted to mail us something at home. I didn't gleen that from the babble he was saying, but we trusted the policeman, and was very glad he was watching over us....
A woman working for me was native to St.Thomas and prior to taking my caribbean cruise she told me what not to do there .When we were there we were approached by a guy who wanted to sell us a tour by donkey .The idea was to get tourists to a desolate area and rob them .This was one of the things I was told about and I conveyed this to people on the cruise .
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Admiral

I was on that same excursion going to Caracas..whatta ride, but we made no stops...on excusions there, we were told not to wear obvios jewlery, many cruisers didn't listen though....we were there, not long after a coup, but, oddly, we weren't scared...even seeing soldiers everywhere, with machine guns!

Old July 6th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Passenger

I remember on our very first cruise, a 3 day to the Bahamas on RCCL, in the early 90's. We were pestered by a horse carriage driver to go for a ride and told him politely 3 times, "No thanks". He yelled back at us, "Bohemians!"

Ha ha, I still find it funny whenever I think of it.

Sorry to be off topic, so in answer to your question......nope, nothing seems to faze me nowadays.
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Admiral

yes Trip, thats the excursion we went on, actually we had to stop at a liquor store to provision the excursion, which we thought was a bit strange
Old July 7th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Admiral

Quite a few years ago, in Montego Bay, Jamaica, I had rented a motorcycle, and had stopped at a gas station to fill it with fuel. I was minding my own business when I had the feeling that maybe, just maybe I should look up. I did, and found that I was almost totally surrounded by a group of men, who didn't look particularly friendly. I figured I didn't stand a chance against 7 or 8 of 'em, so I just went on about my business, and pretended not to be alarmed. After finishing the fueling, I jumped aboard with the little woman, and sped off! They didn't try to knock me off the bike, or assault me, so I'm still not sure what their intentions were.....All's well, that ends well I guess.
I'm still quite careful,,,especially in Jamaica. No Problem MON!

"SKY"
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have the same feeling in Jamaica....Just don't care for any locals approaching us and offering taxi's, etc....The big thing that I dislike is having to say "no thank you" and they just don't let up...You want to feel welcome in a different country and have a fairly safe feeling, I just don't get that in Jamaica, while the country is absolutely beautiful, what a shame.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Admiral

Jamaica is one port, where I would never stray off the beaten path. Even the all inclusives, the guests mostly stay within the confines of the resorts....How many posts right here, do we read, people staying, on the ship to avoid harrassment. I think if and when, Cuba opens up, Jamaica could be dropped on some itineraries...

Old July 7th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

We traveled to Jamaica in the 80's and stayed at the Holiday Inn prior to our cruise. The hotel was completely fenced in and we were warned not to venture past the gates. When we did to purchase some beverages, we were accosted by folks who were not friendly or trustworthy. We just went back to the hotel. In Ocho Rios at the straw market, we were accosted by folks wanting to sell us "anything" which we refused and got back on the bus. We are cautiously careful when traveling and try not to be so suspicious but we are careful in any event.
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Angry Unwelcome

Although we had travelled S. America and many untouristy places in the Caribbean I never felt so threatened as we did on our first cruise in Ochos Rios.. yet, I've been to Caracas and Cartegena and felt very safe.. On the other hand.. I have never felt so unwelcome lately as we have in St. Barts where the cruisers are looked down on and treated like unwanted visitors by LOCAL shop owners..Yet, we were made to feel welcome in the designer shops..This was as I was attempting to buy a necklace in a little tourist shop and the owner completely ignored us (I ended up with the funky necklace).. and I swear to you this happened.. Parrot Pop and I went to buy a sorbet and I offered my euros and took my sorbet outside.. parrot pop had the rest of the euros (I had more in my bag outside) and as he paid and was eating his sorbet the owner took his sorbet away from him telling him he didn't have enough euros...In another shop the owner was upset because I did not want to buy at her "sale price" two caftans..
Old July 12th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Jamaica is one port, where I would never stray off the beaten path. Even the all inclusives, the guests mostly stay within the confines of the resorts....How many posts right here, do we read, people staying, on the ship to avoid harrassment. I think if and when, Cuba opens up, Jamaica could be dropped on some itineraries...
Very true, stayed at an all inclusive in Ocho Rios and left property to go to a "local market", mistake. I love those markets where all the crafts are supposed to be local but it seems as if every stand is selling the same thing, mass produced junk. I personally am going to try to stick to planned excursions inseatd of just wandering around a port and attempting to see the local sights, theres only so many times I can go into Diamonds International or Effy Jewelers.

On a lighter note Grand Cayman was the best place I had been as far as locals not hassing me or my wife, lovely port.