Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Passenger

Smile Inside Cabin vs. Other Cabins

In your opinion, is it worth spending the extra money for a cabin with a window/balcony.. or do you feel it is a waste of money?

How much more enjoyable is an outside cabin vs. an inside cabin?

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Well, there are two sorts of people, those who go for the cheapest cabin they can because they say they spend little time in their cabin, & those who prefer a nicer cabin with a balcony or more room & these people tend to spend more time in the cabin....my theory is that those who don't spend much time in their cabin would do so if they had a nicer cabin. You can never say never but we feel we would rather not go than have an inside unless it was a short cruise in a cool climate. We love to wake up & pull the curtains to see the sunrise & have early breakfast on our balcony, as we also like to relax out there in the evening. Private place to sit in the sun too if not too hot.
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Admiral

I can only tell you about our experience. One time we had a balcony (it was a very nice upgrad from an inside) and other than while in port we never used it. And then we did not spend a lot of time there as we did not stay on the ship while inport. We did spend some time there when leaving port.

We always book an inside as we really don't spend time in the cabin. So for us it is not worth spending more. Our next 2 cruises are PT cabins on Carnibal, which is under the guise of an inside but has a porthole or 2. But the cost is the same as many insides.

Now there are a lot of people on here who do always get a balcony and use it.

So if you really think you will use the balcony go for it, if what you want is really just sunlight then go for an ocean view. Bu tit really is a personal choice.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Admiral

We have always had an outside ,last cruise we were upgraded to a balcony .I was on it less than 2 minutes .My wife was on a total of about 30 minutes .
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

This is so subjective...for us, we don't spend tons of time in the cabin, but I want the window, at the very least...we had one inside, years ago, and I won't book it again...

For us, we want the natural light, and the ability to see the ports as we cruise in, and when we do have a balcony to sit out and enjoy.

For itineraries, like Alaska, or the Panama Canal, it's a great luxury to see what's right outside the window or door...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 7th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Beginner

I think it depends if you are using cabin like a hotel room. Just to sleep in.
If its just a place to lay your head and get showered and dressed, why bother paying for a balcony cabin. You can use all the ship facilities for sitting around, relaxing. After all thats what the facilities are there for. You could probably do two cruises in an inside, for the price of a good balcony.
But if you prefer a bit private relaxing time, well then go for the balcony.
Its all down to choice.
Old July 7th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Passenger

Default Cabin choice

All valid points made here, we have only done 2 cruises but had a balcony each time. The first one - Alaska - definately worth the balcony, the 2nd one - Baltics - again - worth the balcony. Both were upgrades from an outside cabin. It's great arriving somewhere early in the morning and watching the scenery / views as you approach. It has to be a matter of choice and what you'd prefer - a big difference in price yes but for some itineries well worth it. Make sure you look at which side of the boat is cruising alongside the land (port or starboard - I always get them mixed up !)and choose your cabin wisely - you may miss the views otherwise ! Happy sailing !
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Admiral

Well......if we want to read or just sit around & we can't be up on deck we sit on our balcony & watch the world (or the sea) go by, people who have inside cabins tend to have nowhere to go & haunt the public areas, like bars & coffee shops, therefore using up all the seats preventing those who actually want to buy something from sitting down. We use our balcony most in the morning & evening before dinner. We can be having breakfast watching the port appear, while those in an inside cabin on "Z" deck don't even know it's daylight. Up to you of course, & it DOES depend on price. We always go for the best cabin we can barely afford.
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I always get a balcony and do use it. Not that I spend a lot of time in the cabin, but the time I do, I have the balcony to enjoy, especially like it early in the AM and again late in the evening before I go to sleep.

Sounds like it is more of a personal preference and what you like and are used to. For many, once they have a balcony, its next to impossible to go back to an inside.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Admiral

We are the balcony people, we have done inside, oceanview and balcony and will only book a balcony. We have our breakfast out on the balcony, a cocktail before dinner maybe, sit out on our balcony as we are coming into and leaving port, its just a nice place to veg away from the crowds
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I am someone who prefers a balcony. I did an inside once............once.

When I had the inside cabin it was on Statendam. While it was a nice sized cabin, (180 sq. ft.) great ship and a fantastic fourteen day China/Asia itinerary, I developed inside cabin psychosis after three or four days. I wanted to rip the fake curtains off the wall. Yeah: Like there's really a window back there. I wanted to drag the useless couch outside and throw it overboard. All it did was take up space and serve as a place to pile stuff on. Can you say someone got a bit "grumpy".

In the morning I was out of that cabin so fast it would make your head spin. I was the guy on deck at 5:30 a.m. in a t-shirt and sweat pants.

The thing I really noticed, on that cruise, was that there were MANY people sleeping in the public lounges. I guess it's OK to get out of the cabin but don't make the lounges look like the day room at Happy Acres.

Now it's only a balcony cabin. Someday I may try an outside cabin but it will be a short cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 7th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Admiral

''The thing I really noticed, on that cruise, was that there were MANY people sleeping in the public lounges. I guess it's OK to get out of the cabin but don't make the lounges look like the day room at Happy Acres.''
I have said this quite a few times, once my wife & I were wondering why people were doing this, then we just "got it".... they had nowhere else to go, a bit like an old fashioned British seaside "Bed & Breakfast" where you got chucked out in the morning.
Old July 7th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Passenger

I think I've fallen asleep in the Explorer's lounge once, but it was only for a few minutes. I think it would look tacky if I saw a lounge filled with people sprawled out on a chair snoozing away.

Old July 12th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Familiar Face

I've only ever had in inside cabin so I guess I'm luck as far as I don't know what I am missing. I do like the complete and total darkness of sleeping in an inside cabin, though it does tend to make you sleep in a bit...

Old July 12th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Admiral

johnthed0g from your post "Well......if we want to read or just sit around & we can't be up on deck we sit on our balcony & watch the world (or the sea) go by, people who have inside cabins tend to have nowhere to go & haunt the public areas, like bars & coffee shops, therefore using up all the seats preventing those who actually want to buy something from sitting down. "

I take exception to this. You are trying to make that people who have inside cabins don't spend any extra money on a cruise. Some people like us take inside cabins so we do have the extra money to spend on board. I have seen many times when those with inside cabins spend as much if not more than those in balconies.

Are people in inside cabins not allowed to be any place other than the cabin.

The public areas are for anyone to use. If someone is not spending money and causing others who do want to spend to not be able to sit then I'm sure someone would say something to them about moving on.

With these thoughts of yours it definitely makes you one person I would not want to meet on board. But I do hope that you are always able to enjoy any cruise you are on.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old July 12th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb1050 View Post
johnthed0g from your post "Well......if we want to read or just sit around & we can't be up on deck we sit on our balcony & watch the world (or the sea) go by, people who have inside cabins tend to have nowhere to go & haunt the public areas, like bars & coffee shops, therefore using up all the seats preventing those who actually want to buy something from sitting down. "

I take exception to this. You are trying to make that people who have inside cabins don't spend any extra money on a cruise. Some people like us take inside cabins so we do have the extra money to spend on board. I have seen many times when those with inside cabins spend as much if not more than those in balconies.

Are people in inside cabins not allowed to be any place other than the cabin.

The public areas are for anyone to use. If someone is not spending money and causing others who do want to spend to not be able to sit then I'm sure someone would say something to them about moving on.

With these thoughts of yours it definitely makes you one person I would not want to meet on board. But I do hope that you are always able to enjoy any cruise you are on.
I agree with nlb .. I always have had an inside cabin, but I don't like being told that I "haunt" the public areas.. I enjoy them just like everybody else does. Lounges are there for people to sit, read, take in the scenery. I only get an inside cabin because I don't like being cooped up all day and I like to have that little extra $$ to go on excursions, go shopping, etc..

Old July 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Captain

I think the cabin you choose has a lot to do with "age" When we first started cruising in the 80's, we were up at the crack of dawn-I have a zillion pictures of sunrises to prove it! We used the cabin to sleep, shower and change-we were worried we'd miss something. I think our first 5 cruises were inside cabins-the money we saved went toward excursions. Then we tried an outside and,of course,there was no going back. Last year, we decided to get a balcony because we are not so active (haven't taken a picture of a sunrise in 10 years) and spend way more time in our cabin. 25 years ago, breakfast on a balcony was no big deal but now it's one of lifes luxuries!
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old July 12th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Passenger

Thanks all for your advice.. I think next time I cruise I will go for the balcony!