Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

View Poll Results: Do You Want More dining options?
I love the idea of many dining options, and don't mind paying Xtra 13 40.63%
I'd prefer only one or two options outside the dining rooms 7 21.88%
I won't pay extra for food on a ship 5 15.63%
Food options don't enter my thinking when deciding what cruise to book 7 21.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default POLL - Move to More Dining Options - Great OR Money Grab?

The move of late has certainly been to new ships adding more and more dining options; lots of different themed restaurants, and of course, many coming with a surcharge free for the pleasure of using those facilities.

Do you like the idea of more choices?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Admiral

To me being on a cruise is akin to being in a hotel in the Catskills in the 1960's where you could eat as much as you desired . I eat in the main dining area 100% of the time with an occasional visit to the buffet area .
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Captain

The question is....just how much food can we eat? We've done over a dozen cruises and not once have we eaten in a specialty restaurant. And not just because of the surcharge-we cruise Celebrity most of the time and have always been very satisfied with the MDR food. We're not accustomed to spending $200 plus to dine out at home so we don't miss it on a cruise. I like the option of alternative dining in the buffet (love sushi), breakfast in the MDR or on the balcony, and a snack by the pool. I maybe wrong but I think the more dining options there are, the more likely the quality of the food going down.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old July 12th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Admiral

I enjoy eating in the MDR - but I like the option to have a good meal elsewhere if I have a conflict or just want to eat at a different time.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old July 13th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Having options, means choice, a great thing! To go or not to go...to have the availability to select only to dine in the free options, is key for many many cruisers. I do like the option NCL has, of bundling the pay options at a special price...Something for everbody, is great.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 13th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Captain

Cruise lines spend between $5 million and $10 million for installation of EACH alternative restaurant and galley on a ship.
The cover charges run anywhere from $15 to $40 per person.
These restaurants rarely serve more than 100 people per night on very busy nights.
They often serve far fewer.

They generally feature food items that cost them far more than the "regular" food in the dining rooms.

If you do the math, most of these restaurants will never even pay for their physical elements over the entire life of the ship. They will never some even close to paying for the high cost foods, special equipment, and additional staff. Where's the "money grab"?
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Admiral

Bruce..

I don't see where anyone even close to using the term "money grab". You must just be used to defending against it

In my past I was involved in the opening of several restaurants (one high end), and at least on land it's pretty hard to spend $5 million on one restaurant.
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

With all the dining options open to us all while on a cruise ship, the last few cruises where they have the open dining, I've tried to get traditional and could not. One cruise I was on a wait list with hundreds in front of me....I think they need to put back some seating for that??

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 14th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Admiral

We have never gone to an extra pay resturant on a cruise and don't plan on doing so in the future. With one exception we have always been happy with the food in the MDR. And that exception we both felt was due to the fact that the line really wants people to go to the extra pay resturants on board or to the smaller non extra pay on board, though we had an extremely hard time trying to get reservations at the smaller ones and when we did get in the food still was not much better than the MDR. I'm sure you can figure out what line I am talking about and we will not be cruising with them again.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I like having different dining options and the ability to set my time to go. I voted for number 1 but there would be a limit. If the price is more than $30 per restaurant it is too much.

I also need to have included restaurants available and that serve decent food.

If the Star Cruises model was implemented fleetwide (Your included dining options are dictated by how much you paid) I would have an issue. NCL is going that route but at this time they haven't gone completely over to it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Admiral

I really dislike the whole MDR concept of dining with strangers, forced small talk, etc. I want a lovely dinner with my husband or friends so having lots of alternatives to the MDR works for us. $20 - $25 per person I have no issue with and of course tables for 2 work just fine in the MDR. The more we cruise the more we find we're escaping the MDR for a little bit more intimacy in our dining.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Admiral

I do like to have the choice. We always eat in an alternative at least once every cruise.

On our last cruise, on the Solstice, we would have eaten in alternative every night even we had been able. We thought the food was less than sub-par in the dining room.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old July 15th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Bruce..

I don't see where anyone even close to using the term "money grab". You must just be used to defending against it

In my past I was involved in the opening of several restaurants (one high end), and at least on land it's pretty hard to spend $5 million on one restaurant.
Kuki,

I never heard any passengers calling it a money grab. I first saw this term on the very first post in this thread - made by you. See below.

"POLL - Move to More Dining Options - Great OR Money Grab?"

I was also in the restaurant business in America I opened and operated the most expensive restaurant in the USA for many years. We spent about $5 million to open it in the 1980's. But it was far nicer than anything you see on a ship.

But anything you build on a ship costs far, far more than the same thing on land. The last time passengers on my ship lit candles and burned up their cabin, we charged them US$40,000 for repairs. They got quite a deal. The actual repairs cost us nearly double that amount.
Comparing the $75,000 we spent to repair a tiny cabin that was already built, $5 to $10 million for building a new 100 seat specialty restaurant (with galley) seems quite reasonable.
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Bruce...

You're right! I read all the replies, but didn't read the title I used! DUH!!

Teach me to post before I've had my pot of coffee and and am awake.

STUPID title!!
Old July 15th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Admiral

We have tried the specialty restaurant. It was excellent, but not enough for me to do again. I can't say I will never go back to the specialty restaurants. But for now I'm sticking with the MDR. The food items are not different enough from the MDR. If the specialty restaurant was a theme like a French restaurant then we might go back. On Carnival and Celebrity the specialty restaurants are nice steak houses I can get that on land or in the MDR. I want something new and different that I can't in the MDR. Oh I know I want a Teppanyaki restuarant. I should explain what that is. Benihana is aTeppanyaki restuarant, you are seated in front of an iron grill and meals are theatrically prepared by a knife-wielding, joke-telling chef. I would pay extra from that. I think a lot of people would, look how popular the mongolian bbqs are on the Carnival ships.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 15th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
We have tried the specialty restaurant. It was excellent, but not enough for me to do again. I can't say I will never go back to the specialty restaurants. But for now I'm sticking with the MDR. The food items are not different enough from the MDR. If the specialty restaurant was a theme like a French restaurant then we might go back. On Carnival and Celebrity the specialty restaurants are nice steak houses I can get that on land or in the MDR. I want something new and different that I can't in the MDR. Oh I know I want a Teppanyaki restuarant. I should explain what that is. Benihana is aTeppanyaki restuarant, you are seated in front of an iron grill and meals are theatrically prepared by a knife-wielding, joke-telling chef. I would pay extra from that. I think a lot of people would, look how popular the mongolian bbqs are on the Carnival ships.

I love those. When we go back to Winnipeg for a visit we always go to one there. It's been there, in the same place for over 50 years. We found one when we were in Tahiti as well. I would definitely pay extra for that.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

If the food was not good in the MDR (main dining room) I would say they are money grabs, but in fact I find the food in the MDR to be very decent on most ships - including NCL which has the most alternative restaurants onboard.

I personally like the alternative restaurants very much and find the food to be of excellent quality - worthy of what you pay to dine in them.
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

NCL has Tepanyaki restaurants on most of their ships. They are really one of my least favorites. They are fun but the quality of the chefs and the food is far below what you would find at a Benihana, Samurai or Ichiban.

If you go: Go for the fun and not for the food. Go to Cagney's or Le Bistro for the food.

Take care,
Mike (Who would really love some Cagney's clam chowder right now)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Admiral

It's a shame the food isn't good at the NCL's Tepanyaki restaurant. It's kind of like the mongolian bbqs on the Carnival ships are not of the quality of the land restaurants we have here in California. On Splendor I ended up trying the mongolian bbq once was disappointed and moved on. I'm getting picker in my old age.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 19th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Captain

Default Choice is Good

I like having multiple options for dining. It, IMHO, isn't a money grab unless the main dining room food is horrible. I had a cruise on Carnival and my waiter told me that the Tuesday menu wasn't going to be that good and if we wanted to try the alternative restaurants, that was the day to do it. I didn't listen and he was right, the food wasn't bad, just nothing to write home about like the other nights were.

I have ate in the alternative restaurants on Carnival and Princess and Carnival is much better. As a matter of Fact, I had a steak in the alternative restaurant on the Island Princess that was just about the worst I ever had.

Options are good, just as long as the cruise lines don't go overboard and do away with meals included in the price.

Happy Cruzin
Tim

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15