Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default So sorry about your luggage:(

Have you ever been at the mercy of the luggage gods,and had your luggage go missing along the way,to end up, with no bags for your cruise?

We once had a tablemate, who had taken a puddle jumper,then a large carrier, to find herself with no luggage, and seven days ahead, with no clothes, and all the things needed, to have a pleasant cruise, floating around in la la la land

Our cruise had sea days at the beginning so, it was a few days till her luggage finally was able to make it to our first port of call. While the ship, was not at fault...RCI did give her a stipend for this and that.

On another cruise, I once saw a woman, around and about for days,wearing the same clothes, I figured, she too too must have fallen victim to the dreaded luggage demon!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Admiral

it hasn't happened to us on a cruise, but it did happen to us on our honeymoon in Jamaica. We were in Ocho Rios and our luggage went to Montego Bay, so it was only a matter of a few hours before our luggage arrived, we were lucky, its still stressfull for a little while then you just accept the fact that its only clothes and oh well i guess i will just have to do a little shopping lol
Old July 13th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Admiral

Happened to my wife on our first cruise. First stop was Key West - the bag caught up with us there.
We met a couple on a Southern Caribbean cruise, his bag didn't catch up with him until about mid-week. Carnival provided him a tux for formal nights. The second formal night he was in his own suit (he should have stuck with the tux

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Admiral

I seem to only lose my luggage on buses go figure. I took a plane back from Venice, Italy to Frankfurt, Germany to Los Angeles, California to Sacamento, California. We changed airlines all 3 times (Lufthansa, Air India, and American Airlines) I didn't lose my luggage. I took a bus from the cruise terminal in Civitavecchia, Italy to my hotel in Rome. I was missing a bag, the bus people had no interest in helping me find it.:-x Turns out because the bus people packed for badly they had to remove my bag to get to the other bags. They never put it back on the bus. Oddly enough the hotel my bag was at was much nicer then my hotel. I think the piece of luggage wanted an upgrade. Next time I will pay the extra money and hire a car. The was the second time I lost luggage on a bus. I took a greyhound to Lake Tahoe. My luggage made a stop along the way. It took a few hours, but I got it back.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I've not had the airlines lose my bag on my way to a cruise. I have had a couple of instances where the luggage didn't end up in the same place I did but it was always delivered within 24 hours. I try and book a direct flight from home to the city I'm leaving from.

I always make sure I have at least one change of (dining room acceptable) clothes, bathing suit and essentials in the carry on. If worst comes to worst I can wear cruise line logo wear and pick up something in the first port of call.

Though we always hear about the folks who lose their luggage you don't hear of the millions of people who's luggage makes it from point A to point B with no problems.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Admiral

We've been very fortunate that we've never had a case go missing going TO anywhere. It always seems to happen on the way home. I've had mine delayed about 3 or 4 times and my husband's was delayed just this weekend...every single time, it's been coming home...Thank Goodness!

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The worst that ever happened to me was arriving in Venice with no luggage. I didnt get it until the end of the cruise. The cruise line (HAL) was very helpful, however.

But the worst thing was trying to shop for clothes in Venice. You are not going to find a department store in Venice. The only clothing stores I saw at all (other than T-shirts) were selling designer, like Armani, shirts in orange and pink for aboutr $500 apiece.

I finally found a pair of slacks in a tiny shop, and having short legs I had to have them aletered. But it did work out. It was a very anxious afternoon however.

Old July 13th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Passenger

My luggage has missed the ship twice - both times on transatlantic crossings on Cunard. No chance of the bags catching up, made due as I could, and still had a great time!

J
Old July 13th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

So far so good for me. I too pack my dining room slacks & a nice shirt in my carry-on bag just in case.

Only lost bag was on a flight to South America. Never got it.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old July 13th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Julie, I applaude your attitude....I would be, beside myself...yayayay you!!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 13th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Long ago, we traveled to St. Vincent for a bareboat cruise. My husband's bag did not make it for several days. He had jeans and the shirt he wore down on the plane, no swimsuit, nothing. That's when we decided to pack half and half in each bag so that we each had a chance of having something to wear. If we fly anywhere, that's the plan we make. If we drive down, we take our chances. !
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

This almost happened to me on my very first cruise! It was a "girls-only" cruise with family, so I had flown to Phoenix to visit for a few days, and then we all drove to Long Beach. My luggage got lost on the way, but I was very relaxed because for once I had taken a carry-on with extra clothes, and I had a few days until we were leaving town. The next afternoon my sister commented on how odd it was that we hadn't heard from the airlines....so I called, only to be told that they had no record of me ever checking a bag! I freaked and called my hubby (we had used his airmiles for my ticket - and he had splurged on first class!) and he immediately started making calls. He basically told them they had until 8 a.m. the next morning to get my suitcase to me or else I was buying a whole new wardrobe - on their dime! He also got me a $50 voucher for me to go buy what I needed to get me through the day (didn't tell them I had my carry-on!). The luggage did get there later that night, but it made for a really stressful day. Needless to say, the airline heard about what poor customer service they had in this instance!
Old July 14th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Passenger

In June we were going to Alaska on the Island Princess -- since we live on Vancouver Island and we were going over by Greyhound on the ferry to board the ship in Vancouver we didn't pack as we normally do with a few days essentials in our carry on (change of undies, etc). Well, to make a long story short - the bus broke down on the ferry and they couldn't get the luggage bays open -- our luggage sailed back to the island on the ferry
where they cut open the doors to save our luggage -- only problem was we sailed at 4:30 pm and our luggage got back over to Vancouver at 5:00 pm. So we headed up to Alaska with the clothes on our backs (shorts, capris and light jackets), our cameras, binoculars and medications. Greyhound finally got our luggage to us in Juneau on day 4 of a 7 day cruise. Princess was wonderful lending us formal wear at no cost and laundering our few clothes every night. They also gave us essential toiletry bags.

The lesson we learned was, no matter how far we're travelling to board a ship always make sure you have a couple days worth of essentials with you!