CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   The worst thing you ever forgot to pack? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/375250-worst-thing-you-ever-forgot-pack.html)

Paul Motter July 15th, 2010 03:01 PM

The worst thing you ever forgot to pack?

On one of my recent cruises my lovely wife, who is actually nice enough to pack for me, made a small mistake and forgot to pack my underwear.

Now - I had a pair on, and for some reason she did pack one special pair of wash & wear undies - made from a material that dries within a few hours.

So, between the two pairs I was able to make it though the cruise - although it was a challenge.

On other cruises I have forgotten: black socks (I only had white ones, not good for formal nights), a necktie, cufflinks and a bowtie for my tux, and more...

WHAT IS THE WORST THING YOU HAVE EVER FORGOTTEN TO PACK?

Lakers Fan July 15th, 2010 03:27 PM

Extra underwear . My return flight was delayed 24 hours .I was fortunate to find a store that sold underwear .

johnthed0g July 15th, 2010 03:43 PM

Definately the socks & cufflinks....my wife is in charge of the packing department....still my fault though.........

Paul Motter July 15th, 2010 03:54 PM

Henry... I admit that as 'typical male" I am no laundry expert (as my DW reminds me constantly), but why didn;t you just wash a pair in the sink early on. Or weren't you counting ahead?

green_rd July 15th, 2010 05:05 PM

Forgot a tie last fall. One advantage of staying overnight pre-cruise, it gave us a chance to get a replacement. Don't know how I managed to realize that before boarding. Bought a plaid tie at the Irish shop aboard the Queen Mary - I'll claim it's my tartan though it is not.

Forgot a belt on a business trip - flew in shorts. That was a problem as I had lost weight and my pants were saggin.

Mike M July 15th, 2010 07:10 PM

Xalatan eye drops for glaucoma.

I didn't realize I forgot them until I unpacked for the night in Barcelona. I went to the local Farmacia and I was able to buy the same 1.5ml bottle for 18 Euros. The exact same bottle costs $108 here in the U.S.:shock:

I once forgot a dress belt and I also once didn't pack a sport coat. I packed my tuxedo but I didn't want to wear that to the supper club. A kind Moose loaned me his white dinner jacket and everything worked out fine. It just took him a while to get that "Old Mike Smell" out of it. :D

Take care,
Mike

Shelby July 16th, 2010 10:21 AM

My diaphragm - enough said. :evil:

Lakers Fan July 16th, 2010 10:28 AM

Paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1303602)
Henry... I admit that as 'typical male" I am no laundry expert (as my DW reminds me constantly), but why didn;t you just wash a pair in the sink early on. Or weren't you counting ahead?

That was a thought that never entered my mind ,LOL

Kimbopolo July 16th, 2010 10:50 AM

Binocs

Never had an undergarment issue while traveling but we booked a balcony on our last cruise and I didn't bring binoculars. Never again!!!

Also learned a lesson the other day after sitting on my glasses - pack an extra pair. (All I could think was "thank god I'm not on a ship right now" - a sentiment I don't often have).

Paul Motter July 16th, 2010 11:05 AM

Yes, I usually remember to pack an extra pair of glasses but often I forget. I never stop to think what a disaster it would be to lose them on a trip, especially a special trip to someplace with a lot of sights I had never seen.

I have forgotten camera battery chargers (no fun) so I couldn't take pictures.

Many years ago we were just about to hop into a taxi in NYC to go to the airport to fly to Europe when I realized I had left my passport downtown. I had to do a VERY quick subway dash to go get it. I think I was able to make it roundtrip in about 55 minutes, fortunately we were in the habit of leaving very early for international flights.

I had to get on the A-train at 72/Broadway and change in Times Square to the N and go to 8th st. - run to my apartment and get my passport and do the whole riude in reverse.

The thing about subways is that you never know how long a train will take - you may catch one, or just miss it (which can mean a 20 minute wait).

Why didnt I take a taxi - because they not only cost more, but if traffic is bad they can take longer.

skymaster July 18th, 2010 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1303584)
O

On other cruises I have forgotten: black socks (I only had white ones, not good for formal nights),

You could have done what a friend of mine did for inspection in the Marine Corps one morning. He didn't have any black socks, so he dyed his ankles black with shoe dye! :rolleyes: YES, he did pass inspection! (Navy EOD school, and Navy Captain doing the inspecting. Never would have passed a good Marine officers inspection.) ;-)

KNOCK WOOD, I've never left anything really important at home. I do my own packing, the night before we sail. Drives the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) nuts, but I find that if I do it then, and all at once, I get everything I need.

"SKY"

fallsfoster July 18th, 2010 08:33 AM

I packed up the night before, put my luggage out as directed, the next morning was ready to dress for my flight home. NO BRA!! Had a thin tee shirt to wear.

Usually travel solo. Thankful this time I did not. My roomate had extra underwear (don't remember why) and lent it to me.

Lesson: although traveling solo is fun (I much prefer it)it does require extra vigilence .

So although packing all you need is important leaving out what you need for return trip home is as well.

Paul Motter July 18th, 2010 11:54 AM

Yes - there have been a few times when we had to open our suitcases as soon as we got on shore to get out some vital piece of wardrobe (I think a bra for my wife was one of them).

I know I have forgotten to leave out my toothbrush for disembarkation a few times. (packed it in my suitcase and put it out).

Fern July 18th, 2010 08:14 PM

On our first cruise I was very self-conscious about my weight, so I packed only denim (jeans and dresses)! Nearly had a heat stroke!

Now, short's, skort's and "flowy" skirt's are in my luggage!

I haven't forgotten anything for myself because I'm a "list-maker". Although it wouldn't be fun :(, the only things you really need on a cruise are your passport and a credit card :D!

Ken, I'm very jealous of you and my DH, who also packs the night before we leave :shock: !

I start at least a week before!

Nothin but blue skies August 13th, 2010 04:19 PM

Forgot to pack DH's black socks. He wore my black nylon knee his with his slacks to dinner.:D

When packing up our last night bags tp put in the hall, I left DH a pair of shorts and a tee shirt and no shoes. He only had his black wing-tips left in the cabin and they looked really strange with his shorts and t-shirt the next day (no socks)!:p

cammy116 August 25th, 2010 10:49 AM

Glad we weren't the only ones

Son-in-law forgot black socks. Grandson forgot belt for suit on formal night. Daughter forget charger for camera. The shops on the ship have gotten very clever. We were able to replace/buy everything except the charger for the camera on the ship at the gift shops.

M n O August 26th, 2010 07:06 PM

Sunglasses.
Stockings.
Reading Glasses.
Lucky for the gift shops. I was able to purchase what I needed.

shelle007 August 28th, 2010 12:47 AM

:rolleyes: I forgot my styling products for my hair last cruise. I improvised using hairspray that I had but my hair was still pretty flat. Could have been worse though. Glad I remembered my underwear and socks! rofl

SUSAN CURTIS September 5th, 2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelby (Post 1303732)
My diaphragm - enough said. :evil:

That is too funny!

Truck Cruiser September 8th, 2010 01:33 AM

I wonder if she ended up pregnant?????