Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dhudd
Default Warning...Free Cruise Scam

Yesterday I had a phone call from a "Promotional Call Center" repesenting a recent telephone Survey Research Center. The gal told me that I have just won a "Free 3 Day Cruise" to the Bahamas, ( Grand Bahamas Island). She said that she represented "Caribbean Cruise Lines". She also stated that I had to pay a port tax & fee of $59.00 for each person, $118.00 total to lock in the cruise and had to pay now or the deal was off. She wanted me to pay the $118.00 from a credit card, (she keep on asking for my card number), and told me that if I pay the $118.00 now that I have up to 18 months before I can select the cruise that I want, (she gave me an telephone number of 800-221-8200 to book my cruise). She told me the name of the ship was the "SS Bahama Celibration". I told her that I never herd of that cruise line, and that ship doesn't exist, (these are the same people that had a scam from "Imperial Majesty Cruise Lines, the ships' name was the" Regal Empress", it was scrapped in March 2009). She answered that I could just go on the internet and look up the line, (she keep on tring to say that they were part of Royal Caribbean International Cruise Lines). I replied to her that there is no such line and that she was tring to scam me. I told her that I was recording our conversation and that I was going to notify the FBI. She then quickly hung-up on me.
So bottem line...be careful of cruise scams.
You can go on line to this web site: http://www.ripoffreport.com/Register.aspx

MS Carnival Spirit 10/2006
MS Carnival Victory 12/2005
MS Star Princess 12/2002
MS Carnival Victory 12/2000
USS Bristol County, LST 1198, 1980-1982
USS Turner Joy, DD951, 1973-1978
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Caribbean Cruise Lines and Bahama Celebration are real and legit cruise line and ship.

They do the two and three day Bahama runs. They have taken a couple of ships and brought them up to SOLAS standards and are now using them for "promotional" cruises.

While they are real I would stay away from them. Any "free" cruise that requires you to give them money up front is basically a scam and they will want more of you money later on.

Just skip it and go on a Carnival, Royal Caribbean or other short cruise. It won't cost much more and you know what you are getting.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 16th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have won many, many times too..How lucky we all are

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 16th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Amazingly, I've never won a "free" cruise! I have had a distant relative pass away and leave me lot's of $$$ that I can get if I just send the "attorney" his fee's !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 20th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I received a notice in the mail today for the same thing on the Celebration. There is such a ship if you have been to the Bahamas (Nassua) you might have been tied up next to her.
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Carnival does it, too

Not sure why I see so many threads in which someone says go with a major cruise line like Carnival to avoid scams.

We just went to a Wyndham timeshare presentation in Vegas. We were offered $100 in credit for the slot machines, a $50 gift card and a free four-day cruise ("except for $60 portage fees") on Carnival in exchange for listening to a two-hour presentation at Harrah's that includes a free breakfest.

The presentation lasted four hours, the breakfast was truly inedible (I think they do that on purpose so that by the time four hours are up, you're starved and not thinking straight) and the "free cruise" would cost $156 per person for a cruise that we could get on our own on the Carnival site, all expenses such as tax and fees included, for less than $200 per person.

They made good on the slots credit and gift card, though. We got luicky at the slots, had fun and raked in a bunch of money, the gift card covered a great dinner that we had two-for-one coupons for, so we came out happy with the deal, but be forewarned that these people lie like crazy, you can buy these Wyndham timeshares on ebay for about 5 cents on the dollar, and many people have been unhappily rippsed off.

What surprises me is that a supposedly reputable company like Carnival agrees to be a part of this.
Old March 16th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Familiar Face

My son and Dil just did a 4 day on Carnival for listening to a time share too. I've never heard of other's giving them away like Carnival does.
Old March 16th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Thank you for sharing this info about cruise scams. Although I have never won a free cruise; the amount of money I have spent on cruises and onboard; I should own my own private cabin.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old March 16th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
My son and Dil just did a 4 day on Carnival for listening to a time share too. I've never heard of other's giving them away like Carnival does.

Just to be clear, Carnival doesn't give away cruises for listening to a timeshare pitch. Maybe the timeshare operation gives away a short cruise for listening and buying into their "scam".

Once again, if it sounds to good to be true... .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Familiar Face

Just a bump since I just read an article right here at CM on the subject:

Win a Free Cruise Travel Scams - How not to get taken!
Old March 18th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Thank you they called me today! Oh my

Thank you, they called me today! WOW
QUOTE=dhudd;1303756]Yesterday I had a phone call from a "Promotional Call Center" repesenting a recent telephone Survey Research Center. The gal told me that I have just won a "Free 3 Day Cruise" to the Bahamas, ( Grand Bahamas Island). She said that she represented "Caribbean Cruise Lines". She also stated that I had to pay a port tax & fee of $59.00 for each person, $118.00 total to lock in the cruise and had to pay now or the deal was off. She wanted me to pay the $118.00 from a credit card, (she keep on asking for my card number), and told me that if I pay the $118.00 now that I have up to 18 months before I can select the cruise that I want, (she gave me an telephone number of 800-221-8200 to book my cruise). She told me the name of the ship was the "SS Bahama Celibration". I told her that I never herd of that cruise line, and that ship doesn't exist, (these are the same people that had a scam from "Imperial Majesty Cruise Lines, the ships' name was the" Regal Empress", it was scrapped in March 2009). She answered that I could just go on the internet and look up the line, (she keep on tring to say that they were part of Royal Caribbean International Cruise Lines). I replied to her that there is no such line and that she was tring to scam me. I told her that I was recording our conversation and that I was going to notify the FBI. She then quickly hung-up on me.
You can go on line to this web site: http://www.ripoffreport.com/Register.aspx[/QUOTE]
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Familiar Face

There are ads on TV promoting this same scam. Ad shows pictures of the ship and activities on board. The ad is attractive and I'm sure many people have been sucked in.I live mid way down the east coast of Florida. You were smart to challenge the phony offer
Crusinbill
Old September 19th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Welcome Newcomer

thank you i got the call 2 days ago saying they were from a "Promotional Call Center" repesenting a recent telephone Survey Research Center. The gal told me that I have just won a "Free 3 Day Cruise" to the Bahamas, ( Grand Bahamas Island). She said that she represented "Caribbean Cruise Lines". She also stated that I had to pay a port tax & fee of $59.00 for each person, $118.00 total to lock in the cruise and had to pay now or the deal was off. She wanted me to pay the $118.00 from a credit card, (she keep on asking for my card number), and told me that if I pay the $118.00 now that I have up to 18 months before I can select the cruise that I want, (she gave me an telephone number of 800-221-8200 to book my cruise). She told me the name of the ship was the "SS Bahama Celibration". I told her that I never herd of that cruise line, and that ship doesn't exist, (these are the same people that had a scam from "Imperial Majesty Cruise Lines, the ships' name was the" Regal Empress", it was scrapped in March 2009). She answered that I could just go on the internet and look up the line, (she keep on tring to say that they were part of Royal Caribbean International Cruise Lines). I replied to her that there is no such line and that she was tring to scam me. I told her that I was recording our conversation and that I was going to notify the FBI. She then quickly hung-up on me.
You can go on line to this web site: http://www.ripoffreport.com/Register.aspx[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Cprobinson1981; September 19th, 2011 at 04:04 AM. Reason: forgot information
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You were certainly smart and knew there was no such cruiseline, or a ship that was NOT a Royal Caribbean ship. Can you imagine, there are those that don't know and do fall for these scams...OY.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 12th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Welcome Newcomer

cruise gift, not a scam so far....

We got a post card in the mail saying we got a cruise gift, ..Not a free cruise but a gift, if we would attend this presentation at a local hotel, we attended a 45 min presentation on a vacation type wholesales company, which we weren't going to buy into, and got vouchers for a cruise gift as long as we paid port fees and taxes, this was back in June of this year, we had 30 days to mail in our vouchers to have a chance to cruise on the off season, so we sent in the vouchers, and 3 weeks later they sent us a packet telling us what dates and when we could take the cruise, we had to pay a $99 non refundable fee to book, we paid the fee (cashiers check) and 4 weeks later we got information through the mail and email of the policies and who we could book from...basically we could pick any cruise we wanted off any ship we wanted as long as it was on the off season sept-dec we found the cruise we wanted Dec 11, off carnival for 7 days, they then told us we had to wait 30 days before the cruise ports, and we would get contacted through a travel agent, the agent books directly through the cruise line so when we book and pay the fees we will be able to track our stuff off the carnivals website, we got contacted yesterday by curisegift, giving us a break down of the fees and charges for our trip, we will be paying 159 per person for port fees and 74 for taxes they will be paying the rest, we have 7 days to consider booking or we could extend our cruise into the next year on the off season

basically they have done everything they said they were going to do, i think where people give out is the waiting period, they take forever to respond to your emails, but they tell you in advance they will contact you within 4-6 weeks, and they wait till the last minute to do so, so far we have invested $99 bucks back in June that's it, we got a break down in the email today of our cruise and fees, the cruise we picked is going to cost about $1500 bucks, if we pay the fees for port and taxes it comes to about 400 plus the $99 back in June, its basically taking a cruise for 2 and one goes free,......I will be able to ask the travel agent all the questions i want and also pick a good room or upgrade if i want,....we plan on going i30 days from now.

If i like what the travel agent is saying ill pay the $400 with my credit card and make sure carnival has us in the system and everything is set up as the agent says, if i don't like it i will cancel with my credit card company, i plan on buying insurance for the trip as well....ill keep you posted if things change...ill know all i need to by the end of this week,....
Old November 13th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Admiral

For a 7 day cruise for 2, booking usually requires a $500 deposit. Also, $1500 is more than we usually pay for 7 day on Carnival. One way they will try and wiggle out is by taking your money, then later saying that the ship was full or some such. Make sure that you know what portion of your money is going to the actual booking and that it is adequate to account for the deposit amount required by the cruise line. $400 won't do it.
Just be careful. I hope it works out for you.
Marty
Old November 13th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Admiral

I see these costs adding up, for sure no "free" cruise. Plus there are many restrictions, with time of going, etc...I think you would of been better off jusst booking with a good travel agent and going when you want.

Keep us posted, hope it does work out.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 28th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Admiral

I have been "selected" for two free tickets on Delta - I'll put that with my free cruise card and they can got to the landfill together.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old May 9th, 2012, 03:48 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I know the post is too old to be of real value, but still, I'm on my mission to share the scam information, and since I've read so many negative responds on so many forums, finally I found 2 articles explaining the way this scam works.

Last edited by Mike M; May 9th, 2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Removed commercial link.
Old December 27th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Welcome Newcomer

When I recieved the call, I absolutely thought it sounded too good to be true as well. Luckily for me its right after christmas so being broke actually came in handy for me. I recieved the exact same "promotional cruise speech" and word of mouth is the best advertisement. etc. blah blah blah, then they continued to go on and on about the extended stay upgrade, free car rental, meals, etc. however, I told them even though it all sounds lovely, I cannot give them any money at that exact moment and if they can pull it the following day then sure i'd be interested, but no they wanted the $118 on the spot. I told them it wouldnt go through. So after I hang up with them, I started reading all these online testimonials. So just as a precaution, I called my bank. It showed that they had not only attempted to pull the $118, but made 4-5 more additional attempts for all different amounts, $49, $150, $200, $598. So thats when my financial institution blocked them and will only authorize a payment to them if i call back and personally give that authorization. So shout out to my bank, to Visa and to being broke at the moment because for once it saved me. None of the payments were able to go through
Old December 27th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Admiral

I don't quite understand how they would even know what bank you use and account information, etc....This just doesn't seem real?

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 27th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Admiral

DW and I did get a "free" cruise but we had to listen to a two hour spiel about timeshares. There was taxes and port fees involved.
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Scam Bahamas celebration cruise line

Be careful .tonight I received a call from someone saying they had a free 3 day 2 night cruise to Grand Bahama island. 5 cabins left, all I had to do was give my credit card to pay government port tax of $118. Can take cruise any time in 18 months. All I had to do was take a survey and tell friends about it. Sound too good to be true....I didn't bite. Then looked up and found no cruise line by that name. These guys ate good, don't give your credit card to anyone you don't call yourself.