Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Do you shop onboard?

Teeshirts, magnets, mugs and cups? Still a must buy? Do you buy big ticket items onboard your ship? Have you shopped on the islands,and then came back to buy what you coveted in the ship's jewelry store? Get a fabulous deal on that bauble or pricey watch? Perfume is somtimes a great buy onboard!

Now with the luggage restrictions, are you still schlepping liquor home?

How about the ten dollar sale, and the sidewalk sales..can you fill up that foldable suitcase you packed, or, has your ship shopping changed since the "I will price gouge you till you bleed for that overweight bag?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I window shop, and sometimes buy t-shirts or polos. Princess has the best shopping by the way. On the last day they take a dining room and fill it with logo stuff - all on discount. Everything is sold "as is" at a discount.

I met a regular Princess cruiser who said "on yeah, this is why we cruise on Princess."
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Admiral

I never shop......however, my wife....
Old July 16th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Admiral

We always purchase a ship model of whatever ship we are on if we don't have that ship model yet.

Last December on Princess, we went to the big clearance sale in the dining room, and we bought about 10 t-shirts and 10 hats for pennies of what they would've been in the gift shop. They were all old port t-shirts and hats from former cruises, but they make nice wear around the house items and it reminds us of the ports we have been to. My wife will look at me wearing one and say something like: "Caymen Islands......we swam with the sting rays there!"

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Gee, I have never seen any dining room sales on any of my Princess cruises...I better book a Princess soon

Old July 16th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

sure I usually browse the promenade and if I see something I buy it. My wife buys something every time we cruise; you are correct about buying jewelry on shore and then see it in the store onboard.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Default Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I never shop......however, my wife....

My wife never shops on board ,however ,her husband does
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Familiar Face

Default Watch out

I saw a watch in a ship store that was exactly what I had been looking for--bright yellow face chrono style. I thought it was overpriced so I passed. When I got home I looked all over and could not find a watch like it. Then I went online and wound up paying more for it than I would have on the ship.

If you see something you like buy it...life is short--make the most of your time with a nice watch.
Old July 17th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Always shop, but not always buy. Love looking at their daily sales and sometimes pick up a t-shirt or two, may-be a mug, but that is about it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 17th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Admiral

Cool Shopping on Board-

Oh my!!! Parrot Pop lives for the $10.00 watch sale and admittedly has picked up some very unusual ones.. they work on solar battery or something.. he gets comments from everybody on them, gives them as gifts (our Dentist absolutely loved his after admiring Parrot Pops, our landscaper coveted one). The ones he buys have wide colorful plastic bands and do everything except take your blood pressure.. Meanwhile I've discovered the wide colorful bracelet watches. T-Shirts are all over the place here...especially when they are on sale. For our 50th anniversary we collected t-shirt from all the ports and our ship had an end of the season sale where we were able to buy kiddie shirts to add to the "memory quilt" we were making.. Wish I had saved the t-shirts from our first t/a cruise.. I could start another quilt..As for anything more $$ I have bought makeup (that I uses regularly) and a "shimmering topaz necklace which was set differently than anything I had seen in the ports and of course if on NCL the higher proof Kalhua and if we can find it.. Sheratons Irish liquer..
Old July 17th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I will usually buy a t-shirt, polo or a hat. My wife has purchased two watches onboard. One she had for a couple of years before it died. The other lived for about 12 hours.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 17th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Admiral

I get the magnet and usually the hat ... used to do the ten dollar store/sale until a friend told me those items are sold for that price in airports and all over (Bijoux or something like that).

Got a Citizens Eco watch for a friend on my last trip on Princess - the first two days (if it's over $100) you get 10% off and if you're Elite, you get an additional 10% off. Found the initial price before the discounts was much better than in the states or the islands.

I've bought the two for $40 rings ... and later regretted it cuz I don't wear them.

But, I definitely shop onboard - and recommend pricing onboard and then the islands ... you might find it cheaper on the ship.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old July 17th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Default Fake diamonds

Imagine my surprise to find a newly acquired friend on a cruise who is a retired jeweler shopping with his wife for "diamond studs"...lol. Since his wife leaves any of the "real stuff" at home the faux diamonds studs at then $10.00 a set were perfect for wearing..Did buy a faux tanzanite cocktail ring with great color for under $50.00...Parrot Mom and Parrot Pop are shoppers I guess.. PAUL.. as a former employee of a cruise line, i'm surprised no comment on safety on cruise ships...
Old July 17th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I just started this new topic for cruise shoppers, I am very curious about this if a few REAL shoppers will go indulge me there:

Do You Trust the "Recommended Shopping Programs?"

Parrot Mom.... I'm confused, sorry. Why would I comment on cruise ship safety in a forum thread about shopping? or are you referring to another topic?
Old July 17th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Default accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I just started this new topic for cruise shoppers, I am very curious about this if a few REAL shoppers will go indulge me there:

Do You Trust the "Recommended Shopping Programs?"

Parrot Mom.... I'm confused, sorry. Why would I comment on cruise ship safety in a forum thread about shopping? or are you referring to another topic?
Sorry Paul.. I have been following two sites..my apologies, but I hope you discuss this on the other posting..

BTW I heard a lecturer on our Amazon cruise say something that stays with me...about leaving my $$ with the islanders..I do not buy at the big chain jewelers, but look for handmade items and funky jewelry.. The $7.00 chains of polished semi-precious gem stones bought on the dock in Brazil bring comments from shop keepers and well dressed woman in downtown Boston and the funky necklace from a t-shirt shop in St. Barts is a one of a kind throwback to flower power.. oh yes.. the two necklaces from a craft shop opposite the Opera House in Manaus..yes.. memories and unique
Old July 17th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanks Mike,
I'll remember not to consider purchasing a watch on board....

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 17th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Admiral

I have bought watches onboard purely to wear ashore....even the theives don't want them!!
Old July 17th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Admiral

The dump tables of watches, which have ranges of prices and brands, citizen, bulova etc, was a goldmine for Bruce one year, as he got an Invicta,before they were very well known..he was thrilled. When I worked at Se3ars years ago, we had the same tables dilled to the brim. I have purchased, at the $10.00 sales..pashminas, and, if I see a necklace that has some great beads...I will buy, and dismantle, so I can use those beads in some of my designs. The gold by the inch is the biggest rippoff on the ship....that one boggles my mind...your neck is green before you get home

Old December 19th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Familiar Face

Only for Sherridans!
Old December 19th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Never but I am told I am a 'functional shopper' -

I rarely buy anything ashore either unless I need it and it is much cheaper than in the UK which justifies the extra luggage.