Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Question Do you cocktail?

Somebody asked this question this afternoon. Assuming they were not asking about poultry, I said yes.

What other verbizations (sic) have you heard that caught you off guard.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It is common these days, but I remember the first time I heard the term "obsessing" I couldn't figure out what they were saying.

Sometimes I really abhor slang. We all do it as kids, but when I now hear anyone over the age of 35 saying anything was "awesome" I really want to puke.

Hey, how about "outasight," or "*****in'?" No, no one every really said "groozy." (except for musicians, the word was only allowed to describe certain rhythmic structures or else the sensation one feels walking across the Brooklyn Bridge after an all-night party - the the 60s.)

"disrespecting" is another verbalization that makes no sense. "Man, you be disrespectin' me" or just "dissin' me" for short.

"I am sorry for discounting your feelings." - another phrase that made no sense to me. "Discounting? my feeling were not for sale at any price." - but I get that they meant to say "invalidate"
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Referring to an action or comment made....."Before he died" Um..when else?
''At this moment in time''.....= NOW, I think.
I know these aren't what you mean but I couldn't help it!!
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Default Feeling Groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
It is common these days, but I remember the first time I heard the term "obsessing" I couldn't figure out what they were saying.

Sometimes I really abhor slang. We all do it as kids, but when I now hear anyone over the age of 35 saying anything was "awesome" I really want to puke.

Hey, how about "outasight," or "*****in'?" No, no one every really said "groozy." (except for musicians, the word was only allowed to describe certain rhythmic structures or else the sensation one feels walking across the Brooklyn Bridge after an all-night party - the the 60s.)

"disrespecting" is another verbalization that makes no sense. "Man, you be disrespectin' me" or just "dissin' me" for short.

"I am sorry for discounting your feelings." - another phrase that made no sense to me. "Discounting? my feeling were not for sale at any price." - but I get that they meant to say "invalidate"

Groovy was a term that society used just as hippie was a society defined term .Nobody that I knew who was called a hippie ever referred to themself in that manner
Old July 18th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

When I first heard Katie Couric say, what up with that? I wanted to gag

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 18th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Admiral

A cousin of mine in his mid 50's constantly can be heard saying : "my bad" and "say what ."
Old July 19th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Captain

My Bad and disrespectin me gets my goat. If it doesn't get yours...Whatever!!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old July 19th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Admiral

FINE,,,,,JUST FINE!

Nuf said?

"SKY"
Old July 19th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Administrator
Admiral

"Whatever"

That one really bothers me.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 19th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
"Whatever"

That one really bothers me.

Take care,
Mike
, I think anyone who has or has had a teenage child dislikes this one!

A term that was commonly used when I worked in a restaurant and someone called to say they weren't coming to work was "calling off". I too now use that phrase and sometimes I'm laughed at. I.E. "Jason called off." "What? Jason called WHAT off??"

And what exactly IS cocktailing???
Old July 19th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Admiral

The one thing that really irks me is people who cannot complete a sentence without saying "you know ". There are times when I am listening to a professional athlete being interviewed and both the athlete and the interviewer are using the term .
Old July 19th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Henry,in the same vein, anyone who peppers their conversation, with, "like"

Like ya know, like I so, hate when, like, people talk like that! Like it, really makes me say, what up with that? Oh, like whatevah!!!!!

Another one is the word......"actually"..oy, mama mia!

Old July 19th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Another one ,primarily those speaking Brooklynese is :"yous" .

I have a very distinctive Brooklyn accent but I do not speak brooklynese
Old July 19th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It's funny, because a lot of people have bias against certain accents.

My wife who grew up in Phoenix (which like California has basically no accent) thinks southern people sound "dumb".

I have told her that is just her perception, they are not dumb at all, its just they way they talk.

I used to think New Yorkers sounded unschooled (like who would say "yous guys") but after living there I know it is just an accent and a guy from Brooklyn can have a Master's degree. (and is probably more likely to than a person from AZ because we don't have many top schools here).

A lot of people think AZs have an accent but we don't. I have had people say to me "You don't sound like you're from AZ."

It just goes to show you - its all prejudice. You should never judge a book by its cover - or its audio.

But for grammar, there is nothing I really hate. I saw a guy on MSNBC who was arguing the phrase "you're welcome" is superfluous and that no other culture says it.

I think it is one of the nicer things about the English language, that when someone says "thank you" you can tell them they are welcome to it (as in "it wasn't a favor"). But this guy said he HATES hearing anyone say "you're welcome."

I will say though, I can't stand the way Sarah Palin talks - she cannot put together a complete sentence. I heard she tweeted a new word today "refudiate" (and I don't hate Sarah Palin, but I do think a person's ability to form a sentence reflects on their basic comprehension level of words).

She should be like other politicians and just stick to teleprompters.
Old July 19th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Default Accents

Quote:
It's funny, because a lot of people have bias against certain accents.

My wife who grew up in Phoenix (which like California has basically no accent) thinks southern people sound "dumb".

I have told her that is just her perception, they are not dumb at all, its just they way they talk.

I used to think New Yorkers sounded unschooled (like who would say "yous guys") but after living there I know it is just an accent and a guy from Brooklyn can have a Master's degree. (and is probably more likely to than a person from AZ because we don't have many top schools here).

A lot of people think AZs have an accent but we don't. I have had people say to me "You don't sound like you're from AZ."

It just goes to show you - its all prejudice. You should never judge a book by its cover - or its audio.

But for grammar, there is nothing I really hate. I saw a guy on MSNBC who was arguing the phrase "you're welcome" is superfluous and that no other culture says it.

I think it is one of the nicer things about the English language, that when someone says "thank you" you can tell them they are welcome to it (as in "it wasn't a favor"). But this guy said he HATES hearing anyone say "you're welcome."

I will say though, I can't stand the way Sarah Palin talks - she cannot put together a complete sentence. I heard she tweeted a new word today "refudiate" (and I don't hate Sarah Palin, but I do think a person's ability to form a sentence reflects on their basic comprehension level of words).

She should be like other politicians and just stick to teleprompters.
A childhood friend of mine from Brooklyn was until last year a HS English teacher in Georgia .Try and imagine that .

One of my former co-workers did indeed have a masters degree but would come to work and say " how ya doing ? how are yous guys."
Old July 19th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:

Paul,
The guy on MSNBC was either an idiot or has never ventured out of the U.S.

There are many instances, in different languages, that equate to "You're Welcome."

Spanish: "Gracias" response "da nada"
Portuguese: "Obrigado" response "da nada"
German: "Danke" response "bitte"
Japanese: "Doomo arigato" response "doo itashimashite"

These are what I can think of off the top of my head.

It's called protocol. There are protocols in all communications from verbal to data. And like data protocol, verbal protocols, while being different, have the same basic functions.

Take care,
Mike

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 20th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Y'all must be enjoying 'Real Housewives of New Jersey'!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 20th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Admiral

It bugs me when I see a sports "star" being interviewed on T.V., and every other phrase is "You Know What I'm Saying".
I once had a neighbor, a Colonel in the Army, who's wife held a Masters degree, IN ENGLISH, from the University of Georgia. She constantly would say things like, "The dinner was burned, and just "ruint", or "I need to carry my boys down to "Walgrins" to get my prescriptions". HUH?????

"SKY"
Old July 20th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Certain colloquialisms are strictly regional. The one that comes to mind is, the word drug, instead of drag or dragged. This one baffles me though.

Example:I drug, the suitcases into the car, instead of, I dragged the suitcases into the car. Someone recently held up a newspaper headline on tv,with the word drug, so the local press uses the word as well.

I think words or phrases sometimes will add to the charm of a region, giving it a certain flavor, of it's own, but this one I don't get. That's ok though

Old July 20th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I'm glad Trip spelled colloquialism for me as that's what I was going to say to Sky. I love the Georgia colloquialisms. I would take the Colonels wife in a minute. (Oops-I did marry a gal from Georgia, once.) I think it's great to say 'carry' if that's the 'proper' colloquialism for the area. Who I'm I to be judging them? They also have no traffic lights or signals in Georgia. They are ALL red lights, no matter the color at the time. They also say 'hey' in Georgia just as we do in Texas. Like Brian Wilson said, "Southern girls with the way they talk they keep their........

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 20th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Admiral

The Texas residents that I've met over the years tend to say weren't as opposed to wasn't .