Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Trip - there was a long thread on the Carnival board about a year ago. A couple had some tequila at a jewelry store in Cozumel and woke up bloodied in their stateroom. Allegedly they were banned from cruising on Carnival again.
HHmmm.. it seems there is something missing in this story, but I am not sure I care anymore

But it does fit in with the topic of dangers of cruising... so thank you!
Old July 17th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Here is another danger (trying to stay on topic here)...

"Approved Shopping Stores"

Remember, Anita Potter did an article on a Greek store that put up an "Approved Store" sign that someone bought some trinket at and it turned out that it was somehow bogus - and then they found out the store was not on the apporved list?

I don't know about you, but I have naver really taken "approved shoppoing" very seriously. The idea of trying to get a refund from a Caribbean store just because it was on a cruise line's list never seemed like a very sure thing to me.
Old July 17th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

As the cruise ships sail from the ports, into the sunset, the store owners are kicking their heels. I do think all the majors, would try and intercede if there was a major issue with a piece, but buyers remorse, must draw plenty of giggles,and a big sorry!

I do know in St Maarten specifically, once the ships sail, the prices come down and the locals buy..$1.00 beers everywhere, so you can be sure it's similar in the other Caribbean ports.

Cruise ship approved shops do not mean much to me..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 17th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Admiral

When the ship sails the bit they change is the local dollar sign, I swear they change it to $US & back after!!
Old July 19th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Captain

Cartgena Columbia is the worst place I have been for feeling insecure. Vendors are like 5 to 1 to tourists and there are armed guards stationed around with AK47's. I would never suggest getting off the ship and doing "Your own thing" there. As a matter of fact, I always take a ship shore excursion the first time I go to some place I haven't been before. It gives me a chance to scope things out and see if it is a safe place to do our own thing instead of a ship excursion.

The truth of the matter is that anyone can be assaulted anywhere! There is no town totally safe in America or abroad so you should always be watchful and wary.

Happy sailings
Tim

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Old July 19th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Things need to change,and, it seems it will be slow to do so....

Coki beach remains deserted after shooting - News - Virgin Islands Daily News

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 19th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Since we have a lot of cruiser that cruise from Florida and not the Long Beach/San Pedro. I will say the most dangerous cruise port out of the West Coast is Enseneda. The Cruise lines do this port on the 3 and 4 days cruises and also on Hawaiian cruises as the international port. I'm not sure if the cruiser on Hawaiian cruise get off the ship or if the ship just parks for an hour then moves on. Pushy vendors, homeless childern selling chicketts, dirty streets, drunk people peeing in the street, and people offering to sell you drugs or jewerly. This is the only cruise stop were I won't get off the ship and I like to get off the ship and explore. Vancouver Canada had a "scary" part of town that we walked through. Most of Vancouver was fine just this one area was not so hot it was some where near China town area. So be careful there also.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 19th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Passenger

I have travelled all over the world and have found that having a good attitude and taking a few precautions have allowed me at 65 years to have avoided any problems. Things like NOT exposing tempting jewelry, DON'T use an expensive handbag, WALK down the middle of the street keeping away from doorways and alleys in quiet areas, ALWAYS leave a tip on your pillow as most thieves won't steal when you are thinking of them, most important "TURN YOUR RADAR ON". & Don't manifest trouble with fears that attract the problem that you are trying to avoid.
Old July 19th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Passenger

Cool Don't Manifest What you Fear

I have travelled all over the World and at 65 have never had a problem. First have a positive attitude! People are basically good when you expect the good within them. A few pre-cautions that have helped keep me safe:

Never expose your expensive Jewelry on the street

Never carry a designer handbag (even a knockoff)

Walk down the middle of the street in quiet areas avoiding doorways

Keep your cash next to your body or in your shoe

Always leave a tip on your pillow as even thieves have a problem stealing from people who take care of them

Always overtip your bartender and you will find them protecting their best customers from savory characters and will chase you down with things you might have left behind

Be creative in hiding items of importance in your room that may not fit in the safe!

Your own fears will attract the exact problem that you fear.

Most important "Turn your Radar on"

Mimi sailing on Epic July 24th
Old July 19th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by maimmi View Post
I have traveled all over the World and at 65 have never had a problem. First have a positive attitude! People are basically good when you expect the good within them. A few pre-cautions that have helped keep me safe:

Never expose your expensive Jewelry on the street

Never carry a designer handbag (even a knockoff)

Walk down the middle of the street in quiet areas avoiding doorways

Keep your cash next to your body or in your shoe

Always leave a tip on your pillow as even thieves have a problem stealing from people who take care of them

Always overtip your bartender and you will find them protecting their best customers from savory characters and will chase you down with things you might have left behind

Be creative in hiding items of importance in your room that may not fit in the safe!

Mimi sailing on Epic July 24th
Excellent post Maimmi

This is VERY true. The people who are the most afraid seem to be the people who are the biggest targets.

There is a big difference in being "afraid" and being observant. Watch what is going on around you but don't obsess.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 19th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Years ago, we had a mishap with a scooter in Grand Cayman. They insist that you take out their insurance, which we gladly did and while the scooter did sustain some damage, they took it upon themselves to go ahead and bill our credit card for $600...Of course we disputed it and eventually had it taken off. Made me wonder, what the heck did we pay for the insurance for anyway?? They never had a working phone number, the local police couldn't even contact them at the time, wrote them many letters that went unanswered and I have a feeling my credit card company had the same problem, so they reversed the charge...

Yes, so beware of renting scooters, will never again...

I'd also recommend that when in a port, just stay in the major tourist area or do an excursion either with the cruiseline or a reputable company...

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:17 AM
Familiar Face

Quote;"Your own fears will attract the exact problem that you fear.

The people who are the most afraid seem to be the people who are the biggest targets.

There is a big difference in being "afraid" and being observant. Watch what is going on around you but don't obsess."Quote

This is so true.

Don't take more than a few dollars and limit jewelry to some you can do without. Be confident. Walk with purpose and your head up.
Personally, I carry my knife...just in case things go completely sideways I will not go down without a fight. I will give them my money and my credit cards but not my life...without a fight. They'll wish they'd left when they had it good.
This is one of my complaints about traveling outside the USA. Only the bad guys are armed. The authorities strip us of all that we can protect ourselves with, and these people ashore know that. I wish I could pack my gun. But that's just me.
Old January 18th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Admiral

On our Sapphire cruise to Mexico . A passenger was robbed as he walked from the port to Cathedral thru the old town.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess