Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Do You Trust the "Recommended Shopping Programs?"

Do you trust the cruise lines just because they say they have recommended shopping? Do you believe their guarantees when they say they will refund any purshase made in a recommended store?

By the way - I found the web site for the guaranteed shoppers program, and it recommends "registering" all of your purchases. Did you know about this - and do you know if it is required to register a purchase before you get your guarantee?

Worldwide Port & Shopping Revenue Program, Cruise Marketing

PURCHASE PROTECTION GUARANTEE FOR CRUISE PASSENGERS

Shop with confidence at each of the recommended Stores in Port. All recommended store listed on the shopping map you received while on your cruise have paid a promotional fee and given their Buyer's Guarantee. This guarantee is valid for 30 days after purchase. The following conditions apply to the guarantee:
  • This guarantee is valid for repair or exchange
  • Guest negligence or buyer's remorse is excluded
  • Electronics and watches requiring service must be returned by the consumer to the respective manufacturer
  • Only appraisals from properly certified independent gemologists, not affiliated with any retail jeweler, will be considered
  • Price paid for merchandise or verbal claims/agreement between merchant and purchaser will not be grounds for return
  • All purchases, including fragile items need to be checked before leaving the store
  • Do not mail merchandise without prior authorization. Guests are responsible for postage and appraisal costs
If you need assistance within thirty days of purchase, please contact the PPI Group Customer Service Department at 888-774-4768
Please register ALL your purchases from the Shore-side Recommended Stores.
Please click here to Register your Purchases
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

By the way - on the registration pages it says:

This guarantee is valid for 30 days after purchase. The following conditions apply to the guarantee:
  • This guarantee is valid for repair or exchange
  • Guest negligence or buyer's remorse is excluded
  • Electronics and watches requiring service must be returned by the consumer to the respective manufacturer
  • Only appraisals from properly certified independent gemologists, not affiliated with any retail jeweler, will be considered
  • Price paid for merchandise or verbal claims/agreement between merchant and purchaser will not be grounds for return
  • All purchases, including fragile items need to be checked before leaving the store
  • Do not mail merchandise without prior authorization. Guests are responsible for postage and appraisal costs
If you need assistance within thirty days of purchase, please contact the PPI Group Customer Service Department at 888-774-4768
Please register ALL your purchases from the Shore-side Recommended Stores.

So - if watches and electronic purchaes are exempt, and "price paid" is not grounds for return, even after an independent appraisal - then what exactly are they guaranteeing here?

I need a shopping expert to figure this outm because I am not one.
Old July 17th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Being a cynic I always think that shops recommended by the cruise line are recommended because of some sort of kick -back, same as taxi drivers that take where you don't want to go because their mate has a bar/shop at the place he takes you to.
Old July 17th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

As the cruise ships sail from the ports, into the sunset, the store owners are kicking their heels. I do think all the majors, would try and intercede if there was a major issue with a piece, but buyers remorse, must draw plenty of giggles,and a big sorry!

I do know in St Maarten specifically, once the ships sail, the prices come down and the locals buy..$1.00 beers everywhere, so you can be sure it's similar in the other Caribbean ports.

Cruise ship approved shops do not mean much to me..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 17th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

In Grand Cayman there is a jewelery store named Kirk's Jewelry. I know the first couple of times Kirk's was not an approved store and it is known worldwide for its selection of watches.

I asked the manager why they weren't an "approved" store and the response was: "We won't pay the extortion fee."

I put little confidence in the "approved" store. I also refuse to wear the little "shopping sticker" when I go ashore.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 17th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

In the "way back", the monies from "recommended" shopping and the shore excursions were the domain of the Cruise Directors. Just talk to some old time CDs and they'll verify it.

They'd get off in ports, just to walk the streets, door to door, and pick up the envelopes.

Then, the cruise lines realized just how big that pot was getting, and took over.

Some of the cruise lines (at least for awhile) printed in their onboard daily, that recommended stores paid a fee.

Now, the Cruise Directors don't generally even do the "port talks". The cruise lines have "port experts" do them.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 18th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I always thought those recommended shopping stores got some kind of monies, sounds like I was right...I tend not to plan any major shopping while in any port, I really don't go on a cruise to shop, would rather see some of the local areas and do something fun.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 18th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Just to clarify...

I remember the days when CDs did the shopping programs and the talks onboard, and I recall seeing them doing the rounds in St Martin. It must have been hard for them, but also very lucrative.

What is funny is that the cruise line (in this case NCL in 1993) condoned it without interferring.

NOW the program is run by the PPI group (owned by Bill Panoff) which travel writers all know well as the company that publishes Porthole Magazine. They also outsource the writing and printing of the official ship's books you see onboard so many ships.
Old July 18th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Cool

Gone to same business and where asked if we part or wanted to take part.
If we didn't we would get a substantial discount on the merchandise.:-D

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old July 18th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Admiral

On our last cruise we went to a presentation from an on shore jeweler .Everyone attending was told they would get a free gold jewelry item .We sat through the entire 2 hour (or so it seemed) presentation ,got our "jewelry" ,one per family .It broke before we got to our cabin .I told my wife we could get a replacement in our next Crackerjacks box .
Old July 18th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Paul asked: "Do you trust the cruise lines just because they say they have recommended shopping? Do you believe their guarantees when they say they will refund any purshase made in a recommended store?"

Not in a million years! I do think that the "guarantees" are good, but you'd have to jump through all kinds of hoop's to get your money back. That's how they're able to offer a "guarantee".

I prefer to shop where I want to shop, and leave the "recommendation's" behind.

JMHO,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014

Last edited by Fern; July 18th, 2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old July 19th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Having fun ,seeing new places ,meeting new people are my cruise priorities ,not shopping