CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   You better shop around;) (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/375346-you-better-shop-around.html)

Trip July 20th, 2010 01:14 PM

You better shop around;)

Being involved with cruising, for well about 15 years now, a day never passes when cruising is not part of my daily experiences, so it's sometimes hard to forget, that it's not the same for everyone.

After spending Sunday with pals, who cruise, it amazed me how laisez faire he was about researching, price researching that is. His son said, "I want to go on this crusie," they said ok, and he called an agency...one agency, and since he felt comfortable with the price, booked it. He didn't know how his quote, fell in the scheme of things, in the pricing game. I chided him on not even calling ONE more place to compare.

This type of purchaser, and there are many out there, lest we forget, I bet no matter what they buy, they just cannot be bothered, as my friend said, to shop around....Oh well:)

Lakers Fan July 20th, 2010 01:17 PM

I research extensively any place we plan to vacation in as well as the specific cruise line and ship .However ,my TA choices have not been that great lately .

Trip July 20th, 2010 01:19 PM

Yoy are fast Henry:) I have the title song in my head now:)

Mike M July 20th, 2010 01:56 PM

What cruise line was it? If it was a Royal Caribbean Cruise Line or NCL the price would have been the same no matter who he booked with. Unless it was a really bad agency who charges more than the cruise line price.

Carnival will soon have the same policy so it won't matter too much.

The only thing is what agency will give you extra "goodies" for booking with them. i.e. onboard credit, insurance or prepaid tips.

I believe in researching your cruise but I also know that some folks take it too far and become overwhelmed. If you get off on research then go for it but don't spend six months researching a seven day cruise. Unless you spend that six months on Cruisemates. :D

Take care,
Mike

Donna July 20th, 2010 07:11 PM

Its just my nature to shop around for any major purchase, and booking a cruise is a major purchase IMHO....You may end up with the same price, but we all know there are travel agents that can add those little extras that make the cruise that much more enjoyable...It does pay to shop around, heck, look at airfare, you can check a few times in one week and get how many different prices, even during the day they change...

Trip July 20th, 2010 07:21 PM

Donna, my friend didn't know that his RCI cruise would be the same quote as others. A fact he might have uncovered if he had researched things just a bit, but, I did mention, that agents could have given him some incentives, if he did indeed make just a couple of calls..well, different strokes I guess:)

Kimbopolo July 20th, 2010 07:32 PM

Sometimes I wish I was the "can't be bothered" types. But when I try to pull that off, the miser inside me protests.

AF1 July 22nd, 2010 10:46 PM

I think we all want a good deal. So in order to get a good deal we shop around. It can be cruises, airfare, new shoes, a new car. Whoever throws in the most incentives will get the deal. Your friend must have enough savings and money that he doesn't need to worry about deals. I say bless him.