Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default With All The Specialty Restaurants, Is This The Future?

Specialty Restaurant Meal:

Main Dining Room Meal:

Take care,
Mike (Who will now go to his room)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Mike,
I sure hope not!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 29th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Mike, thats funny. I do see ships going to specialty resturaunts. they are trying to compete with resorts who have very good accomodations and food. I still don't understand when people say, it's just another way to get a dollar out of the passengers. If I go to Chops on RCI and I pay the $25 surcharge,and then I eat a four course meal. That same meal would cost me $75 in my hometown of Cincinnati; so I don't think they are tyring to nickel and dime us; I think they are trying to step it up a notch to be able to compete with other cruise lines and the land based resorts. this is my humble opinion and I hope not to offend anyone.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old July 29th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I remember when eating Swansons fried chicken dinner, in the aluminum tray, was a treat in my house

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 29th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Oh my gosh I hope not. You might be able to get that specialty entree in your mouth but I sure couldn't.

It's a big reason I will never again travel on NCL.

Another reason is that I love Princess and their choice of Traditional or Anytime ... plus the other perks I'm now getting. But hated the Cajun restaurant that I shared with you and Betty and loved the Sterling and Crown Grills on other Princess ships.

Trip - I remember those metal Swanson trays ... not only that but some TVs came in plastic containers and I still have some of those - handy for when I rarely cook to put a second dinner in and freeze.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I remember when eating Swansons fried chicken dinner, in the aluminum tray, was a treat in my house
Trip:

There was a time, many years ago, that they were actually edible. As a kid they were outlawed by my dietician mother. I did eat a number of them at my sister's house and in college.

The last one I had was probably ten years ago and after three or four bites it went in the garbage.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Oh Trip,
Same here, it was a big deal when we were kids...

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Perhaps this is the future of the lido buffet:

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Default WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Anything from Swanson's was a treat in my house
Old July 30th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Admiral

I sure hope not. The speciality resturants are one of the reasons we won't cruise NCL again. Impossible to get a reservation and gthe food in the main dinging room while okay was not that great and of course none of the waiters in any dining room seemed to want to be there.

And the Swanson dinners were a very seldom treat for my family as well.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old July 31st, 2010, 07:57 AM
Admiral

I have to present a big DITTO to the other comments here. I too used to sail NCL almost exclusively, and I don't even consider them anymore. If all the lines went to the NCL style of dining, I'd probably quit cruising altogether, or at least cut back to one a year or so. The fact that I know where I'm going to dine every evening, and don't have to make any decisions along those lines, and know that I'm going to get a GREAT meal, is one of the reasons I love cruising so much. I don't even have to decide "steak or lobster", as I can have BOTH!
I don't think we ever had frozen dinners when I was young. If we wanted fried chicken, Mom went out in the back yard, grabbed the first unfortunate hen that walked by, and a bit later we had mouth watering fried chicken, mashed potatoes with white gravy, green beans, and homemade biscuits! UMMMMMMMMM

"SKY"
Old July 31st, 2010, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Man, Ken--- I don't know where you're from but your mom sounded like my mom. When she wanted to fix chicken, all she had to do was go out back and as you said, some unfortunate chicken would end up in the skillet !!
Throw in the cooked green beans, gravy and biscuits and there you had a meal to remember. :-)
I can still remember the cooked chicken and dumplings too but have never seen anyone who could duplicate hers.
We never had a frozen dinner--don't know if they had them when I was growing up.

I hope the cruise industry isn't going to go too far down the path regarding the specialty restaurants but I think it will be even more common and accepted than it is now. I don't think I would cruise as much if it gets to the point that I have to pay to get a decent meal.

Last edited by Ron; July 31st, 2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:35 PM
Captain

Most of today's onboard specialty restaurants are able to serve an absolute maximum of 120 - 125 passengers per meal period. Most generally average around 100 people per meal period.

If Princess adopted this idea for all pax, they would need to build around 35 of these specialty restaurants on each of their ships in order to feed everyone.
RCCL would need around 50 or more of these restaurants on their new ships.

Considering the costs and space required, it seems rather unlikely.