Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Beginner

Default Best first Cruise to take a mom on?

Hi,
I would like to take my mom on her first cruise!! She is in her early 60's. She is in decent health but doesn't really like to do a lot of "going". She wears out pretty quick. A day sitting on the beach and hitting a few shops is her idea of adventure! I think a 3-4 day cruise will be long enough. We live in Oklahoma so I have to consider flight time too.

What would be a good cruise line that she would really enjoy? I went a 5 day Carnival out of Galveston and really enjoyed it. But that is the only one I have been on.

Thanks for the help!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I think,Celebrity & Princess, would give your Mother a nice shipboard experience, in a more laid back atmosphere. Plenty to do or not to do on board. The eastern itinerary, has a nice mix of shopping and beaches, and city tours done on an air conditioned bus,where you can choose to get off or not, would be a nce option to get the lay of the land, and, see bits and pieces of the ports. Just as an FYI, Old San Juan, the shopping area, is all cobblestones, so if this port ends up on your itinerary, the city tour, which we did last fall, is a nice option.

The new Eclipse, Equinox, from Celebrity, and, the Ruby,& Sapphire class ships, would be very nice for both of you....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 12th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Admiral

julieet- the first thing to consider is that on the 3-4 day cruises they tend to be more of a younger party crowd, something to think about. I agree with Trip, a more relaxed laid-back cruise experience would come from Holland American, Princess or Celebrity, don't count out a 7 day cruise, mom can relax and do nothing or do as much as she wants or can handle
Old August 12th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Admiral

I agree with Lisa, don't rule out a 7 night cruise...your trip will include airline travel regardless of length of cruise so why not spend a little more on a 7 night cruise and share a vacation with your Mom that she will never forget...she'll probably be making plans for her next cruise before she even leaves the ship. Shorter cruises do tend to be "booze cruises" and while they fill a need, I believe your Mom will find a longer cruise much more enjoyable and relaxing (less children and party crowd especially if you sail in off months and weeks children are in school). I like to cruise to the Caribbean in May, first two weeks of June, October and November (avoiding holidays). The weather is beautiful, rainy season hasn't started or is pretty much over, cruise rates are good, and nice passenger mix with less children.

Whatever you decide, wishing you great memories with your Mother!!
Old August 12th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Oops, I forgot to answer your other question. I took my mother-in-law on a few cruises (she was in her late 80's) on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. She much preferred Carnival...said the food was a lot better, ha! I've never sailed on Holland America, Princess or Celebrity but believe any of these cruise lines will offer attractive pricing and a great cruise experience.
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I would consider flying to Galveston and trying the Carnival Conquest or the Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas (when she arrives in January).

These are both reasonably priced 7-day cruises and the airfare should not be a lot.

The only advice I would give you is to stay away from older Carnival or Royal Caribbean ships *built before 2000) only because the newer ones are much nicer.

If it is Princess or Holland then an older ship is fine, and it will be smaller and quieter - great for your mom.