Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:16 AM
Passenger

Default And they wonder why a TA would have a fee!

I waived my consultation fee due to receiving a referral. I found the perfect quad connecting to a double configuration which I placed on option. I provided this person exactly what she was looking for and even provided pictures of the stateroom type since we had done a ship inspection. As this client was traveling in six weeks with six people (four of which were female) and did not even think of what that meant as far as only having one bathroom.

Last night the follow-up email came back
While we definitely preferred to go with someone local, the other agent we sent our request to gave us a price less than you offered as well as a $500 shipboard credit. We cannot turn that down.
Good luck being placed somewhere on this ship that is the perfect location for you and your family lady!

Anyway, never again will I waive my fee.I am thinking of filing suit against this person for theft of service in the amount of my lost commission due to the time invested.
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Amber,
I can certainly understand your frustration in this case...As far as I can tell, it was down to an extra credit of $500, from another travel agent....? Now, I'm wondering if they are getting the same cabin catagory and location,etc?? May-be next time, only waive your fee if they actually book with you, then you won't be out your time and $?

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:33 AM
Passenger

I don't know if she is comparing apples to apples in this case. The other agency is violation of the RCI rebating policy if they are actually getting this much. However, I do not do plan to go fees. In my industry, saying I only get paid for my advice is someone does not take the trip is a bit confusing.

I know know everyone charges consultation fees, but there are always people who wonder why we do such a thing.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:02 AM
Admiral

I feel your pain! This has happened to me as well, prepared a perfect vacation or cruise for a client and they decide to book themselves online using my advice. It's like they just come to me for my expertise and advice, and then take that for free and go book it online. Now, I am very wary of telling a potential client the details of the vacation or cruise until I am certain they are going to book with me.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

I always use a travel agent and pay the fees. I want someone else who has more knowledge about cruising than I do. Sorry there are some people out here who don't give a darn about time and effort; it's all about the almighty buck, and how much they can save.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:04 PM
Admiral

I don't know if there is a valid lawsuit here, not being a lawyer and all. But it sounds like you might have a complaint against other agency through RCI.

My guess is the other agent gave them whatever two cabins came up next.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:32 PM
Admiral

As a client of a TA .I'm always glad to pay the fee's. My TA only charges fee's on the air

fare costs.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 24th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Admiral

I'm not a T.A., never been one nor never will be. I've been on numerous cruises on several different lines and always have people ask me--" I've talked to a T.A. about a cruise and this was the price--X dollars--is that a good deal or not ?" How can I tell them what I think is a good deal if they don't even know what type cabin they got, inside, outside, balcony, specific cabin, guarantee, etc. etc. Or sometimes just ask " how much does a cruise cost ? "
Just a few days ago a couple told me they were going on a Princess cruise--they had never cruised before and it was $ 1499.00 per person, and wanted to know if I thought it was a good deal. I had to extract bit by bit the info from them-- it was a 10 day cruise and one stop was Aruba--lots of help there! Turned out to be a 10 dayer from Lauderdale to The Canal ( partial transit ) but they had no idea about the cabin.
Bottom line, I don't think I could be a T.A. because it seems like a lot of people want to go on a cruise but have no idea when, where, what type cabin, etc.
I can understand how a T.A. could be upset when they have to go through all this work and then have the rug jerked out from under them because someone else gave them a " better " deal. Cheaper doesn't always mean better.
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Passenger

Default Not Everyone would do this

Just want you to know that some people appreciate everything the TA does. We love our TA. We would never book directly, on-line or call anyone else. We found him by accident but we are so grateful to him. We originally called, thinking we knew what particular staterooms we wanted. He advised against our selections because of a venue he felt might be noisy. On another cruise we were going to put 3 passengers in each of 2 balcony cabins (each had 2 adults and a teenager). He called back and asked if we had considered getting the 2 balcony cabins and getting an inside cabin directly across from us for the 2 teens, if the price was cheaper. DUH...cheaper and we would have an extra bathroom????? He had already given us the price with 3 per balcony room so when we saw a savings (small but still cheaper), we were thrilled. We had another cruise where we had a last minute problem arise. He dropped everything and took over and got everything fixed. We always get a couple of bottles of wine or an OBC from him and he steers us away from any potential mistake. He's the best. He knows what he's doing and even thought we are experienced cruisers, he's always our first and last call. We always recommend him to family, friends and co-workers who are thinking of cruising. Trust and respect is the key.