Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
Captain

Default New packing restrictions

I was just looking at the Carnival website regarding items you may not bring on board. They have now listed steamers. I use to take a travel iron and then I learned that was not allowed so I purchased a steamer. Now that is not allowed either. I also have always taken a kettle to heat water. It heats in less than a minute and has an automatic shut off in 10 minutes. Any info on the changes. Thanks
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2010, 04:14 PM
Admiral

It all has to do with limiting fire hazards onboard. Those are all items that can potentually start a fire, which is a major hazard onboard a ship at sea.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old September 4th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Captain

I completely under stand the fire risk. That is why I was sure to purchase a kettle that shuts off automatically, which probably poses no more risk than a curling iron. Yet they will let someone who has had way too much to drink go to their cabin and light a cigarette. Someone falling asleep with a lit cigarette scares me much more. I am not proposing you stop people from smoking. For the smoker who can't smoke a cruise would be a nightmare. I am just commenting on the fire hazard.

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old September 4th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

I never understood not being allowed to bring a travel iron. The ships provide blowdryers which could catch on fire; so I don't get it. Good luck.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old September 4th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1 View Post
I never understood not being allowed to bring a travel iron. The ships provide blowdryers which could catch on fire; so I don't get it. Good luck.
It has to do with the large flat surface of the travel iron. Large flat surfaces that can heat up to well over a hundred degrees can cause a fire quite easily. Steamers and kettles also have a heating element that gets quite hot as well. It doesn't matter if it shuts off automatically, all it takes is less then a minute for it to start a fire. Unlike your home or in a hotel, a cruise ship at sea will roll and pitch with the sea, and the possibility of any appliance that can get that hot falling off a table or vanity is a serious fire risk.

The hair dryers are attached to the wall in the bathroom, so they cannot fall out onto the carpet, and thus they are not such a risk. That is why they are allowed, but you cannot bring your hair dryer onboard.

It also doesn't matter how careful you promise to be with your iron or steamer. Fire onboard a ship at sea is way too serious event that can coast many lives, so the cruiselines just cannot allow them onboard. If they allow 1 passenger to bring an iron onboard, they would have to allow everybody, and they just cannot do that. It only takes 1 careless passenger.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Familiar Face

Default Fire Hazzards

Scott while I agree with you on why items are banned;I also agree with Susan that smoking in cabins is a bigger fire hazzard aboard ship
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Admiral

I agree that the electrical appliances should be banned and understand why, as a fire on a ship is the most dangerous thing they face.
However, I also agree and do worry about some drunk flopping down at 2-3 a.m with a lit cigarette and starting a fire, as well as idiots that throw cigarette and cigar butts overboard despite being repeatedly warned not to do that. In all honesty, I'm surprised there's not more fires aboard a ship than the few that there has been in recent years. Hopefully though there'll never be another.
Old September 5th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSAN CURTIS View Post
I was just looking at the Carnival website regarding items you may not bring on board. They have now listed steamers. I use to take a travel iron and then I learned that was not allowed so I purchased a steamer. Now that is not allowed either. I also have always taken a kettle to heat water. It heats in less than a minute and has an automatic shut off in 10 minutes. Any info on the changes. Thanks

We have been cruising since 2006 . They always never allowed steamers , travel irons and other similar appliances .Why would you want to carry a heavy steamer when the shower does a go steaming job.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old September 5th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1 View Post
On the blow dryers you physically have to push a trigger to use the unit.

Someone commented about smoking . The difference is that electrical fires don't produce a lot of smoke to trigger the smoke detector . A smoldering cigarette produces smoke very quickly and will set the alarm off.

As part of my electrical training we had to learn this difference.8)

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old September 6th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopydozer View Post
On the blow dryers you physically have to push a trigger to use the unit.

Someone commented about smoking . The difference is that electrical fires don't produce a lot of smoke to trigger the smoke detector . A smoldering cigarette produces smoke very quickly and will set the alarm off.

As part of my electrical training we had to learn this difference.8)
Thanks for the info, although people smoking while intoxicated still scares the heck out of me.

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006