Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Cruise West - will it go belly up?

I wrote the article below, but as I consider this situation I am thinking Cruise West is probably in very serious trouble. They cancelled a cruise that potentially stood to make them $28 million - that is just one of nine ships.

Imagine what it means if they do not have the ships to fulfill the cruises that are already paid for for nine ships? There is no escrow account except for the ones with a U.S. component.

And by the way - when a cruise line starts offering incentives for "cash" payments it is a red flag. That is what Cruise West was doing. This could get ugly, folks.

My article is below.

Cruise West Situation Dire

By Paul Motter Last week Cruise West was a small cruise line known for pioneering Alaska cruises as far back as 1958. The line operated nine different ships in regions as diverse as Central America, Alaska, Antarctica, Baja California, the Caribbean, the rivers of Oregon and was in the middle of an extravagant world cruise.

This week Cruise West is in trouble. All but two cruises were canceled last week and the web site now only shows one simple news release dated Sept. 8 that says "Cruise West Continues Restructuring Efforts." It continues; "The first move in this restructuring is the termination of the Spirit of Oceanus Voyage of the Great Explorers."

This was not just another cruise. It was the most ambitious world cruise ever undertaken by any modern cruise line. Prices started at $230,000 per passenger for the entire voyage - about $200,000 more than the average world cruise. The itinerary spanned 335 days, about 235 days longer than the average world cruise. Spirit of Oceanus officially pre-empted the world cruise early and disembarked its passengers in St. John's Newfoundland last Friday - about six months into the 11-month cruise.
For some insight on the Cruise West developments I interviewed John Cook, president of QuoteWright.com, one of the top travel insurance providers online. Here is what he had to say:

CM: John, what can you tell me about the developments at Cruise West?

John: Basically I cannot tell you anything, the company is not actually divulging any specific information, but I can say that I have seen these situations many times and that they almost always have a bad ending.

CM: What does the letter on the Web site indicate to you? Is the recommendation that people apply for refunds immediately going to help customers get refunds?

John: The letter really just seems like redirection to me - as if the goal is to merely redirect customers away from contacting the company.

CM: So the fact that the company published the letter is not going to compel the insurance companies to give a refund?

John: Well, I can't speak for the insurance companies who underwrite these policies, but in my experience, no. They will take a wait and see position.

There is no definitive proof yet that future cruises are cancelled, and until there is something like a declaration of bankruptcy they are not likely to provide refunds. Furthermore, in most cases the policy writers will merely ask the customer to contact their credit card companies first. They have the right to see if the credit card provider will offer a refund - and many credit card companies will.

CM: Is there any kind of statutory limitation on those credit card refunds?

John: According to the Fair Credit Act, a credit card company only has to reimburse you if the non-performance occurred in the last 60 days, however some credit card companies are much better than others and will go back to whenever the non-performance occurred. American Express is the best company in this regard in my personal experience.

CM: The Cruise West letter asks people with no other recourse to contact them about unfulfilled cruises already paid. Is there a fund or bond to insure there is money available to refund the customers who have already paid cash?

John: Anytime a cruise has a U.S. nexus (meaning it involves a U.S. port) the cruise line is required to keep a Maritime Commission Bond, like an escrow account, equal to the unfulfilled payments they took in. They are not allowed to touch that money until the cruise has sailed.

CM: Is that similar to the USTOA? (United States Tour Operators Association)

John: No, USTOA is a separate entity.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Unfortunately, many Cruise West cruises do not have a U.S. nexus, and this condition may explain why the Spirit of Oceanus world cruise was cancelled in Newfoundland, Canada, having arrived from Europe, while two cruises scheduled to sail from Portland, Oregon, on Saturday went ahead.

The USTOA manages a Travelers Assistance Program that holds a $1,000,000 security for reimbursing consumers in the case of an active member's bankruptcy, insolvency or cessation of business. While USTOA has said Cruise West was active until last Saturday and that sales made before that should qualify for the fund, the question is whether $1,000,000 will even come close to enough money to cover everyone who cannot get a refund by any other means.

Cruise West was offering a 2% discount to anyone who paid the company directly by cash or check - most likely to avoid the credit card fees which can be expensive for a purchase as high as $50,000. That is the amount two ladies stranded in Newfoundland said they had paid Cruise West by check for their portion of the world cruise which was just cancelled.

Those who purchased qualifying third-party travel insurance are in the best position. In fact, before you purchase any cruise it is a good idea to see whether third party insurance is available - even if you don't plan to buy it. The reluctance of insurance providers to cover a specific travel provider is a known leading indicator that company may be in trouble.
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Admiral

If they don't find a buyer quickly, they probably will go under. There was some confusion initially in that the press thought they had found a buyer, but they had not.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old September 13th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Captain

In the history of cruising, EVERY American flag company has gone bankrupt.
Some did it quickly - others took a few years.
The remaining two companies are still working on it.
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The remaining two companies? NCL-America and American Cruise Lines?

Are those the ones you mean?

I wonder what the Delta Queen ships are up to these days? I loved American Queen.
Old September 14th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Captain

Paul,

Yes, those 2.
There is also Luther Blount's old line that just recently re-organized to avoid bankruptcy. But that is for all necessary purposes a Canadian financed company.

NCL America has been bleeding money since day one. It remains to be seen if/when Apollo will pull the plug after Star Cruise dumps their stake in this loser.

lf you look at the outrageous rates being charged by American Cruise Lines for their less than exciting ships and cruises, it's hard to understand why they are still in business. But they cannot last too much longer.

The Delta River Boats were completely out of compliance with SOLAS fire regulations for the past several years. In it's wisdom, the US Coast Guard allowed them to sail with passengers anyway.
Finally in 2010, with new and tighter fire regulations, even the Coast Guard could no longer let them get away with it.
The company was ready for bankruptcy anyway. The SOLAS situation just hastened it a bit.

Last edited by Bruce Chafkin1; September 14th, 2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I am not sure about your Solas statement - maybe for the Delta Queen, but it had a Congressional exemption which it deserved. When Oberstar gave a speech citing an accident from the Civil War as the reason the Delta Queen should be taken out of service he became the laughing stock of the river trade.

I believe Mississippi Queen is still river-worthy - it is much newer (less wood) and American Queen is state of the art - a beautiful newer ship.
Old September 15th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Captain

Paul,

Here is a link to some of problems they faced.

www.steamboats.org/save-the-delta-queen-2007.html
Old September 16th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Paul,

The Delta Queen only sails in US territorial waters and deserves to continue as America's only moving national landmark. She is a classic that the Congress should give another exemption to. Both Mississippi paddle boats should be still in operation. Both (especially the Delta Queen) are national treasures that should not be lost.

Also, I believe NCL should be made to honor it's agreement to the US Government in regards to its promise to restore the USS United States. Both the United States and Delta queen are important American historical assets, that show honor, to our once proud maritime industry.