Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2010, 11:17 AM
Beginner

Default Belize City

We are going there in November - is it safe to walk around or get a taxi - etc or should you book an excursion?
Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2010, 03:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Belize city

Book a execursion. Awful crime there. I liked cave tubing but bring bug spray and sun screen, Ed
Old October 1st, 2010, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

The dock area is a tourist only zone. There will be no one hassling you in that area as all locals need a tourism pass to enter. There will be people trying to sell you tours, but no trinket or unauthorized soliciting. There are a few shops and bars there, at least get that far if you visit. Beyond the gates you are on your own. Just use common since.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old October 1st, 2010, 11:59 PM
Admiral

Duey, I've been to Belize several times and never had a problem but I would not go out wandering around on my own. There's plenty of tours you can book that will get you out into the countryside, see some Mayan Ruins, if you're into that, etc. Other tours if your not into history, etc. The dock / shopping complex is modern, secure and has a pretty good variety of shops, a few restaurants and bars. One is the Wet Lizard--good place to set and have a couple drinks--go up the steps and try to get a seat at the rail for a good view of the area . The ship will anchor several miles out and you have to take a 12-15 minute tender ride to get to and from the dock / shopping complex.
Old October 4th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Beginner

Duey,

I don't think Belize is as bad as people say, but I agree with Ron, the dock area is safe and good for shopping and the Wet Lizard is a great place for drinks, they usually have $2 beers so if you like to drink it's alot of fun there!
What ship are you going on? We are doing Belize in November so I will let you know.
Old October 4th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate39 View Post
Duey,

I don't think Belize is as bad as people say, but I agree with Ron, the dock area is safe and good for shopping and the Wet Lizard is a great place for drinks, they usually have $2 beers so if you like to drink it's alot of fun there!
What ship are you going on? We are doing Belize in November so I will let you know.
We are on NCL Pearl leaving 11-7-10
Old October 5th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Beginner

Duey,

We are doing the Pearl on the 21st, you will have to tell me how the attire on the ship is and how the ports are (especially Key West) and what you did. I have noticed NCL's dress codes getting a little more dressier so I'm not sure how to pack. Have you been on the Pearl before? We were on it when it was new. It is fabulous!
Old October 5th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Admiral

I've been to Belize many times. Love it there but as many have echoed use your common sense and you likely be fine. I have left the tourist village and walked the block or two down to the water taxi, but I made sure that I was with a group and not alone. There is great snorkeling and so much sea life, many folks do the zipline tours or cave tubing. There are small islands like Spanish Caye or Bannister Island to visit on tours. they have beaches and restaurants etc...

Tour operators are plentiful ones that I have personally used that can be booked in advance or found upon arrival within the Tourist Village are Marvin Deras Ecological Tours and Coral Breeze, both companies have a variety of offerings. If scuba is your cup of tea, I have used Sea Sports Belize and was very happy with them. The groups they take out are much smaller than the company (Hugh Parkey's)that works with the Cruise Line. They are located a block or two outside the Tourist Village Near the water taxi's.

A couple of times we walked to the water taxi and took them out to Caye Caulker. There are now two water taxi companies there and be sure to compare their schedules to see that you have plenty of time for you return trip before booking one or the other. We then took a snorkelling tour with Tsunami Adventures once we arrived at Caye Caulker. There is a restaurant near where you will be dropped off by the water taxi called Rainbow. They have great fresh seafood. We always allow enough time to grab a bite there.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 5th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie View Post
A couple of times we walked to the water taxi and took them out to Caye Caulker.
I knew you'd figure out the THING to do there!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old October 6th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Beginner

Duey,

We are doing the Pearl on the 21st, you will have to tell me how the attire on the ship is and how the ports are (especially Key West) and what you did. I have noticed NCL's dress codes getting a little more dressier so I'm not sure how to pack. Have you been on the Pearl before? We were on it when it was new. It is fabulous!