Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Beginner

Smile How do the cruise lines pick ports.

I live in Mobile AL. and here we have one ship available. First we had the Holiday which was sold out each trip. Then the Fantasy close to the same results. Now rhe Elation I understsnd just about the same. We do get tired of sailing to the same ports all the time. Do Cruise lines not add ships to vary their cruises?
jagfan
joequinn27@gmail.com
Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Have you considered taking a drive down to Fl? That would certainly open up a lot more possibilities when it comes to ships and itinaries??

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:46 PM
Beginner

Smile reply to donna

We have flown to Fl. a few times and sailed on HAL but from Mobile to Fl. cost about $1500 for 2 round trip. This would also limit the number of cruises we could afford.
jagfan
Old November 23rd, 2010, 03:05 PM
Admiral

An interesting question
Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:18 PM
Admiral

$1500 for two to fly to Fort Lauderdale? I just paid $320 return from Seattle holy smokes!!

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Mobile is a "drive to" port. Cruise lines will look at the amount of "lift" a city has. That means they look at the size and capacity of the airport and the number of reasonable flights to and from major cities and airline hubs. Mobile is not a good choice for a large ship because of this. The old saying "If you die in Mobile your soul has to go through Atlanta, Dallas or Memphis to get to heaven". is basically true for cruise airline passengers and makes a less desirable cruise port.

Because of this the cruise lines look for the number of local and regional customers a ship or ships could support. This is why Mobile has smaller ships and not too many of them.

New Orleans would be a good alternative for you. There are a more ships going out of NOLA and is a fairly easy drive for you. Baltimore and Galveston may also be alternatives with a lower cost airfare.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

There is a limited number of ports that can be reached from Mobile on a 4 and 5 day itinerary. So your going to get pretty much the same ports. When Cuba opens there may be some more options.

NOLA is easy for you, but the 4-5 days will be the same as Mobile. The 7-day will give you a few more options.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:18 AM
Familiar Face

One word. MONEY.

They pick ports based on cost/profit. That's it. If they have deals with the ports, the businesses, the governments, then they go. If they don't...then they don't go.

It's all money, they build the "vacation experience" and sell the port to us consumers as a destination after they've decided on it for fiscal reasons.

Take Bayonne...who wants to go there? Really. Look at most ports, and see what they have in common. Shopping programs, business centred around the ships (and often owned outright by the companies), the infrastructure to handle the ships and people, and a local population that's so dependant on the ships that they'd die without them.

It's not like they sit there and dream up awesome places to take people. They go where it's cheapest, and they can make the most money.