Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Captain

Just curious to those like Paul and Kuki who have cruised the whole gammet, from luxury to the cheap seats, does it matter the cost of the cruise experience as to the chances of finding bad behavior on a cruise ship?

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old December 26th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

You know, when you say something on a message board, the intent in the way you write it, can be hard to "get" by many readers.

When you offer up a comment to someone in person, it's all about the tone of your voice, and, the way you offer your comment or advice. I don't think anybody should be so abrasive with a smackdown response to a well intentioned person, wanting to be helpful.

You may not want to listen to what was said, but, thank you for our concern would suffice.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 26th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Very well said ,Trip .
Old December 26th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Well intentioned? How do you determine "well intentioned" versus a "busy body?"

I guess I am just lost. I thought we were having a good discussion on what is considered bad behaviour.

Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 26th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Admiral

I guess if a person is a curmudgeon, that person, might not willingly accept someone, well intentioned.. trying to pass along some information.

A crumudgeon might see that person as a busy body....

Old December 26th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Default Busy Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Well intentioned? How do you determine "well intentioned" versus a "busy body?"

I guess I am just lost. I thought we were having a good discussion on what is considered bad behaviour.

Marc

If you were to post that you were traveling into an area of NY that I knew was not a safe place I guess you would not want me to tell you .
Old December 26th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
I smiled very politely, and said to the parents, "Is your son enjoying his cruise? He looks like a nice polite boy."

Then the door opened and we got out ...

What a classy way of handling that. I fear I would have been less generous to the boy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Ron:

Thanks very much .I was thinking that I was the sole person with this point of view .
I don't have a problem in the world if someone thinks me a busy body. I'd much rather that than someone was hurt and I hadn't said anything. You did the right thing. If someone blows you off, oh well. Your conscience is clear.
Old December 26th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Trip, I am definitely a curmedgeon; no apologies, though.

Even though I have lived and travelled all over the world; I still think the USA is the best country on earth. What makes the USA exceptional is our individualism. When we start thinking that others can make decisions for us, we become dependent. I never want to be dependent on anyone. Therefore, I either make decisions myself or choose my advisor carefully.

Henry, many years ago I was in Colombo, Sri Lanka. I shared a rickshaw taxi with a young Naval officer. Although we had been very specific with our destination, the taxi driver, looking for a little extra money, dropped us off in a part of the city where every kid has a "white sister." This young Ensign couldn't get past his anger at the cab driver. Me, I realized what had happened, and started walking towards where we wanted to go. Two six foot young americans are not going to be physically attacked because it would be self defeating for the locals.

I know there are places I don't want to walk on my own in NYC, DC, or Chicago or many other places up north. Still, I think I can make my own decisions instead of having someone, whether an individual or the government, telling me where I can or cannot go.

Sorry for the long post. I was too flippant and negative in my last post which was justly deleted. This time, I thought it would be worthwhile to provide a sensible explanation.

marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 26th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Marc, people observe situations through a different lens..and thankfully so.
Having everything vanilla would certainly be boring...Different opinions make for lively and spirited discussions.

But, in my life, I couldn't have a pov that someone was not coming from a good place in making that statement, rather then quickly assuming one was being a busybody.....I'll be quiet now Happy new year!

Old December 27th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Talking Classy? ME?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike
I smiled very politely, and said to the parents, "Is your son enjoying his cruise? He looks like a nice polite boy."

Then the door opened and we got out ...
What a classy way of handling that. I fear I would have been less generous to the boy.
ROFL. I was a Middle School teacher for many years. I know the adolescent psychology If I had ripped into the boy, or even quietly reported to his parents that he was riding the elevators uncontrolled and insulting people, he would have had a million denials and excuses, and chances are that his parents would have believed him and put me in the category of "busybody" (funny how it ties into the other discussion ...)

But by making him squirm and leaving him to wonder what I meant and how much I might have told his parents otherwise ... I probably provided him a sleepless night and maybe, just maybe, a chance to think it over!

I was not trying to be "classy" (although thank you for the thought) I was trying to give him a really bad time!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old December 27th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Default New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Trip, I am definitely a curmedgeon; no apologies, though.

Even though I have lived and travelled all over the world; I still think the USA is the best country on earth. What makes the USA exceptional is our individualism. When we start thinking that others can make decisions for us, we become dependent. I never want to be dependent on anyone. Therefore, I either make decisions myself or choose my advisor carefully.

Henry, many years ago I was in Colombo, Sri Lanka. I shared a rickshaw taxi with a young Naval officer. Although we had been very specific with our destination, the taxi driver, looking for a little extra money, dropped us off in a part of the city where every kid has a "white sister." This young Ensign couldn't get past his anger at the cab driver. Me, I realized what had happened, and started walking towards where we wanted to go. Two six foot young americans are not going to be physically attacked because it would be self defeating for the locals.

I know there are places I don't want to walk on my own in NYC, DC, or Chicago or many other places up north. Still, I think I can make my own decisions instead of having someone, whether an individual or the government, telling me where I can or cannot go.

Sorry for the long post. I was too flippant and negative in my last post which was justly deleted. This time, I thought it would be worthwhile to provide a sensible explanation.

marc
I do not live in NYC .I was referring to the state of NY .There are many cities that sound inviting and the crime is not publicized but a resident of the state may be aware of same .

I would ,however ,prefer to end this discussion .
Have a nice day
Old December 27th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Familiar Face

On our cruise on the Carnival Dream, there was some vandalism backstage in the theater that resulted in one of the shows being delayed
Old January 24th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Admiral

On our 2008 cruise there were a couple who were constasntly pushing people off lines to get their spot .When we were returning home we boarded a plane in Vancouver ,BC and this wonderful couple were on the plane ,not only that but they were seated directly in front of us .The husband was sitting in front of me and the first thing he did was to push his seat back .I tapped him on the shoulder and said that I had a sore right knee and asked if he could move up just a drop.He did not do so but he got up to go to the bathroom and his wife put her full weight against her husbands seats and pushed back against my knee . I arose screaming and a flight attendant came over .I told her what happened and she asked the woman if she did it and she said she did .The flight attendant said there was nothing she could do other than to try and find me another seat on the plane ,there were none .I spent most of the 6 hour flight standing .
When we left the plane and went to collect our luggage this couple was where we were and we exited the terminal in front of them . We hailed a taxi and they tried to get our taxi ,we let them rather than have a confrontation .
That was our travel experience from hell.
Old January 24th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Admiral

I know that this will be considered an "ignorant" boorish response but does anyone think as I do that sometimes violence is the only reaction to bullying so-in-so's like this, sorry to appear neanderthal but it would give me great satisafaction to give people like this a bit of a dig!!
Old January 24th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Admiral

The "old" Henry43 might have resorted to retalliation but this is a new and gentle Henry43 .

About a year ago we happened to be in a restaurant and this couple were in there dining .They saw me (I'm neary 6'6 ) and seemed to be pushing themselves under the table .
Old January 24th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Admiral

JTD, I think sometimes an occasional taste of their own medicine would do them no harm.

Henry - you are a saint!
Old January 24th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Admiral

We've been fortunate to not encounter "Bad behaviour" as least none that lingers in my memory.

I do remember on our DREAM cruise .... my daughter, was quite distraught when I picked her up from Camp Carnival one day. As most 4 year olds, do she gave me a complete account of her day including how upset she was that a "Bad' girl had not played very nicely with her and grabbed a dolly from her and pushed her away from the dollhouse and would not let her share a dollhouse toy.

I soothed her and told her the next time it happened to speak to one of the counsellors and tell them what happened and they would make sure the little girl played nice.

Well that night at dinner, we discovered this bad little girl was seated a few tables away from us. My daughter (at full volume) says "Mommy, there she is, that is the bad girl that would not play nice at camp carnival". Well the family turned and looked, and embarrassed went back to their dinner.

But it didn't stop there. Wherever we saw her after that, ... in the hallways, in the dining room, in the theatre .... my daughter would point her out, "there's that bad girl again".

If she went to camp carnival and saw that girl there, my daughter would ask to leave.

I probably should have stopped my daughter from identifying her agressor (likely turning my daughter into the agressor). My guess is the little girl had some issues, because her family only reacted with embarrassment not anger.

If some little child was identifying my daughter as a bad girl (knowing my daughter is not a bad girl) ... I would likely go talk to the family to find out why. This family made no such attempt, which made me wonder.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991