CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Bad Behavior (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/378446-bad-behavior.html)

Trip December 1st, 2010 11:42 AM

Bad Behavior
 
Over the course of time on the boards, this topic often comes up, and it seems , in the past few years, bad behavior and crazy antics, [sometimes deadly] are more frequent.

Cruisers used to worry about the bad bahavior of kids on board,and wonder if they will impact their vacation, but, honestly, the adults, are more worrysome.

Only on one cruise did kids behavior make me go, "oy".....The recent post about a drunken passenger releasing the anchor on an HAL ship is just the latest in things,that make you scratch your head and wonder, huh???

I spoke to someone yesterday, who said, he would not walk up on a hiigh deck at night,as he used to do,to enjoy the peace and quiet, and the stars, afraid that "something" could happen. Only a recent fear, he said....For some, it seems, these incidents have affected how they enjoy a cruise,

Have you ever been witness to bad, or, strange behaviour on a cruise?

MrPete December 1st, 2010 12:19 PM

On one Carnival cruise, where the rates were slashed apparently cause the itinerary was not sailing well (NY to Fl, and th Bahamas), I witnessed the trashiest cluster of people ever assembled on a ship.

The pinnacle was a group of about 10 adults dry humping each other on the wall at one of the main pools one afternoon.

Then, one of them got up and threw the "face" massage table into the pool. A female companion mounted the table, and they continued to dry hump each other until security finally stopped them, about ten minutes after they started.

LisaK December 1st, 2010 02:07 PM

unfortunately when it comes to adults when you add alcohol consumption in more than moderate amounts it can make usually rational calm "normal" adults act like stupid fools

Mike M December 1st, 2010 03:53 PM

I have never had an issue with kids and their behavior. I have seen some obnoxious drunks and on Carnival Legend a drunk couple doing the nasty, on an upper deck, around midnight.

I have also experienced perfectly sober people just being jerks.

Have these incidents been numerous. Not really. Only six or seven over the course of 30+ cruises but they were memorable.

I still have no issue of feeling insecure on any part of the ship.

Take care,
Mike

Lakers Fan December 1st, 2010 09:18 PM

The closest to bad behavior was a guy and his wife having a fist fight on the ship

MercedMike December 1st, 2010 10:20 PM

Bad behaviour
 
Well, if you are really interested in bad behaviour caused by somebody other than the ubiquitous drunks, take a seat next to any place they deal with passengers. The Photographer's desk is good, the Purser's desk is better, but the prime spot for watching outrageous behaviour is next to the Shore Excursion desk! To see a bunch of people acting like kindergarteners just hang out there a bit and you will see some marvelous tantrums thrown!

;)

Moiraine December 2nd, 2010 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1331787)
Well, if you are really interested in bad behaviour caused by somebody other than the ubiquitous drunks, take a seat next to any place they deal with passengers. The Photographer's desk is good, the Purser's desk is better, but the prime spot for watching outrageous behaviour is next to the Shore Excursion desk! To see a bunch of people acting like kindergarteners just hang out there a bit and you will see some marvelous tantrums thrown!

;)


Yep, customer service is a great place to see people behaving like children.

am588 December 3rd, 2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moiraine (Post 1332035)
Yep, customer service is a great place to see people behaving like children.

and unfortunately working in customer service, i get to see it daily

Moiraine December 3rd, 2010 11:09 PM

m588, that is not a job I would want.

Kuki December 4th, 2010 11:13 AM

Usually the only person misbehavin on a ship is me :)

GrannyLorr December 7th, 2010 06:58 PM

wow it looks like old Granny is really missing out on all the excitement! I have seen a couple of obnoxious people on my cruises, but nothing like some of the antics described here! Think Granny should get out more! ;)
Then again Granny was threatened by the Captain to be keel hauled! I promise I wasnt doing what the drunks on the top deck or around the pool were doing! :confused:

Trip December 7th, 2010 07:00 PM

Oh,Granny, details please:):-D

GrannyLorr December 7th, 2010 07:15 PM

Well it was really very innocent actually. I saw the Captain having a quiet drink at the Sky Bar one afternoon.......so naturally I asked him "just who is driving this tub"...his answer "tub madam"?? (it was the Seabourn Pride.)

Then, as I blog a lot while cruising (used to be in "another" forum) I just happened to call this same Captain a chicken in my blog, because he wouldnt take us around Cape Horn....said it was "too rough".....I wasnt sea sick!! A couple of days later there was a "Captains Reception"....as I walked down to shake hands with the Captain, he started doing a chicken dance and clucking like a chicken....yep "someone" had alerted him to what I had said......there were a few such incidents, so he obviously thought he should do away with sweet little old Granny. :(

Lakers Fan December 24th, 2010 11:12 PM

2 days ago
 
We were leaving the ship taking our own luggage .A group of people began to "cut the line." One person became so angry that he pushed a suitcase causing its owner to fall down .When she got up the guy who caused her fall because to curse her non-stop .

Trip December 24th, 2010 11:19 PM

Henry,as my dear Mom used to say..I would have spit in his eye!

skymaster December 25th, 2010 09:13 AM

I honestly haven't seen any adult, "totally outrageous" behavior like described above, but I have seen "packs" of college kids who try to take over activities. Last year there was such a group aboard one of our cruises, and they stayed drunk, and obnoxious the entire cruise. Word was that they thought it was "all inclusive" and had quite a shock when they got the "sign-n-sail" bill at the end of the cruise. Sure glad I "ain't their daddy". :rolleyes:

"SKY"

Lakers Fan December 25th, 2010 09:45 AM

More from my cruise . On day #1 a couple were discussing renting a car and going on their own into one of the ports .It just so happened that in my research I read this was an area to avoid .I said "excuse me ,I don't want to but in on your conversation but I read that this is not a safe area ." The wife thanked me very much for my input but the husband said its none of my ........ business and I thought he was going to hit me .
Day #2 ,my wife and I were going into an elevator and a guy literally pushed us out .

Day #5 :We were traveling with 2 other couples .This morning we expected to be alone for breakfast and requested a table for 2 .It was however,adjacent to a table for 6 .Several minutes later one of our friends entered the dining room and the maitre'd said he could join us .He approached the table and asked the people at the table of 6 if he could sit at one of the seats closest to us (only 2 of the 6 were occupied) ,the husband of the couple said no .

Day #8: I was walking with my wife to the dining room ,a guy walking in the opposite direction walked directly into me and hit my left arm with his full body .He did not say sorry or excuse me .

Marc December 25th, 2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1336943)
More from my cruise . On day #1 a couple were discussing renting a car and going on their own into one of the ports .It just so happened that in my research I read this was an area to avoid .I said "excuse me ,I don't want to but in on your conversation but I read that this is not a safe area ." The wife thanked me very much for my input but the husband said its none of my ........ business and I thought he was going to hit me .
Day #2 ,my wife and I were going into an elevator and a guy literally pushed us out .

Day #5 :We were traveling with 2 other couples .This morning we expected to be alone for breakfast and requested a table for 2 .It was however,adjacent to a table for 6 .Several minutes later one of our friends entered the dining room and the maitre'd said he could join us .He approached the table and asked the people at the table of 6 if he could sit at one of the seats closest to us (only 2 of the 6 were occupied) ,the husband of the couple said no .

Day #8: I was walking with my wife to the dining room ,a guy walking in the opposite direction walked directly into me and hit my left arm with his full body .He did not say sorry or excuse me .

Henry, sounds like you might have deserved this. There is nothing worse than a busy body listening in to, and then interrupting, someone else's conversation. That you remember each incident is a sign that you were more interested in what happened with this other couple than enjoying your cruise.

The worst behaviour I have seen was from an older woman from South Florida who requested that two chickens be roasted for her for dinner (special order, not on menu) and then chose to eat just one drumstick.

I have seen lots of people drink too much (me included) but have not seen it lead to fights or obnoxious behaviour.

Marc

Lakers Fan December 25th, 2010 12:25 PM

Marc
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 1336972)
Henry, sounds like you might have deserved this. There is nothing worse than a busy body listening in to, and then interrupting, someone else's conversation. That you remember each incident is a sign that you were more interested in what happened with this other couple than enjoying your cruise.

The worst behaviour I have seen was from an older woman from South Florida who requested that two chickens be roasted for her for dinner (special order, not on menu) and then chose to eat just one drumstick.

I have seen lots of people drink too much (me included) but have not seen it lead to fights or obnoxious behaviour.

Marc

Normally I would agree ,however ,in this case the discussion was about an area where cruise passengers traveling on their own had been attacked .
If I had not said anything and they would have been injured my feeling would have been that I should have said something .

MercedMike December 25th, 2010 12:32 PM

Butting in
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1336979)
Normally I would agree ,however ,in this case the discussion was about an area where cruise passengers traveling on their own had been attacked .
If I had not said anything and they would have been injured my feeling would have been that I should have said something .

Well, Henry, if you had said that to me I would probably have laughed gently, ignored you, and moved off ... and done what I wanted to do anyhow.

I usually research a trip thoroughly that advice, especially unsolicited advice, from a ship mate is not going to be a consideration to me.

But I certainly would not have obsessed about it for the rest of the trip!

MercedMike December 25th, 2010 12:35 PM

Obnoxious behaviour
 
On one cruise, there were two sub teen boys in the elevator with us. When it got to their floor one of them pushed past me and said, "Get out of the way, old man!"

A couple days later, guess what, that kid entered the elevator with us, accompanied by his two parents!

I saw from his face that he recognized me, and he shrank behind his parents and tried not to be noticed.

I smiled very politely, and said to the parents, "Is your son enjoying his cruise? He looks like a nice polite boy."

Then the door opened and we got out ...

:D

Ron December 25th, 2010 04:43 PM

Regarding the guy who pushed a suit case and caused a lady to fall,-- Trip, had that have happened to me, I can guarantee I'd have had something go into his eye besides some spit!
Henry, I'm sure, regardless of what a couple people have said, you were merely trying to help keep someone from getting into an area where they may have been in danger. I think if I knew an area was dangerous and I overheard someone talking about going there, I would probably politely mention to them something along the lines that " it's not my business , please understand,but I feel I should mention that area is known to be dangerous " or something to that effect. If I didn't and they got hurt, or worse, I would feel badly about it.Then if they were rude or went ahead anyway, I could say that at least I had tried to give them a heads up. Sounds like you ran into a know-it-all type who was just a jerk to begin with. If I were about to go somewhere that was less than safe and someone overheard me talking about it and gave me some friendly, well meant advice, I would be grateful--even if I didn't heed their advice I wouldn't be a smart arse or rude to that person.

****************************

Lakers Fan December 25th, 2010 04:51 PM

Ron:

Thanks very much .I was thinking that I was the sole person with this point of view .

Catherinelady December 25th, 2010 05:07 PM

I am going solo on a cruise in February and intend to walk up high on the upper deck at night if I like. These days there are tons of cameras on the decks and any culprits who try something will be caught. I am a brave female who has a "Go ahead, make my day" attitude.

Mike M December 25th, 2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherinelady (Post 1337025)
I am going solo on a cruise in February and intend to walk up high on the upper deck at night if I like. These days there are tons of cameras on the decks and any culprits who try something will be caught. I am a brave female who has a "Go ahead, make my day" attitude.

Good for you.

While everyone should not let their common sense go on vacation when they do, it is nowhere near the point where the decks of the ships have become back alleys filled with robbers, murderers and rapists. :roll: There are some who would lead others to believe that this is the case.

I have had people warn me not to go away from the port in Cozumel because it was dangerous. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but in EVERY cruise port, at sometime, people have been robbed, mugged or even killed. It's the same in every major and most small cities in the U.S.. When the problem becomes rampant and/or specifically targeting a certain group then you need to bypass it.

There is a big difference between being cautious and being afraid.

Take care,
Mike

Ron December 25th, 2010 10:26 PM

Mike, I can understand why you edited out my last couple of lines-- I wasn't trying to be a smart #$@ -- merely trying to joke with a certain person --but I understand--peace and love Bro !! :)

Trip December 25th, 2010 10:35 PM

It's funny how an expression such as my Mom's provides qiuite the visual doesn't it? Boy I remember shen she used to say it, but I never saw her do it...... ;) One would have to have fabulous accuracy to get it right! rofl

Ron December 25th, 2010 10:37 PM

AS Mike said, good for you, Catherinelady. Don't go on a cruise and be afraid to walk the decks alone. Use common sense ashore or afloat and trust your instincts.
Cruises are meant to enjoy--not to cower in the cabin.

GrannyLorr December 26th, 2010 12:13 AM

Henry I agree completely with the warning you gave to your fellow passengers. If you ever see old Granny on a cruise feel very free to come and warn me if I am about to do something silly!! ;) I get into enough trouble, I can always do with a bit of help! I also do a lot of research but there is always "someone" else who may have read or know something that you dont! If you had spoken to me in the way you have related here, I would merely have said, "thank you for that info" then followed by "we will make other plans....or.....we will be sure to be more careful.....or.....something to that effect. Cant see any reason to be nasty about it! :(

Lakers Fan December 26th, 2010 12:22 AM

Thank you very much ,Granny .


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1