Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default A Do Over, yes or no??

When reading RD's Miracle review recently, I was surprised to read that a ship she so enjoyed before, fell so short in delivering the same kind of cruise experience. Skymaster, a seasoned Carnival cruiser, told of issues as well..

So I pose this question...would you give any ship, a do over? Say you have now sailed it twice, one great, one not so much...the price is right, it's an itinerary you love, timing is good...would you give it another chance?

Have any of you done just this,and what kind of experience was it the 3rd time around?

Yay or NAY!!!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; December 9th, 2010 at 05:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Admiral

I would if i'd had a good experience on it once. If we'd only sailed once and hated it, we'd probably just book another ship rather than chancing it.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Admiral

We've only cruised 3 1/2 times before and therefore I cannot respond to this question .However ,our friends that we are cruising with have each been in excess of 30 cruises .One couple has no allegiance to any one cruiseline .The other couple go with HAL exclusively .Not every ship has been that great but they continue to book with them.Conversely ,I have a friend who only cruises with RCL .
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

You bet. I have sailed the Conquest ten times and it has been very consistant; however, many years back (prior to Mr. Barrantes) it had IMHO slipped in both service and food quality. I was very disappointed, but it has since returned to very good quality and service. I think CCL had a growth spurt at the time and the crews were perhaps not as well trained as they should have been. If I had not given them another shot I would have missed a lot!! I think the Conquest is hard to beat now.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old December 9th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Heck yes: Unless it had been "The Cruise From Hell", which I've never experienced, I would try it again if the itinerary was right.

I wasn't a big fan of Celebrity Century but I sailed her again, last May, and had a great time. There had been some issues with food and service on my previous cruise but I nothing but great food and service on the May cruise.

I did get a bad cabin, FOV Balcony, but that was my own fault. I knew the cabin configuration but it didn't really sink in until I entered the cabin and saw the "double" bed up against the wall and the TV, that could only be viewed from the sitting area, was 15' ft. from the bed. When I wanted to watch TV I would pull down the upper berth and climb up there and watch TV.

Norwegian Epic is a ship I would only sail again "if" it was a very good itinerary or a dirt low price.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 9th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Admiral

If a good experience preceded a bad experience I would be willing to try for the best two out of three. If it is an issue of service, it is likely that shipboard management will turn over before you sail again.

I think back to back bad experiences would have me looking elsewhere.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old December 9th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to T C Send a message via AIM to T C

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
If a good experience preceded a bad experience I would be willing to try for the best two out of three. If it is an issue of service, it is likely that shipboard management will turn over before you sail again.

I think back to back bad experiences would have me looking elsewhere.
I agree ... one bad one good = do over!
two bad = it's over

But why is the rum gone? ~ Capt. Jack Sparrow

also booked: 10/10/13 Carnival Victory B2B, 01/12/14 Carnival Sunshine
Old December 10th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Honestly I much prefer to sail different ships, even after cruises I've loved. Might do a sister ship to one I really liked, but would try and change ships.

At the same time, unless there are issues with the physical plant of the ship, or the manner the cruise line does business, I wouldn't assume my experience on a particular ship is what one will experience on that ship for eternity. Captains change, Hotel Directors change, staff change, so the operation of the vessel can be quite different sailing the same ship on a different date.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 10th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Admiral

We indeed are "seasoned Carnival sailors" with 27 Carnival cruises, and over 120 total cruises. I ABSOLUTELY will sail "Miracle" again, but I will NEVER sail any ship where the cruise director is Malcolm Burn. ALL of the problems we experienced aboard "Miracle" were directly connected to him, or his staff! We have sailed "Miracle" 5 or 6 times, and have always had excellent cruises aboard her, but the last cruise, with Roller Donna turned out to be a bummer. I'm glad that I have access to the list of Cruise Directors, what ships they are aboard, and when. That way, I can avoid Mr. Burn!

Ken
"SKY"
Old December 10th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Honestly I much prefer to sail different ships, even after cruises I've loved. Might do a sister ship to one I really liked, but would try and change ships.

At the same time, unless there are issues with the physical plant of the ship, or the manner the cruise line does business, I wouldn't assume my experience on a particular ship is what one will experience on that ship for eternity. Captains change, Hotel Directors change, staff change, so the operation of the vessel can be quite different sailing the same ship on a different date.
Kuki, if you had a 'home port' you'd tend to sail the ships from there more often. I do need to get my haircut so I HAVE TO do a cruise.;-)

Ken: duly noted-I will avoid upon your advise.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old December 10th, 2010, 12:24 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
Kuki, if you had a 'home port' you'd tend to sail the ships from there more often. I do need to get my haircut so I HAVE TO do a cruise.;-)

Ken: duly noted-I will avoid upon your advise.
Dang it Snooze, you beat me to it, I was gonna say you would be a hippie rancher if not for the Conquest
Old December 10th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Texans,and the surrounding states, 98% of the time, as they say, go west young man, go west Y'all must know Cozumel, better than the locals

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 10th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Talking Do it again?

We have frequently returned to the same ship (or the same class of ship). We love the Radiance class on RCI and the Zuiderdam class on HAL and return to them when the itinerary and dates are right. Grand class on Princess is not our favorite type of ship but we have also returned to that class. It has never been disappointing. One simply has to accept that the experience might be DIFFERENT. Trying to go back and reproduce an experience exactly would be a problem.

Has there been an overall deterioration with time in ALL those lines? Well, yes, I have to say there has. Just small things indicate to me that with so many ships sailing, the best staff are spread too thin and the training suffers. But that is not any one particular ship or line, it is all over.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old December 10th, 2010, 12:41 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

We repeated a trip once on the Carnival Imagination, which ended up having the same CD, and the same shows. It blew big time, so we just tried doing different activities.

HOWEVER, we did repeat the Explorer of the Seas three years in a row, cause it was really our only option to keep returning to Bermuda. Found it took three 5 day cruises anyway to take that whole ship in anyway. And we would go back for a fourth. Bermuda is just SO worth it.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old December 10th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Texans,and the surrounding states, 98% of the time, as they say, go west young man, go west Y'all must know Cozumel, better than the locals
We have been going there for about 28 years, well before it became a BIG cruise port. We have really seen it change a lot. We have made friends there and we have a place to stay, we just seem to always be on a cruise. I get emails from people on the island asking various things and opinions (the flu scare was big) and I've helped with some hurricane relief, so I do have a bit of an attachment to Coz. I'm known as Pepe Lopez to a lot of the locals.

Your right, there is nothing that sails from Galveston that does not make a call at Cozumel. That's OK as it really is still our favorite.

Future Cruises:

Last edited by Snoozeman; December 10th, 2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old December 10th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Captain

In 2006 we sailed the Princess Sun for the first time. Loved the ship but there was something going on between the staff and crew-the atmosphere was terrible,made us feel very uncomfortable. And we made the mistake of comparing everything to our previous cruises. We both agreed that we would not cruise Princess again. Well, the following year, the friends we had cruised with on the Sun called and told us the Sea had a great 14 night itinerary at a really good price. We hesitated but decided to go and we're so glad we did! What a great cruise! We repeated on the Mercury and would go again-unfortunately it won't be around much longer. And we're doing a second cruise on the Constellation in Jan. Can't wait to see the refurb!
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old December 10th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeteLI View Post
We repeated a trip once on the Carnival Imagination, which ended up having the same CD, and the same shows. It blew big time, so we just tried doing different activities.
The shows will stay with any given ship for quite a long number of years, so even if the CD changes, the BIG shows will most likely be the same. Aboard "Miracle", the BIG shows were excellent, but it was all of the other activities, and music that Malcolm Burn screwed up. They even messed up most of the trivia aboard. Activities would be listed in the "Capers", and you'd go to the appointed place, at the correct time, and there was no ships staff there, and nobody knew anything about what happened to the trivia or bean bad toss, or whatever was supposed to happen there? One thing they NEVER missed was BINGO. That's a money maker for them, and even though Mr. Burn never showed up, his staff was always there to collect those Ten and Twenty dollar bills! They even screwed up karaoke! Moved it to a hallway, just outside the dining room, and if that wasn't bad enough, they had a photographer there as well taking photos with the piano in that area? Well, enough of that. To reiterate, I'll NEVER sail with Mr. Burn again,,,,GUARANTEED!

"SKY"
Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:29 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
We indeed are "seasoned Carnival sailors" with 27 Carnival cruises, and over 120 total cruises. I ABSOLUTELY will sail "Miracle" again, but I will NEVER sail any ship where the cruise director is Malcolm Burn. ALL of the problems we experienced aboard "Miracle" were directly connected to him, or his staff! We have sailed "Miracle" 5 or 6 times, and have always had excellent cruises aboard her, but the last cruise, with Roller Donna turned out to be a bummer. I'm glad that I have access to the list of Cruise Directors, what ships they are aboard, and when. That way, I can avoid Mr. Burn!

Ken
"SKY"
I sailed the Miracle Dec. 5th, still had Malcolm Burn as CD and had a wonderful trip. Mr. Burn really wasn't a big player in our sailing as Sparkles handled most of the CD functions.

With so many cruise ships I've never sailed on, It would be hard for me to justify doing the same ship twice with a B2B being an exception.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by T C View Post
I agree ... one bad one good = do over!
two bad = it's over
i would check out lots of reviews also to see if there was a re-occuring theme either good or bad