Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Would you make a major purchase from an onboard shop?

In another thread this morning
Annoyed and Disappointed

we saw a problem that developed for a trusting customer onboard a ship.

Which lead me to opening this thread. Have you or would you make a major purchase on a ship?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Question Major purchase onboard

That particular thread is about jewelry, which would be one of the most common onboard purchases. I am a trained Gemologist with over 20 years experience in the jewelry business and I guarantee you that I have NEVER seen a bargain in the on board shops or the shops on shore! It is hard for me to understand why anybody would buy any major item onboard. But apparently lots and lots of people do.

Now an exception is local touristy stuff. I bought a cute amber donkey in the Dominican Republic, for example, and some matroyshka dolls in Russia. It is fun buying them locally. Still don't see any reason to buy the same item on the ship.

I restrict my shipboard purchases to polo shirts and caps with the cruise line logo on them.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old December 21st, 2010, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I worked in a jewlelry store for many years and saw all kinds of purchases and unhappy people who bought on board, and, on the islands.

If you are investing in a "major" purchase, support your local jeweler. who will be there for any issues, & not waving bye bye to the ship, as it leaves the port.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 24th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Admiral

We only bought tee shirts .However ,the shops were mobbed with long lines especially in the jewelry areas
Old December 25th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Admiral

NEVER! Our best friends are GIA gemologists, who just retired from their own shop after many, many years, and our son-in-law is also a GIA gemologists, and goldsmith. All three have advised against buying anything major from the islands, or from the ships stores. Yes, there are some nice pieces, but there are no real bargains, and as noted in the post, where are you going to go if you have a problem? Nope,,,,,I'll stick to a known source when I lay down major bucks for jewelery.

"SKY"
Old December 28th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

On our Baltic Cruise last year, I bought some "fauxberge" jewellery onboard....as opposed to "faberge".....I like "pretty" jewellery, but dont give a damn if its "real" or not. Those who inherit it after I fall off my perch wont care either.....I would never pay huge prices for anything on a ship. On our South American Circumnavigation, a representative from H Sterns was onboard......we got to know him quite well....his aim in life was to get my husband to buy some H Stern jewellery before he left the ship.....he failed.....as much as I loved some of their jewellery, do you know how may cruises I could do for the price of just one small piece?? I would rather a cruise with memories than a bauble I would rarely use.

Seabourn Pride...Dover to Singapore...88 Days....Sept 17 2011