Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default How to Beat the Cost of Drinks Onboard

A thread by Bruce in "cruise gripes" provoked this thought.

How could one get around the high cost of drinks on a cruise?

Instead of buying water I usually drink the melted water in the ice bucket. We brought a water tester on a ship and we found it to be completely free of particulates.

Can't you also make your own iced tea in the buffet from hot water and tea bags? You can have herbal tea, the best Earl Grey, etc.

How about bringing a thermos cup onboard so you can go to the buffet and refill it with drinking water so you don't have to buy drinking water onboard?

Of course you can bring other things with you as well - "Tang" maybe, your own iced tea or Starbucks coffee, etc. You can even buy soda in port and bring it on most ships.

What do YOU do to save money for drinks on cruises?
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Admiral

I drink my water out of the pool on the lido deck. It's salty and tasty, but beware the yellow water.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Wow - you don't suffer from insanity, do you?

You might as well go for the jacuzzi for that extra oomph of unknown human slough. (seriously, hot tubs in public places can be a dangerous thing - don't drink the water).
Old January 4th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

My wife likes to have a cocktail or two in the evening while we are sitting on the balcony. What I do to lower the cost is to buy an in-cabin bar setup from the cruise line.

While some people may cringe at the initial cost, somewhere around $60 - $100 per bottle, it actually saves a bit of money rather than buying it buy the drink. Some lines like Princess and Celebrity add six cans of soda to the order but other lines like NCL make you buy the soda on board. My wife will often go to the buffet at breakfast time and fill a 20 oz. mug with OJ and then put it in the fridge for a mixer. On our last cruise on Epic the room service person who took our call for sodas didn't have a great grasp of English. I asked for four cans of Sierra Mist. She kept saying "What?". I then said: "Lemon/Lime Soda." She said OK. When our order arrived there were four lemons and four limes on the tray. We told the person who brought it what we really wanted and she returned in about five minutes with the soda. The nice thing about the mistake was that my wife now had lemon for her water and lime for her drinks.

The in-cabin bar setup is also far more convenient than ordering from room service and waiting 20 - 45 minutes for it to arrive or making the husband run to a bar and bring it back to the room. It is also convenient because it's right there in the room when you board and you don't have to worry about smuggling liquor.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Mike - while I do not personally like hard liquor (and I am even thinking of giving up wine - too many headaches). I agree the bar setups are one of the better ideas for drinkers on ships. $60 for a full bottle and mixers is a bargain compared to what you would pay by the drink (half price probably).

What size are the bottles? liters?
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Most of the bottles are 750 ml size. On Princess they have 350 ml bottles. The price per bottle is less but the price works out the same as other lines for the same amount.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Wow - you don't suffer from insanity, do you?

You might as well go for the jacuzzi for that extra oomph of unknown human slough. (seriously, hot tubs in public places can be a dangerous thing - don't drink the water).
I only drink the hot tub water when I want a warm beverage. In the afternoon the water is too hot; I like the cool refreshing lido swimming pool water. Remember you have to be over 21 to drink water out of the adult only pool so be sure to bring your ID.

If anyone is taking me serious and drinks out of either the swimming pool or the hot tub on a cruise ship they have more issues with sanity then I do.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 5th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Captain

im not sure about all cruise lines but Carnival and Princess both allow you to bring 1 twelve pack of soda's each along on a cruise. This saves quite a bit of money. I have even brought a cooler on wheels on the cruise with me and had our room Steward keep it filled with ice.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Okay here is a serious post on this topic. We normally cruise Carnival. Here are some of the ways we save on drinks:

1. We bring in sodas/water from home,
2. When in port we buy additional sodas/water and bring them on board,
3. In the dining room on Carnival you can order a cappuccino with no additional charge,
4. If you call Carnival's Bon Voyage department before the cruise you can order bottles of Alcohol delievered to your room. Like Mike said it is expensive for the bottles. I wish the still had the Fruit Punch it was a great mixer for my rum.
5. Instead of buying a Mocha at the coffee bar on board. At the Breakfast buffet I mix the hot chocolate with my coffee and creamer to make my own verision.

It is my understanding that RCL will not allow you to order a bar set up or bottles for your room. Also on RCL you are not allowed the 1 bottle of wine (carry on only) per person over 21 years of age. This is a bummer because my next cruise is on RCL. But I have 16 months maybe they will change the policy.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Talking We usually bring this. .

moonshine-still1.jpg

It saves us a bunch!
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Mike, I'm not trying to gross you out .... but I think you were serious in your post.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO not drink water out of the ice bucket.

I was watching a show on "The Doctors" where they talked about germs. etc in hotel rooms, and the same logic applies to cruise ships. When one is sick in .... they tend to use the ice buckets as the receptacle of choice, which later get rinsed out and not sterilized. I won't even use the ice in the icebucket.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Familiar Face

We save a bit by doing a few things.

I bring a 12 pack of coke zero, I do bring a rumrunner with my favourite rum (Mount Gay) as I have not been able to buy it for a liquor set up.

We have brought wine (usually fairly expensive and don't mind paying corkage) I don't like paying $120 a bottle for something decent on board - this doesn't work if you drink $12 plonk - it will work out the same as the cheapest wine on board.

I have brought drinking boxes of juice for my lads, as juice isn't available after breakfast, and kind of a silly expense to buy it on board. The orange juice is horrible on every cruise we have been on, so it is nice to have some real stuff too.

My lads are now teens, so they work out and play basketball etc., so they like to bring gatorades with them. You can't buy them on board.

We bring insulated water bottles and fill them up at the buffet. We are going on the Blues Cruise on the 21st, and last year on the blues cruise we were listening to the bands all day at the pool deck, so we need to keep hydrated from dancing and staying in the sun all day. Buying water would get very expensive and it urks me to pay for water.
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Sun ~

Very good advice all around - thank you!

The only thing I would change is the wine - unless you don't mind the corkage fee, you can drink it in your stateroom at no additional cost.
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Kat...

You are correct, RCL does not allow the bottle of wine or anthing else to be brought onboard.

Carnival does allow a bottle of wine, I believe one per person.

I also think most people overlook the chance to buy drinks in port - if you can wait a day it is far easier to bring something onboard from a port than it is from home (in a suitcase?).

And if what you buy is a local souvenir kind of thing (RUM in the Caribbean, wine in Europe) then they should have no objections.

Lines like Princess and Holland America are very tolerent about buying souvenir booze. We have never been questioned. RCL may be a bit tougher (no personal experience).
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
DO NOT, I repeat, DO not drink water out of the ice bucket.

I was watching a show on "The Doctors" where they talked about germs. etc in hotel rooms, and the same logic applies to cruise ships. When one is sick in .... they tend to use the ice buckets as the receptacle of choice, which later get rinsed out and not sterilized. I won't even use the ice in the icebucket.
I was the one who said that - but I never thought of that. You could be right. But you could always just wash the ice bucket when you first arrive. As far as I know you keep the same ice bucket throughout the cruise.

Anyway - we tested it and found it to be very clean water.
Old January 7th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Captain

Last year when we sailed the Island Princess on our Panama Canal cruise we were allowed to bring beer back on the ship and take to our stateroom. I bought a 12 pack of Panama Beer, pretty good beer too! That was the first time I have ever seen that.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Admiral

oops - sorry Paul. You mentioned first that it was free of particulate, but was it also free of microbes?

Sun- you mentioned the orange juice being terrible ... I think it was on our Princess cruise that we learned if you orderd 'fresh-squeezed" orange juice at breakfast, you got the good stuff. Is that still true? Juice boxes are a great idea ... but I'm thinking that would add to the weight of your suitecase. Can't win!

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Admiral

I can't remember if it was mentioend here or on the cruise tips thread .... but I also bring sippy cups for the kids and a coffee thermos for me. I fill up my coffee thermos wtih coffe or iced tea/lemonade prior to going to the pool or an excursion. I can usually find someone on the lido restaurant to get me apple juice for the kids.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 7th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
oops - sorry Paul. You mentioned first that it was free of particulate, but was it also free of microbes?
I don't know - I'm not a scientist . I don't know what the device actually measures. It comes with the "Zero-filter" water filter you see advertised on TV all the time.

I left my microscope and centrifuge at home on that cruise.
Old January 7th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrdude View Post
Attachment 353

It saves us a bunch!
Grandpa!
Only problem is you have to drive to the port. ;-)

an aside: In my 'other' life I'm a rancher and after posting this, I realized we're dressed identical this morning...Gramps and I...in our chores clothes. I fill my 'alls out a little more though....

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.

Last edited by Snoozeman; January 7th, 2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old January 7th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I was the one who said that - but I never thought of that. You could be right. But you could always just wash the ice bucket when you first arrive. As far as I know you keep the same ice bucket throughout the cruise.

Anyway - we tested it and found it to be very clean water.
Nope-depends on how that cabin steward team operates. I've seen them collect a lot of ice buckets at one time, fill, then return. No guarantee you'd get back the same ice bucket.

I only use ice from my little ice chest that I always take, but I've also been know to drink the water from the bucket in the mornings.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.

Last edited by Snoozeman; January 7th, 2011 at 01:31 PM.