Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 10th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Did you get your free cruise? Getting ready to mail my first 200.00 and need to know: HAS ANYONE RECEIVED THE "FREE" CRUISE???
Old October 10th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have yet to hear that anyone got a free cruise.. Any time you have to shell out dollars, that should set the alarm...Nothing is free...You mentioned having to send in the $200, what would that be for if this is a free cruise?

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 17th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

THIS IS S SCAM - DO NOT PAY ANYTHING!!!

here is a recent video about it...

Old October 27th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I got my card today in Tustin, California. On the card's face it reads "Your Complimentary 7 Day Cruise". As someone already noticed, there is nothing about being FREE but "COMPLIMENTARY" which is not synonym to FREE.

The promised line is "Norwegian Cruise Line" (exactly as I spelled). I am called by name and on the back of the card on top, there is the exact Norwegian Cruise Line logo and full name well spelled.
The number to call is 1.800.313.5054. Monday to Friday 9 am to 10 pm EST(?)
The address is Welcome Center, Hughes Way, Long Beach, CA 90810.

I called and talked to a nice lady(of course) which told me the exact same thing - that we have to attend a presentation of some sort after which we will be given our "COMPLIMENTARY" cruise tickets after paying a deposit of $99(prices are going up people...).

Definitely a scam.

BTW, a lot of people here ask if anybody got their free cruise ticket.
Well, there is no positive answer because nobody got any ticket to any cruise. It is just a pure SCAM and although some were arrested somewhere, others are picking up and continue the legacy making millions thanks to federal and states law loopholes without shame on naive and poor people.

Thank you.
Old November 7th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The CruiseGift.com web site shows cruises from Galveston at the top, but they are sponsored listings - in other words, ads from other travel agencies.

Its all a scam - do not go for any of these deals. There is a reason why we have no successful cruises completed - no one has ever done it.
Old December 6th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Seems they are reading these or other posts and are cleaning up their postcards. I'm thinking of attending a presentation with a hidden camera. new toll free number is 877-289-9860
Old December 6th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You could go with a hidden camera - but these people are slick. I am pretty convinced everything they are doing is technically legal - and that is the sad part of this whole thing. They can get away with it because they are not breaking any laws.

They are completely unethical and lie to you - but there is little in writing that they give you that guarantees you a "free cruise". It is all double-talk and promises never meant to be kept.

Note - the cards usually say "complementary" and NOT "complimentary." The first means "additive" or "coordinated" the second means "free".
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:59 PM
Familiar Face

Just wanted to provide some interesting info regarding this cruise.

Here's the postcard I received today. It asks people to call within 48 hours to 1-855-394-9948. The ports of call are the same as previously mentioned.

The wording of the offer as as follows. Except for the ficticious name, I have used exact spacing, formatting, italics and bold font:

Dear John Doe
In celebration of our Grand Opening in your area, you have been selected to receive a 8 Day/7- Night Cruise for 2 with an outside cabin, leaving from any major port in the U.S.

CALL WITHIN 48 HOURS. YOU WILL ALSO RECEIVE AS A BONUS
2 Roundtrip Airfares Leaving from or Going to Any Major Airport in the Continental U.S.!!

So...did anyone notice? At no point in the above offer, or anywhere else on the postcard, did they ever say "Complimentary", "Complementary", "Free", or any other similiar language. They leave it up to the person receiving the card to interpret that for themselves...which would be an incorrect assumption!

Old December 24th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Admiral

To say the least, very misleading for sure.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 24th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Yep, Roadnut - morphing the scam for sure, but still the same old thing.
Old January 21st, 2012, 03:20 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default I just got mine today....

...with a few differences. This one is for Norwegian Cruise Lines. It was in a folded envelope where you tear off the sides to open it instead of a postcard and had a sample cruise boarding pass (with all the fine print on the back) along with the letter. The outside said, "Final Notice: Ticket Voucher Enclosed." I got all excited at first because I had recently entered a few contests to win a cruise and at first glance, it looked like I was a winner. On closer scrutiny, the logo looked photocopied or running out of ink, so being the skeptic I am, I decided to Google before I got too excited. This one has pretty much the same wording as some of the others.

"You were verified and as a result of this offer your name and Ticketing Number have been issue! You will receive an 8 Day/7 Night Cruise for 2, leaving from any major port in the US."

"CALL WITHIN 48 HOURS. YOU WILL ALSO RECEIVE AS A BONUS 2 Round Trip Airfares Leaving from or Going to Any Major Airport in the Continental U.S.!!"

The new phone number is 1-877-567-1910

I'm annoyed that they have my home address. I have very little mail sent there as most mail is sent to my PO Box and I rarely give it out. Wonder who sold my information?
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Angry Total Scam

My husband and I attended a 45 minute presentation from Smart Travel Incentives Inc. after that we had a representative trying to sell us a 10k package to a club that offers discount vacation packages(That you could book yourself online for the same price minus the thousands you would pay them) then he switched places with another person that said he was busy, then they switched back, then they switched to a woman who was pissed when we still wouldn't buy their bs package. We then received our certificates for the free cruise and the free airfare for two. I filled out the forms sent them in the mail with a payment of $99 for cruise and $75 for the airfare and sent them out in the mail. Just got the check and the form returned to us with void stamped across the form. The letter said we didn't follow the protocol and send it certified mail so it was void. They received everything had it in their hands and sent it back to us. Can anyone say scam? Don't bother going to this thing the company had a C rating with the bbb because they are scam artists. But on the positive side I have gotten my $99 back so far.
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Admiral

It is unfortunate, we hear about these scams all the time. I think you were lucky to get your $ back....Lesson learned.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 8th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by scammed View Post
But on the positive side I have gotten my $99 back so far.
What happened to the $75 air charge?

Did you send two different checks, and only got one back, or did you pay the air in a separate way - or did they only return one check?

I am not following what happened at the end.

Anyway - so far you are only out $75 and a few hours of your life - it could have been much worse. They would have soaked you for far much more before you finally gave up if they could.
Old February 8th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Admiral

I just got my card for a complimentary 8 day/7 night cruise . The picture has RCCL logo on the side of the ship, but no name on the bow. If I call in 48 hours, I'm to get a $100 dining certificate! Says I'm leaving from Canaveral, going to Nassau and St. Thomas!
At the end, it says This is not a timeshare OF (yes OF) land sale offer.
Anyhow, it's being put in my file...the trash can.
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Welcome Newcomer

So I had to add to this thread just to make sure that everyone understood the presentation in DC I attended. I knew that if it smells like a scam, sounds like a scam, it's a scam. Curiosity got the best of me and I had to wait for traffic to die down so I listened to the 90 min presentation (which became 2 hours as they tried to cajole me into buying).

It started with the 9k plus one time fee. Then went into "Hot Weeks" with even lower deals. Then I said no it's too high. They came down to 5k no annual fee. I said I needed references (which they had in a Word format - all positive). So I pulled out my Droid and started searching the company "Gold Crown Resort" in conjunction with "Virgin Marketing Group". The sales reps tried their best to take my attention away from my search on my phone as they rotated one by one at my table trying to talk to me and distract me.

I plainly told them I don't spend that amount of cash without references and my own research. They then dropped the fee down to 1k no annual fees but no guarantee of dates with vacation in the "trial" version.

I said no and that their time had exceeded from 90 mins to two hours. They said fine and gave me their "free" gift. When I had to sign for it the language ended with "In accepting this promotional gift, you release Virgin Marketing Group, and Gold Crown Resort from any responsibility with respect to the processing of said gift."

Nice.

I got the postcard with the very obvious RCCL ship on it and the logo grayed out. It says "after activation, you will receive your docs in 15 days. If not, email - wonderlandofc@gmail.com". Flip it over and it states there is a 49.00 activation fee and then you have to send in 98.00 made payable to Wonderland Incentives, P.O. Box 2265, Woodbridge, VA 22195. There is also a disclaimer that there will be more fees based on destination.

Um no.

Last but not least - the final line says, "Wonderland Incentives and its vendor partners accept no responsibility for any verbal or written representations made in conjunction with this offer by any distributor or agent other than those included in this offer. This offer is void where prohibited.

It's going in the trash. No money spent. Just time wasted that needed to be wasted to wait on traffic out of DC. I am still amused how they tried to "keep me company" as I searched on my phone. I ignored them as I searched. Said no and nicely left.

-MJB
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thank you for the update....

I am very glad to hear you did not fall for this. Unfortunately we have had people tell us they have fallen for it.

I have made it a rule that I will never buy anything where I am told I have to do it right now or I lose the opportunity. Anytime someone says that it only means they are trying to sell me something they do not want me to research.

But this is truly one of the worst scams, and as I have said before as far as I can tell the cruise lines can't do anything to stop them. The companies apparently spend a tiny amount of money to keep a few cruise reservations ready so they can claim they do have cruises available - but you will never get them without paying one fee after another.

We had one guy here who went as far as he could stand to go - for our benefit, and he payed up to almost $400 per person for a 1 week cruise, and he still did not get the cruise. He had to pay additional fees three of four times.

Finally he just disappeared. I think he realized he was getting nowhere, and although he was doing it for our benefit it was costing him money.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:31 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Robo Call Offer

For the 2nd time in five years, I received a robo call offer for a free 7 night cruise, including free airfare from Boston.

You press a key to indicate more interest and then you pick one of 2 available times to attend a presentation that they say is NOT a time share presentation, but instead a travel "group" that they hope you'll use for future vacations and this free offer is just to introduce you to their "group".

The 2 times were for the very next day and I couldn't attend, so I left a message and got a call back. The presentation was at an office park in Cummings Park, Woburn, MA.

Is this a common scam where the "port fees" and other fees just end up costing just as much as a full package you could find on the Internet? Is the phrase "time share presentation" just interchanged for another kind of presentation like "vacation club"?

So rather than a postcard, I got a robo call. Same basic scam?
Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:17 AM
Admiral

This sure sounds like it for me...I wouldn't waste my time or $ on it. You can find a cruise for the same $ and not have their restrictions..

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Forgive me if someone has already posted this link. I found this from a news agency who went undercover to one of the presentations. I called today and got the same talk as everyone else. Thank goodness I found this forum. We will not be attending.

Travel agency's trail of broken promises stretches from coast to coast | Consumer News | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News
Old March 13th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thanks for the link. It's a shame that they are getting away with it yet again without anyone filing a single charge of fraud.

It is a very complex scam - and one where they are basically just flat out liars - but you can't nail them down because there are not guarantees in writing, etc.

There are people who have been taken for far more than $3000 - some people have paid almost $20,000 - just to join the "club."
Old March 14th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Scam is much deeper

Hey Guys,

I think there is a connection between this scam and "cardholder services" (google it) scam, as well as about 50 other pseudonyms. This is part of their tactic, they have this list of scams, and every one of them seems to target just a few thousand of us, so they can keep going unnoticed.

Every single one of them is simply a scam, they have about every method in the book, health scams, phone sex, cruises, lower interest rates, overdue taxes, etc. All they want is your credit card number, so they can charge you ~1000-2000 dollars.

I personally did not get this mailing, but I did get robo calls offering me a free cruise from royal caribbian, and to press one to talk to someone. This is literally an identical robo-call to the cardholder services scam, except a different message.

I invite anyone interested in tracking these scum down to join the thousands of us in the two facebook group(s) dedicated to tracking down cardholder services. "cardholder services" seems to be their biggest scam, it has the most number of people of any of the 'related' scams I have come across.
Old March 14th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Oh yeah

The connecting glue, between these two scams maybe this:

coast2coast.virtualcollector.net

and

cardholder.virtualcollector.net
Old March 14th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Well, so far, I have NOT seen anyone actually get a "free" cruise...Basically, all these are is scams.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 14th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Yep

Donna, you are 100% correct. There is NO validity AT ALL about this scam and all their related "companies". The only validity is HIGHLY deceptive contracts/promises, which if sued, would not hold up under law. The problem is, you can't sue them, because their ACTUAL company name is hidden behind piles of virtually untraceable 'companies' and money transfers.

This whole scam is setup, so that these individual scams, if discovered, hold no fruit, because there is literally a balance of 0 in the companies. Their using these shady "financial" companies in FL, to charge your credit card. From FL, who knows where the money goes, but I can tell you, it certainly does not stay inside these FL 'financial companies' bank accounts, it's probably transferred offshore, and then somewhere else.

If you want my 2 cents, anyone knowingly participating in this should be arrested on CRIMINAL charges, and there is probably hundreds of those people between all these related scams.
Old March 14th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I got a phone call myself last night - there was no free cruise involved, but there was a promise of three hotels nights, a free flight anywhere in the US and $80 in dinner coupons. (red Lobster, etc)

All I had to do was attend a seminar. They gave me an address here in Phoenix:

20830 N Tatum Blvd,
Desert Ridge Corporate Center #125
Phoenix, AZ 85050

Company name" Highland Resorts"

They promised me "not a single penny would come out of your wallet" - when I asked where they got my name they said "a friend or relative recommended me."

This last part seems to be a new thing with these scams - they want those recommendations.

By the way, I put her on hold & walked away. She actually had the nerve to call me back. When I said "I want you to take me off of your calling list" she said "as soon as you agree to come to our seminar."
Old March 21st, 2012, 03:33 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Easy response for high pressure time share salespeople

Let's face it. The timeshare people probably got you in the door by lying to you (90 minutes...ya right!) and the sales pitch is high pressure at best. I have a full proof plan that is impenetrable by the sales people. I won't even charge $29.99, not $19.99, not even $1.99! You get this gratis...that's free bro.

When they start their pitch, you look them right in the eye and say "I don't get vacation. I work 7 days a week."

If they push you and ask what type of job, you look them in the eye again and say "It's related to the government and I'm not allowed to discuss it."

If they push you further then ask them to right down their name and address and that you have informed them you are not allowed to discuss it and they will be contacted.

What can they say? All they can say is "why did you come to this meeting if you can't take vacation?" And you can say "I came for the free trip. You said there was no purchase requirement so it doesn't matter that I can't take a vacation."

It's a thing of beauty. They just sit there with a confused look on their face. They start to say something and then stop. They go and get their manager, the manager comes over and asks - "You don't get vacation?" And you say "Not for the first 5 years and after that, it is based on geo political conditions outside of my control. I have explained that I can't discuss this, are you asking me questions about my job?"

He will be at a loss. They will pow wow and then usher you away from everyone else and give you the free certificates and try to not let everyone else see you leave well before everyone else.

They know you are lying. You know you are lying but there is nothing they can do about it. It's Magic!

You're welcome.
Old March 21st, 2012, 04:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I like it, Showman. I actually dinner last night with a guy with a job (kind of) like that. He could not discuss it t all, and it was not a gov't job, just a gov't contract job.

Like you said - they said "no obligation to buy - now give me my prize."

There is one wrinkle though - you can't get "the przie" without paying some fees. You can say "but you said no cost before" and they will say "we don't chanrge any cost, these are GOVERNMENT fees." It's kind of like they beat you to it.

Sorry, but thank anyway.
Old March 24th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Admiral

I got the same card in the mail last week. Was thinking about checking it out but now after hearing this info, I don't think so. I have sat through 90 min. presentations and the hard sell before. Never liked them. Thanks everyone for this valuable info.
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I can validate that this is a scam. I recieved the same "free cruise" as listed in the previous video and sat throught the sales pitch to recieve the "free cruise" While I have spent hours on this over the last year I am finally ready to give up. Unfortunately I had a friend that did recieve a reduced vacation home last year and went with no problem so at a weak moment I sent in $99 to "confirm" my reservation. I have been corresponding since then by e-mail with "cruise gift" representative "Gloria " to give me the price of the charge I am to payThe first quote she gave me was for $750 for 2 for a seven day cruise on the Miracle - about the same as if we had booked an interior ourselvles. Here are the last two e-mails from her:

Mrs. Ogburn

Please see below and please note that I will be charging you the $50 per person change fee for any further dates. I am in the office on Saturday trying to catch up and I have priced a number of cruise dates for you. I usually only price 2 additional dates after your original request and then I begin to charge the change fee.

CARNIVAL FREEDOM
NOVEMBER 11 2012

OUTSIDE CABIN:

$159.00 PER PERSON PORT CHARGES
$95.74 PER PERSON GOVERNMENT FEES
$50.00 PER PERSON HOLIDAY SURCHARGE

$609.48 TOTAL DUR FOR 2

Gloria
----- Original Message -----
To: gloria@travelpromo.biz, "Guy Ogburn" <shinstkd@bellsouth.net>
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2012 4:47:32 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: RE: Ogburn #23101

Hello Gloria:

THank you for your patience with us. Could you please give us a quote for the Carnival Freedom departing Fort Lauderdale on Nov 11, 2012. It is a six day cruise. Thanks for your help.

Leanne Ogburn
logburn@hotmail.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Gloria
Cruise Gift
405-463-9288

This email is intended only for the use of the recipients named above. Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the information or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.

If you received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply email

Thank you.

New|ReplyReply allForward|DeleteJunkNot junkSweep ▼
Fom: cruise gift (gloria@travelpromo.biz)
Sent: Fri 11/04/11 9:54 AM
To: logburn@hotmail.com

Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.

Dear Cruise Gift Traveler,

We have received your reservation request form for your Cruise Gift that you received for attending a presentation . Per the terms and conditions of the certificate, you are responsible for all taxes, and port charges. Upgrade fees and/or surcharges have also been added for this sailing as you have chosen a premier cruise line and ship. Due to the popularity of low season cruises, all of our cabin allotments for the first 2 categories are sold out at this time. You also have the option of extending your certificate through December 2012. The cruise certificate is generally used on cruises with an approximate gross value of $1000.00 to $1,200.00, so anything over that in peak season/holiday season you would want to anticipate paying out of pocket, other charges which may occur are cabin upgrades, taxes, tips, insurance, transfers and excursions. To get a feel for the taxes and possible upgrades visit any reputable retailer. Please note that you may upgrade to a balcony cabin at an additional cost or downgrade to an inside cabin.

Cruise fares are not guaranteed until booked and all fees must be paid in full within 7 days of this email. Any changes in the retail pricing within the 7 days by the Cruise Line will be the sole responsibility of the guest.

Per the terms and conditions, dates may be changed after your cruise for the original dates has been purchased. There will be a minimum charge of $50 per person to change your dates as well as any charges added by the cruise line.

There is a voicemail and travel agent set up for return calls, but for faster service, please respond via this email address. Please note that our offices are closed on Saturday and Sunday.

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE
CARNIVAL MIRACLE 7 DAY
FORT LAUDERDALE CARIBBEAN
DECEMBER 4 2011

THIS CRUISE HAS NO AVAILABLE OCEANVIEW CABINS. THERE ARE ONLY INSIDE CABINS AVAILABLE. YOU MAY ALSO CHOOSE A NEW SHIP AND SAIL DATE.

Sincerely,

Gloria
Cruise Gift Travel Consultant
405-463-9288

Copyright ? 2011 Cruise Gift, All rights reserved.

unsubscribe from this list
Mrs. Ogburn

Please submit only 1 ship and sail date. I am extremely busy with March bookings and my time is limited. I hope to be able to do your pricing later today or tonight.