Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Captain

Question Cingular Wireless Maritime Service

Does anyone have any info on this cruise ship cellular service? Celebrity says they have it on all their ships so I'm assuming the other lines do also. It's only available in International waters-is that 1 mile out,3, 5?? When it's operating, your display says "roaming on At&T wireless". So would that mean I'd have to have an account with AT&T? I have prepaid with Virgin and when I called them for answers I got no where-when I asked if I could use the phone on a cruise ship she said yes, it would work anywhere in the continental U.S.
I've never used a cell phone a cruise before but we'll be gone for 16 nights and I'd like to have contact with my 94 year-old mother if it's available.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Familiar Face

Virgin more than likely will not work out to seas (they are a subcompany of Sprint, so use the Sprint towers.) Virgin and Sprint use CDMA technology, meaning they do not have sim cards= no international use (or extremely limited; Sprint phones might be able to roam, but they usually do not allow their prepaid to). My suggestion would be to pick up a cheap ATT go phone (they run anywhere from $14-100) so that way you can use your phone on the cinuglar/ ATT service, and won't have to worry about going over your minutes and seeing crazy fees.

Edit: I've been working with Virgin for a few years now, and unfortunately their customer service will almost always tell you anything you want to hear I'm 99% positive the Virgin phones will not work internationally

Carnival Liberty, 1/28/11
RCCL 2003,2004