Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Cruising with dietary issues, good/bad?

I was speaking with someone last week, who has a friend, that won't cruise because she has a gluten allergy. She felt it would be too hard to get foods she can enjoy.. I honestly could not address this for her..except....

I know once, when I asked for salt free, I had some issues,and gave up.

So I am wondering, for those of you with special dietary needs, how were your requests handled? Has every line you cruised stepped up to the plate, to help you have a good culinary experiance?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; January 19th, 2011 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Admiral

I've posted this many times on the cm boards . I am on a gluten free diet .My physicians believe that if I take my prescribed medication I can ,at times ,eat whatever I desire except for dairy and chocolate .Whenever I am on a land or sea cruise I do exactly that and I've never had a problem.
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Captain

My problem is Diabetic and I had read, many time, on the carnival cruise site that if a person has any dietary needs to let Carnival know ahead. I asked my T/A about this and she checked into it and said that Carnival told her that they do not have special menu's for diabetic people.

Since that cruise in December I have begun a 60 carb per meal diet to keep my sugar low. The diet has worked very well and I was wondering if we could get the cruise lines somehow to have a list of Calorie and Carb counts to help those who are dieting or have diabetic problems like me?

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old January 18th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Admiral

For me, on the cruise I asked for salt free...in the dining room, they could not help me the 1st night, and, I was told..tomorrow we will begin...at that point, to try and prevent swelling in the ankles, it was too late....the line was advised with plenty of notice.

Henry, often times, someone gets an idea in their head, as obviously this non cruiser had, and, that is that.. end of story.I said a bit of research and a phone call could eleviate the worry, as I had no idea of what is available..

Old January 18th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Admiral

I have allergies/intolerance of eggs,seafood and nuts. In addition eating salads can exacerbate my gerd problem.

To be honest I never advise the cruise line or any tour operator of this as I am well practised in selecting from a menu what I can eat. I never have had any issues but I put that down to my allergies being mild.

Annie
Old January 18th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Admiral

have never had a problem as long as we informed the cruise line ahead of time, went to talk to the Maitre D on the first day, and also informed the lead waiter on our team, and if he didn't know, he went to find out, and by the second night he made suggestions on the menu- (this was on Princess)
Old January 18th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I was speaking with someone last week, who has a friend, that won't cruise because she has a gluten allergy. She felt it would be too hard to get foods she can enjoy.. I honestly could not address this for her..except....

I know once, when I asked for salt free, I had some issues,and gave up.

So I am wondering, for those of you with special dietary needs, how were your requests handled? Has every line you cruised stepped up to the plate, to help you have a good culinary experiance?
My brother in law has a gluten allergy . They cruise and he doesn't have

a problem . He lets the cruise line know and the head chef comes to their

table with next days dinner menu and BIL selects the meal he wants. They

then prepare as required. This is on Holland America.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old January 18th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Admiral

I am going to pass along the good gluten news.....will be interesting to see if they book a cruise, with this knowledge. Thanks!

Old January 18th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Default Dietary needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
have never had a problem as long as we informed the cruise line ahead of time, went to talk to the Maitre D on the first day, and also informed the lead waiter on our team, and if he didn't know, he went to find out, and by the second night he made suggestions on the menu- (this was on Princess)
Here are all the key points:

Inform the cruise line well in advance.

Talk to the maitre d' AS SOON AS YOU BOARD -- he is usually available.

Talk to your waiter as soon as you sit down.

BUT -- YOU are the one responsible for making sensible choices. There will probably be things on the menu that you can eat. There probably will not be special dishes cooked just for you every night to your order. There may be some things that you are not sure about and can pass on for safety's sake.

Only you and your doctor know how serious your condition is and how strictly you have to adhere to your diet. It is all up to YOU.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old January 18th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Default Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
For me, on the cruise I asked for salt free...in the dining room, they could not help me the 1st night, and, I was told..tomorrow we will begin...at that point, to try and prevent swelling in the ankles, it was too late....the line was advised with plenty of notice.

Henry, often times, someone gets an idea in their head, as obviously this non cruiser had, and, that is that.. end of story.I said a bit of research and a phone call could eleviate the worry, as I had no idea of what is available..

I believe people should discuss the matter with their doctors,always.
Closed Thread