Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Wining and dining,at a price...$

What was your favorite, hands down winner, for your best ever alternative dining experience?

How about the one you said...I wish I had saved my money.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:51 PM
Admiral

We always save our money by eating in the MDR
Old January 22nd, 2011, 10:12 PM
Admiral

My favorite in a specialty restaurant has been Tournedos Rossini [sp]. A nice rare filet with foie gras and truffles. My new favorite at the steakhouse on Regent is king crab legs for appetizer followed by a nice New York Strip accompanied by a couple of lobster tails; all wonderful.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 22nd, 2011, 11:08 PM
First Mate

Default Not yet

Have not tried yet though Celebrity has interested us but one has to book almost the first day on board
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:06 AM
Admiral

I have not yet been convinced to try an alternate dining venue. Although i did once purchase a milkshake at Johnny Rockets.

DH and I pretty cheap. I'm not sure if I am cheap by nature (probably am) or if DH made me this way! I think if I had a husband who was a splurger .... I could be convinced!

However, WE are of the mindset, that we've paid for certain inclusions so why not just enjoy what is free. We're not big on the upsell. Yes, I know you get a 4* dinner for very little money ..... but still.

I remember in our early days of cruising, at least for lunch and dinner, we would dine in both the MDR and the Lido. This goes back to the days when the MDR was always open for lunch, even on port days! Right after breakfast, always in the MDR ... we would go check out the lunch and dinner menus for the day. We'd have lunch in the MDR ... then go to the Lido to see if there was anything good there. We'd do the same thing at dinner.

Yeah, we like to get our money's worth.

I remember on Voyageur of the Seas, there was a cafe on the promenade, where I could always go to get a coffee (I think they had pizza and pastries too), and then I would sit and play the video slots off the side ....I don't remember EVER paying for those coffees. Do any of the ships still offer free coffee, other than at the lido?

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Still the best, "Ocean Liners" On Celebrity Constellation, close 2nd Tuscan Grill on Celebrity Eclipse. I think they are all worth a try, depends what you want, some just want something to eat, some want to have dinner....
Old January 23rd, 2011, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Wink Almost agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Still the best, "Ocean Liners" On Celebrity Constellation, close 2nd Tuscan Grill on Celebrity Eclipse. I think they are all worth a try, depends what you want, some just want something to eat, some want to have dinner....
Absolutely agree about the Ocean Liners.. but disagree vehemently about the Tuscan Grill on the Celebrity Soltice, worst expenditure of $$.. Le Bistro on the NCL Gem was worth two visits...atmosphere,food and service. Pleasant surprise on the Equinox was the cafe where they served crepes and salad for $5.00....pleasant and quiet atmosphere, food exceptionally good.. I had a panni that would feed four people and they went out of their way to find anchovies for PP salad...
Old January 23rd, 2011, 12:54 PM
Admiral

We had a great meal in a good atmosphere in Tuscan on Eclipse, agree the Bistro on 5 was good for the crepes.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Talking Alternative dining

Well, we tend to be of the theory that the Dining Room food is so good we don't need the alternative dining.

But on one Princess trip somebody gave us dinner at Sabatini's as a gift so we tried it. We studied the menu before hand and it is very extensive. But when our waiter came to the table, he said, "Just pick out your entree. We bring you ALL of the rest!"

So for the next two hours we worked our way through a constant parade of platters of food. Appetizers from proscuitto to pickled mushrooms; cheeses of many different styles; pizza of four different kinds; salads with a little bit of everything from artichoke to goat cheese; pastas to die for, spaghetti to ravioli; then the main course of choice (mine was the seafood grille); and finally the dessert tray!

It truly is an amazing experience!

Here is a sample sabatini's menu ...

Sapphire Princess Anytime Dining

We also occasionally eat at the Pinnacle Grill on HAL. DW loves the steaks and I can get my lobster. It is simply an upgraded restaurant from the MDR and not such a unique experience as Sabatini's.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:10 PM
Admiral

It is the experience more than the food really, not many of us go to places like this "In the real world"