Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default All-inclusive Lux Cruising - get your money's worth?

When you pony up for an all-inclusive cruise, like Seabourn, Regent or Siversea, do you believe you get your money's worth (the amount of cruise experience you pre-paid for with the higher cruise fare?).

I mean - you prepay for alcohol, water. soda, gratuities, - possibly shore excursions, airfare, hotels, shuttles. etc...

All of that was built into the cruise fare by the cruise line. Now, if you had paid individually for everything you personally consume during that cruise, do you think it would have cost you more, less or about the same?

I don't want to sway anyone, but the truth is that luxury cruise fares are still at historic lows.

Also - if you don't really feel you "get your money's worth" does that matter to you? Or is that NOT THE REASON why you pick a luxury cruise line?
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Admiral

A resounding yes!!!

Do I use all that is available; no. But I do quite well.

I definitely prefer the larger cabin/suite. When we were just on Mariner with 265 sq ft cabins we felt a little cramped; I definitely wouldn't want to go smaller. I like large showers. I like having plenty of room to store stuff and like using my balcony.

I like the higher quality ingredients. It was interesting reading about Disney dream because Victoria and Alberts is one of our favorite land based restaurants. On Regent I feel I can eat that quality of food (whether French, Italian, Steakhouse, or Continental) every day of my cruise without paying more.

I love wine with dinner, scotch before dinner, and a cognac, calvados, or armagnac after dinner. I like sitting with friends without the awkward situation of trying to remember whose turn it is to buy a round. I like my banana daiquiris by the pool or while playing cards.

I like all the lectures, special entertainment, trivia, and other games to keep the mind sharp. I like bocce and croquet. There is plenty to do on luxury lines even though ships are smaller.

I like seeing the same crew year after year. I like seeing them promoted each time. I like being called by my first name.

I like country club casual. I will wear a sports coat most times for dinner but it is nice to know I never have to put on a tie.

I like having a staff of 450 for a max of 700 guests.

I like having 49,000 GRT Mariner or 42,000 GRT Voyager for less than 700 guests.

Bottom Line: I definitely get my money's worth

PS On one of my first Regent cruises, a fellow cruiser made a very apropos statement - Regent makes you feel like you have a million bucks even when you don't.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14