Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default What has gotten better in cruising?

Linda brought up the fact that Princess used to charge for ice cream (but it was haagen Dazs!).

So, I was thinking that ice cream is one thing that has definitely gotten better on ships. Is this a small thing? By NO MEANS!!!!

Ice cream is a big part of life, especially on vacation. Grocery stores will tell you that after 98:00 pm they sell more ice cream than anything.

So- these ships have excellent FREE ice cream. I mean at least several choices of flavors, free toppings, hand scooped and NO charge!

Disney Cruise Lines - several flavors, hard or soft serve, sliced almonds, coconut and chocolate sauce.

Norwegian Epic (I dont know about other NCL) - several flavors - hand scooped, several free toppings, several sauces.

Azamara - hard & soft, several flavors, hand scooped, several toppings

Holland America - hand scooped, several flavors and FRESH BAKED COOKIES.

Who else is in this league (free and better?) that you notice has gotten better and MORE AVAILABLE on cruises lately?

How about - flat panel TVs, more modern and diverse entertainment, more food choices, better kids programs, ... give me YOUR ideas on what you now appreciate more than ever?
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Admiral

the price?

My cruising experience is mostly to the last 10 years .... so I see more cutbacks than anything.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Admiral

No free nice cream on P&O, just branded things in packets, they come round ..''ice cream sir?" if you say yes you get a bill...
New things ..bigger ships with more to do. Modern downside to me is more people cruising who don't really understand it, they book online & don't know nor care about the way things are done on a cruise..as in behaviour & dress sense.
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

JohntheDog

Quote:
Modern downside to me is more people cruising who don't really understand it, they book online & don't know nor care about the way things are done on a cruise..as in behaviour & dress sense.
I see this as a symptom of society in general. It is just that average American society is now booking cruises. It was bound to happen sooner or later. And by the way, even Europeans have slipped - but they refer to it as becoming "Americanized."

You are already a lux cruiser, mainly, right? Boy, things are pretty bad when one is complaining about the level of social awareness on Seabourn
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Paul,
We mostly cruise with P&O, mainly due to the sheer number of cruises departing from Southampton...easy. We like Celebrity better but with just Eclipse leaving from Southampton there isn't the choice. ''Social awareness'' what lovely expression & so accurate!
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Shore excursions .They were not available on my first 2 cruises .
Old January 26th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Going a little off topic here ... but I see people comment on the lack of social awareness on a cruise ship .... but it is true for society in general. In terms of dress code .... jeans in the workplace ..... flip flops at church ....

I know my DH used to have dress-up for work, suit and tie every day .... the last thing he wanted to do on a holiday was dress-up. Now that he is "casual" at work ... he looks forward to dressing up on a cruise.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 26th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

The cruise fare is much better. Much better value.

May also be the reason for other things mentioned.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Administrator
Admiral

This relates to the nickel & diming thread - do people not realize that the only reason for lower cruise fares is so cruise lines can compete on price - but that they have to make up for the lower fare somehow - like by charging for more things onboard?

Cruise fares are still at about 1990 levels - just plain cheap, but a drink certainly costs more now.

But what has gotten better? Certainly entertainment has gotten a lot better on cruise ships in the last 5 years.

What about the number of food options onboard? Don't you think all cruise lines generally have a better variety of cuisine onboard?