CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Alternate Restaurants Onboard Are In Demand (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/380293-alternate-restaurants-onboard-demand.html)

Kuki February 9th, 2011 11:46 AM

Alternate Restaurants Onboard Are In Demand

My Blog, appearing on our Home Page today, talks about this

Cruisemates Blog Alternate Restaurants Onboard Are In Demand – Kuki

You pro alternate restaurant? You stick to the dining room? Or do you prefer casual dinners at the buffet?

MrPete February 9th, 2011 12:09 PM

Well, since the downgrade of the MDR quality, it's no wonder.

Lakers Fan February 9th, 2011 12:13 PM

MDR

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeteLI (Post 1350866)
Well, since the downgrade of the MDR quality, it's no wonder.

IMHO ,the MDR's are excellent quality

MrPete February 9th, 2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1350868)

You must be from the south shore. :wink:

Lakers Fan February 9th, 2011 12:32 PM

South Shore

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeteLI (Post 1350869)
You must be from the south shore. :wink:

Hello Kreskin ,nice to see you here :D

Marc February 9th, 2011 01:19 PM

Kuki, I am surprised your article didn't mention your visit to Signatures on Seven Seas Voyager; after all, it was first (ok, Mariner was first) restaurant set up under auspices of Cordon Bleu.

nlb1050 February 9th, 2011 01:25 PM

MDR for dinner. Usualy buffet for breakfast and lunch. We do not beleive in paying extra for dinner on any ship so don't do it.

Kuki February 9th, 2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 1350909)
Kuki, I am surprised your article didn't mention your visit to Signatures on Seven Seas Voyager; after all, it was first (ok, Mariner was first) restaurant set up under auspices of Cordon Bleu.

I didn't mention any specific specialty or alternate dining by name. Once I started, there's so many, the article could have turned into a book.

The Blog was to discuss the generalities of the pheonomena.

Donna February 9th, 2011 05:24 PM

I enjoy mixing it up and playing it day by day. It is nice to have so many options, either comp or paying a bit extra. We rarely hear any disappointment from the extra pay venues onboard, so I would think they are worth it to some..

As kuki's article shows, there is the demand there, so the reason most ships today have them.

johnthed0g February 9th, 2011 06:20 PM

Some people are violently against these places, they really hate them. I think that some don't appreciate them or understand the difference. The usual comment is why pay more money when the food is free, another involves the snobbery angle, like with cabins, people imagining what isn't there.

Trip February 9th, 2011 08:58 PM

Kuki, do you remember our group lunch on the Grand at Sabatini's? That was my 1st foray with alternative dining....think the cost was $5.00 pp.

Times have changed..remember the wonderful service at Murano's? Night and day...price wise too:)

am588 February 9th, 2011 10:03 PM

Alternative dining is interesting. I remember on my first cruise with RCCL, the "alternative" Johnny Rockets dining, and believing it was worth it (looking back, not sure if their burgers differ much more than regular burgers on the ship, but it's been quite a few years).

Recently on the Carnival Liberty, I went to their alternate dining, Harry's. $30/pp charge for a 5 course meal.

The food? Not much different than the main dining. I had the filet mignon, which was HUGE. The next night in the main dining, they had the same thing (smaller) but same quality. To me, the large filet was way too much, especially with all the courses.

The biggest difference to me was the service. At Harry's, they made the salads and such in front of you, and the staff was very attentive. In the main dining, we had mixed service (we had your time dining and sat with the same server most of the time, except for the last night), so that was a benefit. Was it worth it though? I'm not too interested in going back. It's also interesting that with Harry's, all throughout the cruise they were advertising if you booked with Harry's on certain nights, you would receive a complimentary bottle of wine with your dinner. It seemed like not many people on the ship were interested in alternate dining (when we were there there were 5 other couples, one of which fought with the server and left before their first course)

If I were to do alternate dining again, I'd like to see something different than what I could order in the main dining. Maybe a hibachi or a mexican cuisine; just something other than a typical steakhouse.

MercedMike February 10th, 2011 11:46 AM

Dining

Well, IMAO (In My Arrogant Opinion ... I don't have Humble opinions) the food in the Main Dining Rooms has remained consistently high in quality. We have really seen very little slippage. There are two big exceptions, lobster and caviar. Aside from that we are very happy still with MDR food and would rarely visit an alternative restaurant.

The biggest exception is Sabatini's on Princess! This not just dining, it is an experience! So we do make a reservation there every trip.

My wife is also a fan of the Pinnacle Grill on HAL , me not so much.

Queen of Oakville February 11th, 2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1350868)

but Henry, don't you mostly cruise luxury lines? (or is that Marc?).

IMHO, the MDR food is declining. But I still can't see myself partaking in the $$$ restaurants. I'm a value cruiser, so I won't forego what's included in my fare.

Queen of Oakville February 11th, 2011 10:12 AM

For those that are happy with the MDR options ... i would be curious to know what lines you base this opinion on.

Carnival has probably held its own over the years in the MDR .... but Royal, has gone way down. It's been years since I cruised Princess so I can't comment on their MDR. Really looking forward to the MDR on HAL.