Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Returning to Egypt.....

It seems like,for the near future anyway, the cruise lines have pulled Egypt off their itineraries. If say for example, the cruise lines decided to go back in the summer or fall, what are your thoughts about cruising to Egypt?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Admiral

I have holidayed twice in Egypt and several times in the Middle East.

That whole area is 'off limits' IMHO for at least the rest of the year.

The vandalism in the Cairo Museum really upset me.

Annie
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Admiral

Me too Annie! I'd be giving Egypt a miss this year. Anywhere in the Middle East actually right now. It'll be interesting to see when the 2012 schedules come out if there are as many Holy Land cruises as normal.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Annie, I saw on the news that, the damage at the musuem, is worse then first thought

Old February 16th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Admiral

A news reporter was physically assaulted on Monday .
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Thumbs up Cruising to Egypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
It seems like,for the near future anyway, the cruise lines have pulled Egypt off their itineraries. If say for example, the cruise lines decided to go back in the summer or fall, what are your thoughts about cruising to Egypt?
Cruising to Egypt is wonderful. Combine it with the Holy Land and it is an experience never to be forgotten.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/holyland2.html

I certainly hope that Egypt will settle down soon and when the cruise lines determine that it is a safe place to travel the cruises will be resumed. When they do, I thoroughly recommend it!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old February 16th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Admiral

Default Egypt/holyland cruise

We did the Holyland cruise on the Equinox in October and spent an overnight in Alexandria with a trip to see the Pyramids and the Sphinx in Cairo.. In my review I said that for a world class city I have never ever seen such a filthy city as Alexandria and Cairo (at least the parts we were taken to).. and I'm talking about vacationing not on a cruise where we have spent time in Colombia, Venezuela, the Amazon, Peru , Costa Rica.... Our next stop was to Israel where the atmosphere stood in stark contrast to the filth we saw in Egypt. In Egypt we saw garbage in the canals, the streets, unfinished buildings, traffic jams like I had never ever seen before, overturned trucks, people walking inbetween.. Celebrity is advertising that in the summer/fall they will be doing a 12 day Holyland cruise,ours was 13 days. Never in my life had I dreamed of seeing the Pyramids or the Sphinx but I would NEVER, EVER go back to Egypt and I'm sure many of you will disagree but that is my opinion and I'll stick to it.
Old February 17th, 2011, 03:06 AM
Admiral

Where are the cruiselines going to send the vessels that were scheduled for Egypt?

The Med is not that big! Even more vessels in the Greek Islands? Please no!

Tourism in Cyprus will also be affected. Many Europeans sailed to Israel/Egypt from there on a 'weekend' cruise.

I think I will stick with my beloved Italy this year - well that is what I am telling you guys - back to my hidden Europe - not easily accessible by cruise line!

Annie
Old February 17th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Admiral

Honestly, I do not see the travel warnings being lifted until next year sometime. Egypt is essentially under martial law for the moment and is in an anarchic state that radical muslim sects may attempt to capitalize on, so a year minimum is a fairly conservative estimate. All travel agents who deal with Egypt itineraries, myself included, are keeping up with developments and how they affect our clients.
Old February 17th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
I have holidayed twice in Egypt and several times in the Middle East.

That whole area is 'off limits' IMHO for at least the rest of the year.

The vandalism in the Cairo Museum really upset me.

Annie
Being that I have a background in Archaeology(and a particular love of Egyptology), this is very upsetting to me as well. Hopefully, once the artifacts hit the antiquities black market, they will be recovered either through the actions of law enforcement or through private citizens. Unfortunately, many antiquities collectors with substantial amounts of wealth do not return the items they acquire on the black market to their rightful owners, even though such purchases are illegal.
Old February 17th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Unhappy Poverty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
In Egypt we saw garbage in the canals, the streets, unfinished buildings, traffic jams like I had never ever seen before, overturned trucks, people walking inbetween.. Celebrity is advertising that in the summer/fall they will be doing a 12 day Holyland cruise,ours was 13 days. Never in my life had I dreamed of seeing the Pyramids or the Sphinx but I would NEVER, EVER go back to Egypt and I'm sure many of you will disagree but that is my opinion and I'll stick to it.
My goodness, never heard of poverty before?

We walked through donkey poop in the souks of Morocco, saw dirty children playing in filthy water along the Amazon, gave a dollar to a kid living in a shack with a frond roof because he showed us a chameleon on Madagascar, and quite frankly saw garbage piled in alleys in Barcelona. In fact we have piles of filth in the homeless camp under the bridge in our home town. Cairo was no worse or better than any other poverty stricken country.

And as for traffic jams, have you seen the illegal immigrants running across the freeways in Southern California dodging between stuck cars?

Old February 17th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Default Poverty

Yes, I have Mike seen children in villages in the Amazon playing in dirty water, poverty in Venezuela from a dugout canoe, Lima Peru and many of the other South American countries we have visited, but I repeat NEVER, EVER anything like Egypt..We are talking about a world class city.
Old February 17th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Since when was Cairo a world class city? Barcelona - maybe.

Hey I could well be wrong but let's hear what Cairo has that makes it world class.

All major cities have areas which are not easy on the eye.

Annie
Old February 19th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Since when was Cairo a world class city? Barcelona - maybe.

Hey I could well be wrong but let's hear what Cairo has that makes it world class.

All major cities have areas which are not easy on the eye.

Annie
Well, there is certainly the world class historical and cultural sites, and one must also remember that the first organized medical system was invented in Ancient Egypt, though certainly refined by the Greeks and Romans. We owe the Egyptian people a great deal of our western cultures. All civilizations do eventually fall though, especially great empires, just as the United States will eventually fall. It is the nature of the beast unfortunately. I do commend what they accomplished recently. It is an amazing feat and has in fact rallied the rest of the Middle East to overthrow tyrants. Ultimately the point of whether American tourism returns to Egypt depends on whether radical Islamists come to power or a more tolerant(and more Egyptian...Egyptians, and mainstream Muslims(the moderates) as a whole, are known for their hospitality, something Americans could learn from) government takes hold.
Old February 19th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Familiar Face

The anticipation of seeing the sphinx and pyramids was more impressive than the area itself. (KFC is about 100 yards away from the sphinx) The drive from alexandria to cairo was over 3.5 hours, garbage (canals literally filled with garbage), poverty, rubble, dirt, the thieves, etc... . If I knew then what I know now we would not have booked that cruise, it was not worth it.
Old February 20th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by commission1 View Post
The anticipation of seeing the sphinx and pyramids was more impressive than the area itself. (KFC is about 100 yards away from the sphinx) The drive from alexandria to cairo was over 3.5 hours, garbage (canals literally filled with garbage), poverty, rubble, dirt, the thieves, etc... . If I knew then what I know now we would not have booked that cruise, it was not worth it.
Thank you - I could never rationalise why folks would travel from Alexandria to Cairo - I certainly wouldn't. OK easy for me I have seen the sights. IMHO the best ancient sights are located at Abu Simbel and Luxor.

The location of the KFC saddens me.

I know for many people esp NA that a cruise is the easiest way to access Egypt - but honest folks I don't know if it is worth it. There are pyramids located elsewhere in the world.

Annie
Old February 20th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I enjoyed the drive to and from Alexandria to Cairo. We did a stop at a farm that was a couple of miles off the highway. We also took a look at a "pigeon farm" and saw how they raised the "squab" that is consumed in large quantities in Egypt. I consumed it and it was delicious.

The traffic in Cairo is terrible and the drivers are just this side of insane and the smog can be pretty bad but I just took it all in and enjoyed seeing how they lived. Yes, there were areas that had a lot of garbage and less than desireable areas but just about every large city does. We stayed at the Sofitel, near the pyramids, and were easy walking distance to some nice cafes and markets. The Cairo museum was extremely interesting and the light show at the Sphinx was a tad corny but fun. Especially since we timed it perfectly and the moon was a perfect crescent and directly over the Great Pyramid at the end of the show. A very neat sight. Climbing the narrow passage into the burial chamber of the Great Pyramid was fun but there wasn't much inside except the empty burial crypt. I had read that there wasn't much inside but just being in there was worth it.

I believe if you don't go to a place believing the tourist photos and accept what you see you will have a much better time.

I would go back again to see more.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Talking Excursion review

Quote:
Or -- the same excursion could have been reviewed this way:

"It is about 3 1/2 hours drive from the port to the ship. There are many interesting sights to see along the way. At one point we were actually able to see ships on the Suez Canal. We passed clean neat farmhouses with fascinating pigeon roosts in the yard. We saw local mosques and also some interesting scenery. Our guide gave us much useful information as we drove.

"Arriving at the pyramids was a stunning experience and our eyes were focused on those magnificent constructions. It is almost possible to forget the modern surroundings and imagine yourself in the crowd at a Pharoah's funeral. There are few places like it in the world.

"Traffic in Cairo was very dense but our driver negotiated it with ease. Driving from place to place our guide continued to provide lots of information to keep us interested.

"All in all, this excursion is one of the best we have ever taken! Add to Egypt the possibility of visiting the Holy Land also, and this is a wonderful cruise and well worth the trip!"

check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/holyland2.html

Same city -- same desert -- same 3 1/2 hour drive -- same attractions -- but very different impressions. Our eyes were focused on the history and the scenery, not on the garbage in the canals. It is mostly just a matter of attitude, I guess ...

Old February 20th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Familiar Face

"It is mostly just a matter of attitude, I guess ..." Nope you guessed wrong, just a different opinion of what you saw and experienced to what I saw and experienced (especially at the pyramids where the police tried to steal my camera, and where a tshirt vendor tried to say I took a tshirt and did not pay). If you loved Egypt that is great, I would never mock or make lite of someone's experience, all I did was communicate mine so that others can make informed decisions with their disposable income. I am glad that you loved egypt, I wish I did. It seems that many who live there did not like there own country either, if they liked the way things were they would have never started a revolution. Just a matter of opinion not attitude, somePeople thing George Bush was the worst President of all time, some the greatest. As long as facts are presented that is all that matters, people can make informed decisions with facts.

Last edited by commission1; February 20th, 2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old February 20th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have to agree with Parrot Mom and commission1. I have travelled quite extensively and have also never seen such filth as we saw in Egypt. I am gald we saw the pyramids and the Sphinx, but probably wouldnt go back......then again twist my arm and I'll go anywhere! Back to the topic of this thread though...its interesting to see people are "thinking" that the Middle East problems are likely to stop tourism until possibly next year! Suppose I am an optimist....I was "thinking"...oh well they will throw a few fireworks at each other and it will all be over next week....or the one after....maybe not. Bugger (aussie expression ) we have a cruise in September and will be travelling through Egypt, Suez, Israel, Jordan, Oman, UAE...the cruise starts in the UK and ends in Singapore.....wonder if the middle part will be a "surprise"!!

Seabourn Pride...Dover to Singapore...88 Days....Sept 17 2011
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Granny Lorr

I would be very surprised if your itinerary did not alter. JMHO, I think we have an interesting summer ahead.

Annie
Old February 20th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

I really dont mind where they take us Annie, just as long as they TAKE us somewhere! We have already been to all those Middle Eastern places anyway so I am happy with a "surprise".......

Seabourn Pride...Dover to Singapore...88 Days....Sept 17 2011
Old February 21st, 2011, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Default opinions and attitudes ...

Quote:
"It is mostly just a matter of attitude, I guess ..." Nope you guessed wrong, just a different opinion of what you saw and experienced to what I saw and experienced ...
Woa -- you are absolutely right. Sorry if the word I chose didn't set well. I said impressions and attitude, you say opinion and experience ... all amounts to the same thing. Different people see things in different ways.

No offense meant. Thanks for posting your opinions. We are having a good discussion here.

Old February 21st, 2011, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Unhappy Egypt

It appears that Princess has cancelled their Egypt port calls for now. I would suppose most cruise lines are doing the same. That is a great shame.

Old February 21st, 2011, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Default Poverty

Many years ago in a dugout canoe ride through either Venezuela or Colombia I saw shacks along what I think were mangroves that were nothing but three sided sheds.. We had young children from that village bailing out the canoes...The comment was that "that's the way they like to live"...We tourists were embarassed to be going through this area looking at them...our lunches were given to the boys bailing us out and I can never forget the sight of these shacks along the water.. Even in the San Blas Islands years and years ago with no electricity or running water the areas we wandered around were cleaner than what we passed in Cairo and Alexandria. Frankly, I don't think the area is going to be safe for a long time.. Morocco is having riots now..a few years ago there was a problem and the ships stopped going... they will do the same thing.. it's your safety.. The only democracy in the Middle-East is Israel and it was like a breath of fresh air...then again no smog or pollution like in Egypt.
Old February 21st, 2011, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
It appears that Princess has cancelled their Egypt port calls for now. I would suppose most cruise lines are doing the same. That is a great shame.
Mike that was coming down the track. They had to do that IMHO.

I think the cancellation period will be a fairly lengthy one.

Annie
Old February 21st, 2011, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Others will follow I bet,if they had any plans to shoot in Egypt..at least for a while...

News - TV Shows Pulling Out Of Egypt - InsideEdition.com

Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Tourism in Egypt

Quote:
Mike that was coming down the track. They had to do that IMHO.

I think the cancellation period will be a fairly lengthy one.

Annie
Any government of Egypt -- democratic, military, Muslim or whatever, has to recognize that tourism is a major sector of their economy. I have no doubt that stabilization of tourism will be a major thrust of any actions. So hopefully it will be sooner rather than later that the tourist business can be resumed. Actually probably the best thing they could do is put that charismatic guy Hawass, Director of Antiquities, in as president ... !

Old February 24th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Welcome Newcomer

My husband and I are booked on Regent's cruise to Egypt, Israel, Turkey, etc. that departs on June 16. Their latest communication is that this itinerary is still a go. I'm not really concerned about trouble in the areas we are planning to visit. Their economies depend on tourism, so I feel that by the end of June, all will be well. I'm more worried about the pre hotel stay in the departing port of Athens.
Old February 24th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

That's right, I just wrote this piece about the late May Regent cruise:

We have already reported on the cancellation of a number of cruises to North African destinations like Tunis and Egypt. Some cruise lines have already changed all of their planned stops in Egypt for the rest of 2011.

But just yesterday I received a press release from Regent Seven Seas about a cruise scheduled to sail around the Arabian Peninsula, starting this coming May 4. The itinerary begins in Dubai and heads for Port Qaboos, the port for Muscat in Oman. It then sails to Salalah, also in Oman. The cruise will proceed along the coast of Yemen in what the line describes as "leisurely days along the Gulf of Aden" before it lands in Safaga, Egypt, followed by Aqaba Jordan, Sharm el Sheik Egypt, transiting the Suez Canal, visiting both Tel Aviv and Haifa in Israel and then finally landing in Rome.

Now, don't get me wrong; I am more than happy to see this particular itinerary and I truly hope it works out. But the fact is that most cruise lines are currently canceling cruises to Egypt, and we just had another pirate incident not far from the Gulf of Aden. That makes this cruise a leap of faith, if you will, that everything in the Middle East will turn out fine sooner than many people expect.

In all honesty, no one knows what is going to happen next. But it is common cruise line policy to err on the side of caution, so I was just a bit surprised to see this itinerary not only on the schedule, but being promoted as a special cruise featuring several NPR personalities like Charlie Cook, Ari Shapiro, Jacki Lyden and Bill O'Leary. Also along for the ride are British actor Michael York and renowned animal lover Jack Hanna.

Needless to say, a lot of planning has already gone into this cruise and I know they don't want any of that planning to go awry. I contacted Regent to ask if they were concerned about the political strife in the area and they assured me they are monitoring events in the area "very closely." If you have a real spirit of adventure, this could be the perfect cruise for you.

I was just saying to friend of mine how fortunate I feel to have already seen Egypt and Petra, near Aqaba Jordan, before all of this uncertainty cropped up. And if I were to choose a single itinerary to see these amazing sites this would be it. It has some of the most amazing sights in the world on the docket; Luxor Egypt, Petra in Jordan, the pyramids and Sphinx in Giza, the ancient city of Jerusalem, the Sea of Galilee and the Dead Sea areas of Israel. Each of these destinations has given me some of my most memorable travel experiences ever. The wild card is that we don't know if this cruise represents the continuation of access to such exciting ports, or possibly one of the last opportunities to see them. I truly wish it well.