Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default The best cruise for a 20 year old?

My dad and I are planning on going on a cruise this summer. We were looking at a variety of options. There were a few that caught our eye, but we've hit a minor snag: I'm 20. Here are some of the things I was looking for:

- A room of my own
- To be able to drink
- To be with people my age
- To have fun activities for my dad and I to do together

From what I can tell, most cruise lines require you to be 21 years old for the first two points. Now, those aren't requirements. I don't need a drink to enjoy myself (I'll be on a cruise for goodness sake). However, it would be nice to have my privacy when I need it, to be able to drink on special occasions.

What I'm really looking for is to hang out with people that are my age. I find myself constantly in environments of people that are kids or adults, and not 20 years old. It would nice just to chill with people my age for once.

Finally, I'd like to go on a cruise were I can do things with dad. Unfortunately, in that aspect, we're rather different. I'm usually up for exciting activities (Jet Skis, Paragliding, etc) while dad enjoys the exploring activities (boat tours, scubba diving). We can probably make compromises here though. I think I'd enjoy the cruise line's activities in itself.

Some of the cruise lines we were looking into were the following:

Norwegian Epic, unsure of location
Royal Caribbean: Liberty of the Seas, from Barcelona (I'm allowed to drink on this line!)
Carnival of some sort

Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Honestly, when it comes to cruising, I think 20 yr olds are in a bit of a "lost area". There are no activities clearly aimed at your age group. You can go to the clubs onboard, but can't drink.

You are likely to find some others in the same situation as you, and have some people to hang with. But.. probably not a huge group.

You could get your own cabin onboard since your father will be onboard, but it would be costly to pay single supplements for both of you.

A cruise to Europe, like the RCI cruise you mentioned, might work very well because those itineraries are very port intensive, with lots of incredible sights to see. You wouldn't really have time to worry about all your other concerns; you'd be having to much fun together seeing the ports.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I agree with the Liberty would be the best bet....Great ship...Amazing ports, less ship time,and you would be able to drink..More tour orientated, you will have less water associated excursions, so your Father may be happier, but the experience for the two of you, will be priceless.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 17th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

AIDA - there is relativelly many young people.
Nice young animation troop.

You can drink any alkohol if you are min. 18 year old.

You can be in disco from 0 till 5 am with young German boys and girls,
99% of them speaks perfect english.

Great Sauna om Aida, realy great, with a sea view .
Old February 17th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Nova, at your age you are kind of in cruise ship limbo, too old for teen activities, yet old enough to go to the clubs but not be able to drink onboard. Most young adults opt to cruise the Caribbean, something to consider seeing that you said you wanted to be able to hang out with people close to your own age. As for your stateroom, single supplements are very costly. I would look into a southern Caribbean itineary on one of the Freedom class ships of Royal Caribbean
Old February 17th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for your responses guys. Liberty of the Seas is looking promising. Another ship my dad suggested was The Princess Caribbean, which has a trip from New York this May. The advantage is I'd have my own room.

I figured I was in age limbo. I always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Nonetheless, time is marching on, and it's something we'd like to do this summer. I can go anytime after April. So, out of the previous mentioned and Princess Caribbean, what would you suggest? Or would your opinion still be with the Liberty of the Seas?

Oddly enough, I think the Princess must have been a ship I've been on before, as they recognized my name. Apparently, we might get a few freebies because of that. Or that's what dad says. >_>
Old February 18th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Welcome Newcomer

So we've decided on Liberty of the Seas! I can drink, have my own room, and it seems like a great ship too.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old February 18th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

That's wonderful~ I hope you both have a ball, & you will have to come back and share it all with us!!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 18th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

>> I can drink

congratulations !

As You know, red wine is very, very good for health .
And why one need the health ?
Right !
to be able to drink Vodka !