Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Default Cruising the Baltics

What is so interesting about the Baltics? What countries does it involve? What do you see?
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Administrator
Admiral

A Baltic Sea cruise is one of the most interesting European cruises I've taken.

You will see old world countries such as: Denmark, Sweden, Russia, Finland, Germany, Estonia, Latvia, etc.

St. Petersburg, Russia is a beautiful city with wonderful museums such as The Hermitage (I wish I could have spent two days there) and Catherine's Palace at Peterhoff and other sights. I loved Talinn, Estonia and the old city. A wonderful, old world city that was nice to just walk around. Just the sights going in and out of Stockholm are beautiful. You would think you are on an Inside Passage tour without with all the little islands and greenery. Some people have written that Rostock is a boring port in Germany but you need to get away from the port. You can visit the countryside, town square area or the full day excursion to Berlin.

I think you will enjoy this if you are interested in ports and Northern European history.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 20th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

Denmark - Copenhagen is great city - to see The Little Mermaid (naked)
Estonia - Tallin very small but great restavrated old town (they say 15-16 century - is not true of cource)
Finland - Helsinlki the most boring capital in the word. to see: nothing.

Germany - Berlin to see : German old small cities

Latvia - Riga great 19 sentury architecture

Norway - Oslo - the secont most boring capital in the word - to see - nobel prize saal,

Poland - Gdansk restavrated old town (very small part) to see - nice pole girls.

Russia - St. Petersburg - great town an old capital of Russian Empire to see : Everything.

Sweden - Stockholm - the 3 most boring capital in the word - To see : Kon-Tiki
muesum and taxi drivers.
Old February 20th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Ok Sergei, in your opinion what is most boring city no 4 and 5? I am surprised at Stockholm though.

Annie
Old February 20th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

4. most boring big cities are Chicago and Boston

and the 5. most boring big city is New York - but you can eat there the whole day
not really healthy stuff or make a helicopter tour.

OK the bouth towns are not in Baltic.
Old February 20th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Admiral

I'll second the opinion that St Petersburg is a fantastic city; try to take a cruise that stops there for three days.

I strongly disagree with Sergei about a couple of the other cities. Oslo is fantastic. They have the best WWII resistance museum in Europe. The rest of the city is also beautiful. Only criticism of Oslo, and rest of Norway, is that alcohol is too expensive.

I also think Helsinki is a wonderful city. The Rock Church and other big church (I forget the name) are nice. One time I took a tour to a small town in countryside that was also very nice.

Talinn has good shopping for trinkets. Stockholm I can take it or leave it, Visby is really not worth the stop. Copenhagen is wonderful with the only criticism that it is very expensive to get alcohol there. If you have a chance to get to the outskirts of Copenhagen, there are some more wonderful small towns and historic sites.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Talking Baltic cruise

Most Americans have no idea where the Baltic is located and what cities cluster around it -- perhaps this is why the question is asked.

In fact, as the above posters say, there are many world class cities on a Baltic cruise. St. Petersburg is generally regarded as the highlight and it is magnificent!

Check out our trip report and pictures of our Baltic cruise at http://www.bully4.us/baltic.html

If possible, book an itinerary that stops at Gdansk Poland and take a tour to the concentration camp nearby. It is important to be witnesses to history. Our guide said we might cry, and I am unashamed to admit that I did.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old February 20th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

and one more:

Lithuania : Klaipeda (not very interesting) but there is one of the most beautifill small
town in the world Palanga (25 km from Klaipeda).

Palanga - e.g. to see Amber museum.

As a matter of fact I've never seen a small town (app. 15000 people) with
its own airoport (Palanga get it since 35 years)
Old February 21st, 2011, 03:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

We loved our Baltic cruise, although it wasnt anywhere near long enough. Almost everyone states that St Pertersburg was the highlight for them. We had been lucky to spend a week in St Petersburg a few years earlier so had already seen all the main sights, but again enjoyed our short visit there. The Hermitage of course is where most people head for first.....most tours only give you a very small overview of this magnificent museum, probably about 3 or 4 hours. This is probably enough for most people, but if you are any sort of an art buff you should try to at least spend one whole day there. Our favourite place was probably Peterhof, followed by Catherine Palace. Tallin we also loved....just a small city to walk around soaking up the sights and the wonderful smells! There was a stong smell of cinnamon (never did find out what was cooking) and the flower market was beautiful! Stockholm was also a lovely city.....the Ho Ho bus is a good way to see the City, and make sure to stop at the Vasa museum.....a wonderful ship that had sunk approx 400 years ago....in amazing condition!
For the Berlin tours we stopped at Warnemunde......one of the most beautiful little towns we have been too, someone said Rostock was boring but we didnt get there.....others havent seen much they liked in Warnemunde either, but we loved it!

If anyone is interested, this is my trip report "on another forum"

Granny's 2009 BALTIC CRUISE - Cruise Critic Message Boards

Seabourn Pride...Dover to Singapore...88 Days....Sept 17 2011