CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Hawaii - Cruise or Land (and air) Vacation (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/380831-hawaii-cruise-land-air-vacation.html)

green_rd February 28th, 2011 05:14 PM

Hawaii - Cruise or Land (and air) Vacation

It seems sacrilegious to ask while Kuki & game are steaming towards Hawaii. But is a cruise the best way to see Hawaii for a first timer? Round trips from CA have four days at sea, each way + the obligatory stop in Ensenada. Would I be better served by biting the bullet and making that long flight to HI? Once in Honolulu, how easy is it to island hop?

(As a footnote: is it not practical to go three days HI to Cabo and then have that last sea day to CA?)

Thanks,

Trackypup February 28th, 2011 05:20 PM

I'm putting on my flame retardent suit as I type this. I cannot for the life of me EVER see spending two weeks vacation time and probably $5,000 for a balcony for 4 days in Hawaii.

We've done about 4 or 5 land trips to Hawaii and have done Pride of America which I do recommend as a way to see all the islands and I've heard they've come a long way service wise.

Some people say they like it because they don't have to fly, and they like Sea Days. It's a not a cruise you will ever see us doing and we love Hawaii. When I go to Hawaii, I want to see Hawaii, not the Pacific for 10 days.

anniegb February 28th, 2011 05:26 PM

Trackypup,

You are not alone! I have posted the same thought before - now Paul M responded it is possible to sail to Hawaii and fly back. I never investigated further.

When I travel to Hawaii - I'll be flying.

Annie

Trackypup February 28th, 2011 05:28 PM

Actually I was just going to update my post. What I would do is the one ways they do in April or September to/from Vancouver. That way you only get 1/2 the sea days and you can spend time at the other end in Hawaii. Royal Caribbean has two of those on Rhapsody and Radiance and I think Carnival has one.

anniegb February 28th, 2011 06:25 PM

Thanks - food for thought. Strange to have to go to Vancouver to do it.

Moiraine February 28th, 2011 06:45 PM

I was wondering that as well after reading Kuki's blog. I personally would like to do the RT from LA. Sea days would be fine with me. However, my daughter thinks I'm nuts. She's like Trackypup, land vacation all the way.

Trackypup March 1st, 2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1356084)
Thanks - food for thought. Strange to have to go to Vancouver to do it.

It's because it's a) a legal cruise and b) they're repositioning to and from Alaska

Truck Cruiser March 1st, 2011 02:01 AM

personally, time wise and cost wise, it is probably cheaper to fly to Hawaii and do the land vacation then to cruise in with a balcony cabin.

I agree with you, I can't see wasting so many days at sea on my vacation.