CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Cruiseline loyalty (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/380935-cruiseline-loyalty.html)

Trip March 4th, 2011 03:08 PM

Cruiseline loyalty

I am an equal opportunity cruiser, preferring to mix it up when selecting cruises. Many prefer to sail only one line, building up their level of loyalty.

Is there a line, you just said..I don't want to sail them, or if you sailed them, you said never again?

Do you feel the perks you get, are worth your loyalty, and to those who only sail one line, do you think perhaps you might be looking through rose colored glasses at times? and If you had just a so so cruise, would it be tough to admit you were not thrilled, and consider another line?

For me I would only sail HAL, if it were a CM cruise.I would not sail it, as a couple. We sailed 2 ships, and, unless it was a hosted cruise, I would pass..

Mike M March 4th, 2011 03:29 PM

There is no cruise line that I will sail exclusively nor is there a cruise line that I will not sail.

Of course I have preferences but a cruise, to me, is far more than just a ship or cruise line. It is the itinerary, the logistics of getting there, the cost and then the ship and line that are the equation that decides if I cruise or not.

I have never been on a ship that was SO bad that I would not sail it again if the itinerary and price were right. My least favorite ship, so far, has been Norwegian Epic but it was by far not bad enough to say. I won't sail that ship ever again.

There are also no "loyalty" programs that have benefits so good that I will pigeon hole myself into their ships and itineraries. Overall I haven't seen any loyalty program, including the luxury lines, that would even make me put the loyalty program into my cruise equation. Unless the past passenger discount was REALLY good.

I believe there are too many places to see and too many ships to sail to allow me to narrow my world just to sail on one cruise line.

Take care,
Mike

Trackypup March 4th, 2011 03:37 PM

It would take a lot for us to get back on another HAL cruise. I even have a letter from them full of apologies, upgrade and VIP offers and I'm not biting.

I refuse to sail RCI because of their childish liquor policies. We mainly look to Princess first, we have 9 cruises with them, 10th next month. I think their loyalty rewards are great. If something we want to do is not available on Princess we would look to Celebrity next.

We came close to booking Azamara for our anniversary trip but for $745 per diem for basically hanging around the Amalfi Coast for 6 days, we can do far better on land.

As much as we like the Princess rewards, it wouldn't stop us booking Celebrity, Oceania or Azamara for the right itinerary/time frame.

anniegb March 4th, 2011 04:12 PM

I agree with Trip and Trackypup, I have sailed once with HAL - never again.

Fellow experienced HAL cruisers did say it was not a good cruise - so many things went wrong. The crew were so tired.

Sorry no two bites of the cherry for them.

Annie

Marc March 4th, 2011 05:24 PM

I do (currently) sail only one cruise line and the stated, and unstated, loyalty benefits are a major reason. I like the cruise discounts, shipboard credit, free internet, free phone, pressing, newspapers that I currently get and free laundry and air deviations (and free phone time increases to nine hours per trip) that I qualify for on my next cruise. I also like the additional "benefits" I gain just from being known by the officers and crew.

So far, I have not run out of itineraries. Yesterday, I booked a Monte Carlo to Rio crossing for November 2012; only two repeat ports out of ten. If I do run out of itineraries, I will have to search a little wider for cruises (I am taking Silversea to Antarctica, for example).

CruzNut March 4th, 2011 07:58 PM

I have cruised on a lot of lines - many no longer in business.

I went on Carnival once a number of years ago and will never go with them again.

Used to sail with NCL - 6 times - 4 of them on the Norway and the last two on the Norway after Star Ferry of Hong Kong bought them and destroyed a beautiful ship. Not only that but I prefer traditional dining and they don't have it.

I'll stick with Princess no matter how many times I go to the same ports (8 to the Canal) and a whole bunch to the Caribbean. I love their perks and the general very friendly attitude - plus being able to sail from Fort Lauderdale.

As to other itineraries, I've travelled to many areas of the world (land trips and some cruises, 4 trans-Atlantic and 1 trans-Pacific) so really have seen most of what I wish to see. No desire to go to the middle East - never did have ... nor most of Asia (did go to Hong Kong and Japan on a cruise). Been to Scandanavia and a lot of Europe.

My last cruise this past November I stayed on board and enjoyed the Coral Princess. I love just being on the ship and don't have to repeat seeing islands/ports.

My second choice would be Celebrity that I've sailed on 5 times, but not RCI which I was on twice.

But, my heart belongs to Princess!:D

Lakers Fan March 4th, 2011 08:35 PM

I research thoroughly and thus far I have determined that HAL is best for my BDW and myself .However ,that does not mean we would not consider other lines .

Truck Cruiser March 5th, 2011 12:23 AM

While only having sailed on Carnival and Princess so far, with Carnival being a much better cruise line in my opinion, I am not a loyalist to any cruise line and in fact would like to try them all.

I guess if there was 1 or 2 that I really wouldn't care to sail on it would be Costa and MSC cruises as I have heard some really bad things about those cruise lines. I also don't really see me sailing on any of the RCL mega ships as for me, that is just too many people to deal with, I think 3000 guests is pushing it a little too.

That all having been said, i'll never say never to any cruise line or ship if the price is right and the itinerary is good.

Happy Sailings
Tim

Parrot Mom March 5th, 2011 08:51 AM

Loyal cruiser

We have in the past cruised RC, Dolphin, Premier, Carnival, Princess, Royal, and NCL ..because of the perks we earned quickly Celebrity remains my first choice. Celebrity for my retired and limited $$4 is what I desire, the service, food and the ambiance..not to mention the ports. Yet, on our last NCL cruise we bought a "discount" on a future cruise and circumstances are at the point where we will cruise to Bermuda one last time on the NCL Dawn.. I hope.. There are other lines I would of liked to have cruised like Oceania, Azamara, Gaugan, etc. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control we are at the end of our cruising days and the NCL Dawn maybe our last cruise.. Then again Parrot Pop says I am loyal to certain brands of foods, restaurants, stores, etc. to a fault. So, count me as a loyal Celebrity cruiser

Moiraine March 5th, 2011 10:53 AM

Not got that many under my belt yet. The two I have been on have been with Carnival. I have one booked with Norwegian for 2012. Give me the right price, port, and itinerary and I'm there.

MercedMike March 6th, 2011 11:43 AM

Favorite lines

HAL and Princess are our favorites. We are Platinum on Princess (DW is Elite) and whatever the equivalent is on HAL.

We have never had a bad cruise on either one. There have been small glitches and occasional problems but never anything that would make me turn away from them.

We are also platinum on RCI. I like it better than DW does. We were on a cruise with them that included a major incident, totally beyond the cruise lines control, and they handled it as well as they could. (Mardi Gras Trip Report and Pictures) I suppose many on that cruise swore never to cruise RCI again, but we still like the line and will use it when it works for us.

AF1 March 6th, 2011 07:11 PM

Have only sailed Royal Caribbean; and I sail it for the ship and not the perks; I have stayed in suites; so I get suite perks; but that is not why I sail Royal; I am an average person, My wife and I don't drink; and we don't like fancy food; some of the upscale lines would not fit into our itinerary, mainly because the luxury lines have booze and stuff put into the cost of the cruise. For me to go to a very nice resturaunt with snails, stuffed mushrooms with crab, wine pairings; etc, etc, just not my cup of tea. So Royal has been a great cruise line; we like the activities on the ship, we have sailed all over the caribbean, europe, and mid east; next up will be pacific or Alaska.

Trip March 6th, 2011 07:15 PM

If you had just a so so cruise, on your fave line, would it be tough to admit you were not as thrilled as you had always been, and, maybe start to consider a change?

AF1 March 6th, 2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1357555)
If you had just a so so cruise, would it be tough to admit you were not thrilled as you have always been, and consider another line?

I would consider another line; absolutely; there is not a cruise line that I am totally loyal to; especially if I pay my hard earned money to have a bad vacation.