Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Captain

Smile Airlines

I have not flown since I was a liite kid (13) and my wife has never flown. First off let me say that I have read some articles on this web site about cruise ships nickel and diming you. Take a look at the airlines $20.00 per bag !! What will the do next charge $20 for each shoe and $10.00 for your underware? Anyway we are leaving in 7 days thats right 7 on our very first cruise ever. We will be flyin out of Eugene Ore. with a connecting flight in Portland Ore. My questions are do we have to go thru security checks in Portland also and do they trnsfer you luggage for you? I am going to go thru all are paper work and make sure its all right, double check the reservations. I was also thinking about calling our TA just to check in and make sure everthing is in order any other suggestions?Better fill the car with gas (better get a loan for that 3.69 a gallon)Going out with the wife to buy swim suits and a nice dress for her.Well thats enough rambling on for now We are really excited about this tripIt will be so much fun!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
I have not flown since I was a liite kid (13) and my wife has never flown. First off let me say that I have read some articles on this web site about cruise ships nickel and diming you. Take a look at the airlines $20.00 per bag !! What will the do next charge $20 for each shoe and $10.00 for your underware? Anyway we are leaving in 7 days thats right 7 on our very first cruise ever. We will be flyin out of Eugene Ore. with a connecting flight in Portland Ore. My questions are do we have to go thru security checks in Portland also and do they trnsfer you luggage for you? I am going to go thru all are paper work and make sure its all right, double check the reservations. I was also thinking about calling our TA just to check in and make sure everthing is in order any other suggestions?Better fill the car with gas (better get a loan for that 3.69 a gallon)Going out with the wife to buy swim suits and a nice dress for her.Well thats enough rambling on for now We are really excited about this tripIt will be so much fun!!!!!
You will only need to go through security in Eugene. When you land in Portland you will already be in the secure area. Your luggage will be checked through to your final destination so you will not need to worry about your luggage on the transfer. It should be on the carousel at your final destination.

Don't stress too much. You can go online and check your airline reservations and go to the cruise line's website and check your booking. You will be able to see if all is in order.

Take care and have a great cruise.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 19th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Dhill, remember that you won't be able to access your Princess booking after 5 days before you sail, so make sure you have your boarding passes and luggage tags printed out (Your TA should have done this for you).

Be sure to carry anything you can't afford to lose (meds, cameras, jewelry, etc.) in your carry on bag. I also carry on a change of clothes, just in case!

Since this is your first flight in a long time I'll suggest that you bring gum to chew at take off and landing and maybe some saline nasal spray to use at the same time. I used to have my ears stop up all the time when I flew until I used these things!

Oh, don't forget one's for tipping the porter at the airport and at the ship (and anyone else who has their hand out ).

I can't wait to hear how much fun y'all have on your first cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 19th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Yeah, take lots of ones.
Old March 19th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Since you have already gone through security when boarding your first flight, you will not have to re do that, unless you go out of the secure area...Most likely, you will be going from one flight to the next. The luggage should get transfered for you, just make sure they put the correct luggage tags on them...

I know the charges for luggage is very high, I know cruise with just one check-in and have no garment bag like I used to use. Just pack sensibly and check the weight, because, yes, they will weigh the bags and anything over 50 pounds is also extra...

Have a great cruise!

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 19th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

I know you must be nervous; since your haven't flown in a long time. I fly every week and I still shake my head with all the changes in the airlines. Seems like the airlines change things once a month; not really; but they do so things that make u just want to stop flying. In your case; hang in there; call your travel agent; you can reach out and touch someone; so it may as well be your TA..
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old March 19th, 2011, 10:40 PM
First Mate

hi dhill,

At first glance I'd say you already know more than many about cruising and flying by the fact that you have already posted 127 times on cruisemates !

Enjoy and be yourself, or even a little bit better,
Edwin
Old March 20th, 2011, 02:17 AM
First Mate

I like that comment,
Sounds like you have already done the right preparation.
Going thru security take all your metals out of your pocket, coins, keys and put into your hand luggage. Put on a belt with no large buckle, be prepared to take off your shoes , take off your jacket and put on Xray belt. have a computer same thing , does not ned to be turned on.
Ships security line will be the same, expect it.
Have a pen with you as cruise line will give you a health form to tick off a few boxes saying you have no coughs or illness.
Have your Eticket and passport ready for both checkins of air or cruise
If you atek a taxi to the port the port security might want to see your eticket and passport , be ready
Have your etciket and CC ready for the checkin
Enjoy yourself and write us a followup and review
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old March 20th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
I like that comment,
Sounds like you have already done the right preparation.
Going thru security take all your metals out of your pocket, coins, keys and put into your hand luggage. Put on a belt with no large buckle, be prepared to take off your shoes , take off your jacket and put on Xray belt. have a computer same thing , does not ned to be turned on.
Ships security line will be the same, expect it.
Have a pen with you as cruise line will give you a health form to tick off a few boxes saying you have no coughs or illness.
Have your Eticket and passport ready for both checkins of air or cruise
If you atek a taxi to the port the port security might want to see your eticket and passport , be ready
Have your etciket and CC ready for the checkin
Enjoy yourself and write us a followup and review
Thank you robh that was very helpful read it a couple times! Take my shoes off guess well have to go get some socks now it never ends!
Old March 20th, 2011, 10:13 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
Thank you robh that was very helpful read it a couple times! Take my shoes off guess well have to go get some socks now it never ends!
Clean ones of course...

Large metal sometimes set off the Xray and they might have relaxed the shoe bit . In Canada they have

oh , yes, no liquid containors more than 3oz's in a clear plastic containor and leave the Swiss Army knife in your checkin luggage
Old March 20th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post

Clean ones of course...

Large metal sometimes set off the Xray and they might have relaxed the shoe bit . In Canada they have

oh , yes, no liquid containors more than 3oz's in a clear plastic containor and leave the Swiss Army knife in your checkin luggage
Its been along time since I have flown My dad was in the Coast Guard for 22 years so every time he was stationed some where new we would fly. I never remember it being like this!
Old March 20th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Admiral

You do have to take the shoes off. A lot of people wear slip on shoes or flip flops to fly because it's a pain to wear lace ups.
Old March 20th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Dhill - welcome to the post-9/11 world and the post-shoe bomber world. Actually airport security was already increasing in the 80s and 90s. No more going to the gate unless you are a ticketed passenger.

The one thing I would add is to have a small carry-on with the essentials. Two reasons: First somethings luggage does get lost, second once you hand your luggage to the porters at the cruise terminal you may not see it for several hours - coming for Eugene you might want to have some warm weather duds handy once you board.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old March 20th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Admiral

DH takes an extra zipper bag in his carry on and unloads his pockets and puts his jewelry into it before we get to security. My jewelry has never set anything off, so I leave it on (a small wedding band, small watch, sterling necklace).

You will have to take off your shoes, so run to WalMart and buy some socks . You also may be the "lucky" one who they decide to check more throughly. They'll go through your carry on and "wand" you. There's no way to know who they'll pick, but it's no big deal.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 20th, 2011, 07:16 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
DH takes an extra zipper bag in his carry on and unloads his pockets and puts his jewelry into it before we get to security. My jewelry has never set anything off, so I leave it on (a small wedding band, small watch, sterling necklace).

You will have to take off your shoes, so run to WalMart and buy some socks . You also may be the "lucky" one who they decide to check more throughly. They'll go through your carry on and "wand" you. There's no way to know who they'll pick, but it's no big deal.
Sounds like DH needs to surprise you with a lovely large ring to wear.

Dhill, if you are really lucky , they will ask you to go into a glass circular booth which rotates around you while you have your hands raised and stretched. This gives someone in a booth hidden away a view of your entire body sans clothes and if they suspect you hiding something on your body then you get a special wand search.
They say the images are erased though I sometimes wonder as all hard drives still have data for the right security person to review but we have to believe our authorities value our privacy.