Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Familiar Face

Default Help me understand CDC inspections

I just came from the "Unhappy with Celebrity" thread...how utterly exhausting...but came away with the link to the CDC website.

I am not a newbie to such things as audits or inspections, and realize that a 'deficiency' might be minor and correctable in the 'institution's' eyes...I was just over at the CDC browsing around, and saw inspection scores of "100" but the report details were somewhat disconcerting with several deficiencies noted even though the score was 100. (I have to say that sometimes, ignorance is bliss...I really don't want to ever know that my steak just got picked up off the floor if I enjoyed eating it- !)

I know the ratings say anything at/below an 85 is unsatisfactory, but (bad analogy to follow) even when I'm shopping on eBay, if they have less than a 99.8, I steer clear. At what rating should I really be considering "reconsidering" cruising with a specific ship, and/or what types of specific infractions should one really be concerned with?

(or should I just stay off the CDC site altogether and stay ignorant and enjoy the cruise? HA! )
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

You may be getting a little paranoid about the CDC. Unless the cruise ship fails an inspection twice; I wouldn't worry. Sometimes the cruise line may get a bad rating; or below what you would like them to get; but it doesn't mean they failed the inspection. The inspections cover food handling; food sanitation, kitchen sanitation; and they can be done just about everytime the ships dock. Inspections are a good thing. I don't believe any major cruise lines that we use; have failed inspections lately. I could be wrong.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old March 20th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Administrator
Admiral

An inspection will almost always find something wrong. It can be as little as the dishwater temperature is off by 1 degree or buffet serving utensil was used on two different dishes. Neither of these are major issues and do not endanger the passengers.

I would not worry about any score 90 or above. If the score is 100 you have a darn clean ship and if it's over 90 there isn't anything to worry about.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 20th, 2011, 02:06 AM
First Mate

Default 90+ Fine

As Mike states , an inspection will always find something wrong but when the US CDC or British CDC do an inspection be grateful as it ensures you can eat off the floor and use a lifeboat and the ship can create fresh water and the crew can respodn to a fire and the ships engines perform.
And that is just a few things.

You should see some of the ships that do not visit US waters and undergo this type of review.
The inspectors can come onboard at anytime unannounced and cause alarms to go off to test the crews actions like a fire in the kitchen.

If you can , take a tour of the kitchen at least and be amazed at how clean it is and how small and the way they store provisions.
Cheers
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old March 20th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Administrator
Admiral

The CDC checks for cleanliness and proper handling of food and sanitation. The United States Coast Guard are the ones who make sure the life boats work and set off the alarms to see how the crew reacts.

Either of them can come on board anytime the ship is docked in a U.S. port and they will do an inspection at least once a year.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 20th, 2011, 10:16 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
The CDC checks for cleanliness and proper handling of food and sanitation. The United States Coast Guard are the ones who make sure the life boats work and set off the alarms to see how the crew reacts.

Either of them can come on board anytime the ship is docked in a U.S. port and they will do an inspection at least once a year.

Take care,
Mike
thanks Mike
Just had put them all together in my reply
I saw the British Coast Guard delay a passenger ship from the UK on its departure day to correct some articles of safety.
Old March 20th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post

Take care,
Mike
I remember when i was commercial fishing off the west coast we would be out shrimping or dragging and you would see a big C.G cutter off in the distance they would launch a rigid hull boat and zip over to you and board you out on the ocean and inspect you and look for ilegal drugs and fish.It was fun to watch them jump from the litte boat onto are boat
Old March 20th, 2011, 04:38 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
I remember when i was commercial fishing off the west coast we would be out shrimping or dragging and you would see a big C.G cutter off in the distance they would launch a rigid hull boat and zip over to you and board you out on the ocean and inspect you and look for ilegal drugs and fish.It was fun to watch them jump from the litte boat onto are boat
Good info
They do that on a regular basis in the North Seas of Scotland and Wales looking for size of fish, nets , type caught.
Course the rules are EU now , so very strict