Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Value for your money?

What about cruising makes you feel you got great value for your cruise dollars?

What would result in you feeling you didn't get value for your money?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

For myself, I like the fact that I unpack, and the ship is my transportation to different slices of paradise. I can enjoy, if I decide to, opt for a pay dining venue. If not, I know I will be well fed,from a menu with many options. Another part of the dining is that, I am given the ability to try something new ,and if I don't like it, select something else.Try that on dry land

For someone who wants to get the flavor of several islands, to see if they would like a land vacation there..this is the most economical way to do it.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 20th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Familiar Face

I think the constant entertainment makes the cruise worth it to me. There really is always SOMETHING to do, at all hours.

I also pay for my cruise about a half year in advance, so it doesn't seem too expensive when I splurge on excursions, alcohol, gifts, etc.

Carnival Liberty, 1/28/11
RCCL 2003,2004
Old March 20th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Based on a 10 day cruise ,my thinking is that 3 meals in a restaurant would be approximately $180 a day for 2 people .10 shows equal to $700 .That in itself is likely more than the cruise will cost plus you are getting all kinds of free activities .
Old March 20th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Admiral

You get much more for your money on a cruise than you do on a land vacation. Food and shows on land can be very expensive.
Plus it's more relaxing on a cruise and you get much better room service.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 20th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Admiral

I've never ordered room service on sea or land .
Old March 21st, 2011, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

The best value I get from cruising is; no cellphone or laptop for a week. I can actually talk to my wife everyday without being on my cell or surfin the web. This is something you can't put a price on; unless you are cruising with your best friend; in this case my wife.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old March 21st, 2011, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Hmmm value for money, that's a tough one to answer. We vacation for different reasons, last year we did a 10 day repositioning/mexican riviera with a ton of sea days, value for money on that one, how much relaxing with my feet up can I cram into one day?

Cruising the Med? my values change, how much can I experience, is the ship my best bet for transportation. We don't do shows so entertainment doesn't ever enter into the equation. We don't spend $180 a day on food, never. In the med, give me a cappucino and a chocolate croissant for breakfast and I'm a happy camper. We'll have dinner from things we picked up at the market or a little bistro.

We just booked a 21 day cruise for $340 a day. We have 19 ports, we go to Sete, Portofino, Cinque Terra, Amalfi Coast, Crete, Santorini, Delphi, Venice... places I couldn't possibly combine on a land trip. For us that's a huge value for money.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old March 21st, 2011, 03:08 PM
Familiar Face

To me, it's all subjective.
I could figure that on my recent cruise I got pretty decent "value" that was equal to the amount I paid- that being $54.75 per day for transportation to a foreign port or two, "linen service" dining, an "ok" show or two, and what I'd deem as "economical" lodging.

I am expecting that even if I pay more, I am going to get good "value" even with the higher price because I'm expecting a little more in the way of lodging accommodations (whether it be nicer decor, NOT having to bring extras such as a hair dryer, maybe a room w/a view...), as well as paying extra for alternative dining...or even using a beverage plan. I will most certainly be looking at the entertainment venues because I did feel that what I got on my $219/pp cruise could CERTAINLY be improved upon.

I will use my $219-4-day-budget-cruise as a benchmark, and judge 'value' based on the improvements that I expect in the future. I can't put an exact number on the AMOUNT of value that any amenity would garner...once I did the math on future cruises, I could say "yep, that was worth the "x" dollars I paid."

What would cause me to think I didn't get value? Service that was NOTICEABLY absent or poor, meals that were CONSISTENTLY prepared poorly (temperature or sloppy...whether I liked it or not certainly would not be a factor), or entertainment that was equal-to or worse than what I saw on my 'budget' cruise.

Maybe it's a fantasy, but I'm expecting overall "better" as I set my cruising standards & budget higher. Personally, I would have not been thrilled if I had paid way more for (upgraded room) my recent cruise on the Imagination, since the extra $$ would have only accounted for added lodging costs, and not contributed to the 'overall' experience.
Old March 21st, 2011, 04:10 PM
Admiral

I'll take the flip side of Kuki's question.
Quote:
What would result in you feeling you didn't get value for your money?
If my cabin made me feel like I was sleeping at Dave's Patio Motel - our gold standard for worst hotel ever.
If meals in the MDR were poor and the service slow and rude.
If the ship was run down and in poor condition.

Special Mention: If the ship caught fire and drifted idly or struck a rock and sunk - and the cruise line did not offer reasonable compensation. (I do believe that Carnival offered very reasonable compensation to the poor passengers who endured the Splendor fire last fall - the value they receive may be delayed but they also got a story of a lifetime.)

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
I'll take the flip side of Kuki's question.

If my cabin made me feel like I was sleeping at Dave's Patio Motel - our gold standard for worst hotel ever.
If meals in the MDR were poor and the service slow and rude.
If the ship was run down and in poor condition.

Special Mention: If the ship caught fire and drifted idly or struck a rock and sunk - and the cruise line did not offer reasonable compensation. (I do believe that Carnival offered very reasonable compensation to the poor passengers who endured the Splendor fire last fall - the value they receive may be delayed but they also got a story of a lifetime.)
Hey Bob... it's MY question

But even in the scenario you suggested, if you paid $99, wouldn't you consider it good value that they fed you, and gave you a place to sleep.

YEARS ago I was traveling in Europe, stayed at a "hotel" that was $1/night, and an extra $1 if you wanted a sheet. It was a DUMP, but I'd have to say I got full value for my $1
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Kuki - everybody was answering the first part of your question - I just thought I would take the second part.

You are right about the cost, but if I can help it at all I will never stay at Dave's Patio Motel again. We looked at easyCruise last year for the Eastern Med. easyCruise provides a cabin and transportation - but pretty much everything else was extra. But we decided that was not what we wanted to do.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Kuki, to answer the second part of your question; if I felt the ships staff were not very attentive; or they blow you off when u have a problem. This would upset me; same things would upset me if I was at Disney World and Disney staff did the same. When u work all year to save money to cruise; you want your vacation to be perfect. When the staff or cruiseline start to cut corners; cutback on service; and the like, then I would re-evaluate and ask myself; can I get a better value somewhere else. Right now I can not find a better value than cruising.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old March 22nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Default Not a cruise cabin but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Hey Bob... it's MY question

But even in the scenario you suggested, if you paid $99, wouldn't you consider it good value that they fed you, and gave you a place to sleep.

YEARS ago I was traveling in Europe, stayed at a "hotel" that was $1/night, and an extra $1 if you wanted a sheet. It was a DUMP, but I'd have to say I got full value for my $1

Many years ago we were on our way to a vacation spot and decided to find a motel to spend the night .We found a place called the Bates Motel.It was $25 for the night . The temperature outside was in the high 90's .The room did not have screens .There was no AC .We spent the night with every imaginable insect .