Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil&Liz View Post
One thing about Rome....they won't let you in to tour churches if you are wearing short dresses. Least it was that way when was theer in 1988 !
Count on that being the case in all of Italy, really. And your shoulders must be covered as well. Think about it. You wear church clothes to church. They're not tourist attractions, they're churches.

A nice blouse and long skirt in Italy is a must. Takes care of the entrance issue and the unfortunate toilet issue at the same time.

Also, I wouldn't count on there being a toilet on a tour bus at all. There might be, but as has been mentioned, it's not guaranteed to be in working order.
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Default Bring along

One of the things I have always brought along is the end of toilet paper rolls I keep in a zip lock bag...or you can bring a package of diaper wipes. Yes, I remember being desperate in Mexico. Mazatlan I think.. at a flea market and the locals took me to a garage with a hole in the ground...I was desperate..!!! In Porta delardo there was an elderly lady in a bathroom with strips of toilet paper she was selling. I had my own.
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

As much teasing etc I've done on this thread, I should say... I've been to Europe more than half a dozen times, and the bathroom thing was not really issue enough to be included in my memories.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Yes, you'll be fine. Don't worry about it too much.:???:

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old March 27th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes, we are all men and do have it easier than women do but I talked to Betty about it and in all of our travels to Euorpe she too has never had an issue with the bathrooms in Europe.

There may have been a couple of "less than desirable" bathrooms, just like here in the U.S., but it was never a problem for her.

Remember, you are going to Europe and not a third world country.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

What Lira/coins, should we set aside for the restrooms?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 29th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Italy no longer uses the Lira. It is now Euros. So you will need Euro coins. They are in denominations of .01, .02, .05, .10, .20, .50, 1 and 2 Euro coins (IIRC)

Euros are interesting. One side is the same among all European Union countries that use the Euro but the other side is unique to each country. All coins can be used in any EU country that uses the Euro, regardless of the country that is depicted on one side.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 14th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Captain

First timers to Europe, look for signs (usually small and up high) that say WC (Watercloset) an be prepared to pay either an attendant or into a slot which opens the door.

As we were headed into Florence we stopped at a monastery near a statue of the David. Under the stairs leading up to the statue, there were restrooms. The men's room was just a hole in the floor. The Ladies room had two stalls.

The McD's in Rome had a restroom, but you had to go way down a spiral staircase to get to it.

As we were traveling on a Water Taxi from the Island of Burano back to Venice, my DH had an emergency nature call. It was getting dark and the boat stopped at the island of Murano. We jumped off to find a restroom and the boat left us. We found that almost everything had closed for the day, but finally found a little bakery. They did not want him to use the restroom without paying, so I stayed at the counter and ordered the cheapest thing I could. They were also about to close for the day. We walked out into a very deserted little island and it was really dark by then. Thank goodness one of our friends had explained the chart for the water taxis and ferries and we were able to figure out where to go to catch another boat back to Venice. We were beginning to think we would be sleeping on a bench that night.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old June 14th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I am glad this thread got bumped up. We had been told by some people, they had rest rooms on some buses,although I could not imagine how that could be really, since, every seat is a valuable piece of real estate. ..this was not the case for us. With no stops along the way to the inner cities on ships itineraries, you better have no emergancy!

We found in Florence, after our walk into the square, there was a tourism office that had rest rooms, and that was the only one that had a charge...it was .60 euros Every rest room we used in other ports was free, and many times once the bus arrived at our destination, there was a rest room, very close. Eating in a cafe they allow their patrons to use their facilities of course.

The only time I heard of a hole in the ground, was in Rome by the Collesium.

Many times there was no top seat, just the porcelain,and the flushes were on the wall..One sink had a pedal on the floor to push to wash your hands.

Most of what he heard from people in the know, was the worst of the restrooms are in small villages all over Europe. Thankfully we didn'r see the worst.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 14th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Admiral

I have never used a public restaurant on a train .Perhaps twice on a bus and not more than 5 times on a plane .I have great difficulty because of my height .