CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   The dreaded restroom thread:( (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/381459-dreaded-restroom-thread.html)

Trip March 24th, 2011 03:59 PM

The dreaded restroom thread:(

Alrighty then, someone please asuage my gf's and my fear that, that there is only one bathroom in each city,and the line is 2 miles long:):)

I remember seeing Samantha Brown I think in Italy, with her feet on footprints,and well, you know the rest. OY!

Elaine asked me a couple of questions,and I said huh?:confused: So, here I am asking you some questions.

When you take a tour, do these buses have a restroom? Some rides are close to 2 hrs.

In the shopping/touring areas are there public restrooms, or will we need to go to a cafe, order something, and use the facilities? Pompei did have some nice baths:)

Is there a fee to use the restooms...remember as a kid you needed that bloody dime?

I have a funny Caracas ladies room story, there was an attendant in the room..is that common?

Ok, I think I am through....NEXT, <VBG>

Trackypup March 24th, 2011 04:13 PM

Ah, Europe restrooms can be so fun!! NOT ;) I can't answer about bathrooms on the bus. For bathrooms in major tourist towns, always have change as yes, lots of times there is a charge. I always had a little pack of tissues in my purse too, as you never know what supplies you'll find.

Only once, at the Santorini bus stop did I encounter the hole in the ground kind.. that wasn't fun in Capris.

If you stop at reststops and find the hole in the ground, use the handicap stall. They have seats.

Trip March 24th, 2011 04:14 PM

Can you hear us crying?

CA Cruiser March 24th, 2011 05:11 PM

The tour buses in Europe did have restroom but they were not located the back of the bus. they were midway next to the door under the passenger seats. It looked like you were going down to the basement. Not something I wanted to try. At the Eifle Tower, they had an attendant who told you when to go in and which stall to use :eek: In Russia, there was a charge for the portapotty in front of the Cathedral but you had to get a "ticket", paying with Russian $. DH didn't have any but really had to go so he talked the guy in the "ticket" booth into accepting an American dollar. Then the guy wouldn't accept the next persons :roll: Some people tried to hold the door open for the next person but they wouldn't allow that!! Thank goodness we never encountered a hole in the ground!!

Trip March 24th, 2011 05:17 PM

Oh my, oh my:( Does anyone have experience in:

Rome
Florence
Dubrovnik
Monte Carlo...no holes there:)
Naples
Messina

And to the question of using rest rooms in resturants?

OH MY.:roll:

Trackypup March 24th, 2011 05:26 PM

We did always try and time out pee breaks around a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, which is actually counter productive :) Rome there were public pay facilities that were clean. Same with Florence. Monte Carlo, not an issue.

Trackypup March 24th, 2011 05:50 PM

Oh, and just a heads up... if you're planning on having a heart attack anywhere on this cruise, aim for Monaco. There's a defibrillator on every block ;)

What are you doing for a shore excursion in Monaco?

Trip March 24th, 2011 05:54 PM

And we will be filmed on the security cameras on every corner too.

Since the port days are so long, I was hoping for something very easy, maybe just walking around the shopping district..a tour to Nice? Any suggestions?

kandajones March 24th, 2011 06:14 PM

We always track down a McDonalds, not for the food, but the re-assurance that the facilities will be free and fairly safe with all the mod-cons like seats and water ;)

McD's also often have some of the best maps in large cities - of course with all the rest rooms, I mean McDonalds, marked on them.

Rome has lots of them, the "nicest" we've used were a couple of hundred yards to the right of the Spansh steps as you look up them - it's actually a McCafe, so the exterior color scheme is green & brown !!

Happt hunting !!

Alan & Katrina

Trackypup March 24th, 2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1362085)
And we will be filmed on the security cameras on every corner too.

Since the port days are so long, I was hoping for something very easy, maybe just walking around the shopping district..a tour to Nice? Any suggestions?

Not sure what you're time in port is like.... you could go to Nice, which is easy on the bus or the train. St. Paul de Vence is one of my favourite spots on earth but it's a little more difficult to get to, you'd have to get to Nice and then get the bus (Bit of a pain). You can do the bus to Eze directly from Monaco. Eze is lovely. Nice views, lovely shops. But then hanging around Monaco isn't so bad either ;)

If you're into art, the Marc Chagall museum in Nice is amazing and an easy walk from the main bus terminal. The flower market is nice in Nice.

Fern March 24th, 2011 06:52 PM

Oh, my, Trip! Thanks for something else to worry about :p!

I will be keeping an eye out for McDonalds or, I guess, any recognizable restaurant! Maybe I'll google for each city and make a list!

I'll also have to remember not to drink too much :o!

Trip March 24th, 2011 06:58 PM

Fern, I knew you would be jumping in, wide eyed like me....this is scary:

The tour buses in Europe did have restroom but they were not located the back of the bus. they were midway next to the door under the passenger seats.

Do we roll down? lol:shock:

Kuki March 24th, 2011 07:38 PM

Yup.. in Europe, where the signs at McDonald's says 12 billion served, they don't mean burgers rofl They are a welcome sight when you're squeezing your cheeks :)

The tour buses for the full day tours normally do have a bathroom, but they aren't always working. Full day tours also normally have a lunch stop, and you'll find sort of useable washrooms there.

At most of the major tourist sites you'll have to pay something, and you may not be all that pleased with your "accomodation" :)

Monaco is filled with alot of streets with elevation changes, so simply walking around isn't that easy if you have mobility issues. A trip to Nice might be more in order, and the street shopping there is flatter.

Florence, I highly recommend Florence on your own (my second favorite city). The main shopping area of Florence is pretty well defined and flat. Easy to walk around, and meet the bus when it's time to head back to the ship. Your eyes are going to bust out of your face when you see the jewelry shops on the Ponte Vecchio.

Don't let the trip overwhelm you or scare you. Look at it as an adventure, and do as much as you can. It's not going to be an "American Holiday", but it will so be worth your "struggles".

anniegb March 24th, 2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandajones (Post 1362092)
We always track down a McDonalds, not for the food, but the re-assurance that the facilities will be free and fairly safe with all the mod-cons like seats and water ;)

McD's also often have some of the best maps in large cities - of course with all the rest rooms, I mean McDonalds, marked on them.

Rome has lots of them, the "nicest" we've used were a couple of hundred yards to the right of the Spansh steps as you look up them - it's actually a McCafe, so the exterior color scheme is green & brown !!

Happt hunting !!

Alan & Katrina

Alan and Katrina

100% correct.

I know some guides point out the location of McDs for that very reason.

Spanish Steps location is super but when I was there - very busy.

Also Trackypup speaks a lot of cs. (as usual)

Annie

Phil&Liz March 24th, 2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackypup (Post 1362072)
Only once, at the Santorini bus stop did I encounter the hole in the ground kind...

After an overnight flight I landed in Rota, Spain at an military airbase, I went into what I was told was the restroom only to find the dreaded hole in the ground!!

One thing about Rome....they won't let you in to tour churches if you are wearing short dresses. Least it was that way when was theer in 1988 !

Trip March 24th, 2011 08:45 PM

I guess we will be visiting more Mickey D's then churches:(

Trackypup March 25th, 2011 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1362115)

Also Trackypup speaks a lot of cs. (as usual)

Annie

I'm so glad you said cs and not bs :(

Snoozeman March 25th, 2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1362137)
I guess we will be visiting more Mickey D's then churches:(

Yes they can be a welcome site! Many will require a purchase in order to use the rest room--the toilet door code will be printed on your receipt--so don't toss it away.

Trip March 25th, 2011 10:00 AM

Ray, that hint is a keeper.:D

Kuki March 25th, 2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1362220)
Yes they can be a welcome site! Many will require a purchase in order to use the rest room--the toilet door code will be printed on your receipt--so don't toss it away.

And then you can use it as toilet paper rofl

You only have to buy a drink though, usually no minimum --- and then shortly after drinking it, you need a washroom again :)

Fern March 25th, 2011 07:25 PM

Not to be too umm... "specific", but if a lady must use a "hole in the ground" does she have to balance over it? My balancing act is very bad :(. I'm like one of those little Weebles, except I do fall down!
Or is it like a campground pit toilet, smelly, but doable?

Snoozeman, thanks for the receipt information!

Trip, I'm sure glad you, zydeco, and some other CM's are sailing before us to pave the way!

Mike M March 25th, 2011 07:46 PM

Fern,

It is "squat and hover". You must balance and hope your thigh muscles don't give out.:shock:

Take care,
Mike

Trip March 25th, 2011 07:46 PM

Fern, I'd pave over the those holes if I had my way:)

Fern March 25th, 2011 08:03 PM

:(
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1362362)
Fern,

It is "squat a hover". You must balance and hope your thigh muscles don't give out.

Take care,
Mike

Yikes! Can I take my DH in with me? Seriously, I've never been able to "squat" like other people do. I fall over :shock: . My center of balance is "off". The thighs work, but the brain (or maybe the ear :confused:) doesn't!

Trip, I guess it's better than nothing, but I may be buying adult diapers before we go roflrofl!

Snoozeman March 25th, 2011 09:25 PM

And when you do get a full washroom don't always expect a toilet seat. Especially in Italy.

Phil&Liz March 25th, 2011 09:43 PM

Mr. Sedivy - Modern European Plumbing: The Toilets of Italy

How to Use Italian Toilets | eHow.com

Rick Steves' Europe: Archive: Toilet Tips

Mike M March 25th, 2011 11:06 PM

Trip:

Here is what you have to look forward to. ;):D

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/g...2751/62173.jpg

Actually this was a squat toilet in the back streets of Hong Kong.

Take care,
Mike

Trip March 25th, 2011 11:16 PM

Looks like you bring booties, get nekkid,and go.:roll: Per chance are any of these bathrooms private, or do you chit chat with your neighbors;)

Thanks Mike!:p

Mike M March 25th, 2011 11:22 PM

I definitely would not go into some of them with sandals or flip flops. The ones I went in were private.

Take care,
Mike

Fern March 26th, 2011 08:19 PM

Okay, now I'm rethinking this whole cruise :shock: ! Phil&Liz, thanks for the links. If I have to use a squat toilet I hope there's something to hold onto. Skirts seem like a good idea... :rolleyes:.

Sometimes men DO have an advantage :D!