Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default A question for the gentlemen

Since most of the airlines charge for every bag, it's important to keep packing (and the number of bags) to a minimum. Since we won't be taking a garment bag on our next cruise, I probably won't take a suit for formal night. However, I am considering buying a wrinkle resistant sports coat (or blazer). Before I do, I'd like to know if any of you men have purchased one and what your opinions are. Are so-called "wrinkle resistant" sports coats really wrinkle resistant, or do they still need to be pressed after having been stuffed in a suitcase? I would guess it depends on the quality of the fabric and who they're made by. Of course, we could just skip formal night and eat on the Lido deck.
Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Admiral

I fold my suit jacket in half (as though I am bowing) and have not had any problems with wrinkles.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Admiral

pack your suit, put it on a wire hanger, cover it with a dry cleaners bag, and fold it in half, put it in last in your suitcase, hang it up first thing when your luggage comes to your stateroom, if it does wrinkle, hang it up in the bathroom, and turn the shower on hot, steam out the wrinkles or have it pressed for a small fee, why spend the extra money on a new purchase when what you have will do just fine.
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have to agree with Lisa, use the plastic dry cleaner bags on anything that may wrinkle and needs to be hung up. I've had no wrinkle problems using this method, give it a try and save some $, by not buying a sport jacket and enjoy going to formal night.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I too am an advocate of the tissue and dry cleaner bags. Fold the jacket in half as, green said, and make sure it has tissue and dry cleaner bags surrounding it.

My wife does the packing and can do it beautifully. Me, I do all "The Right Stuff" and still end up with wrinkles. Remember, you can send anything out for pressing if it is wrinkled. Been there, done that.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

I travel for a living; I always have a suit coat with me; like everyone states; put it in plastic; fold in half and u should be good to go. Depending on the size of your suitcase it should fit nicely; also make sure its the last thing u pack; so its on top.

ps. hang it up as soon as u get your luggage.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank-you to all for the packing tip for the suit. Obviously it works, or none of you would have recommended it. It's good to learn from the experience of others. Since it's pretty simple, I believe I can handle it without the help of my wife, or our cat, who loves to help us pack (or at least explore the open suitcases :-D) I am still curious as to how wrinkle resistant a "Wrinkle Resistant" sports coat/blazer is. Not that I'm going to rush out and buy one, but I would like to know (for future reference). The research continues .........:-)
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTALLEN View Post
I am still curious as to how wrinkle resistant a "Wrinkle Resistant" sports coat/blazer is. Not that I'm going to rush out and buy one, but I would like to know (for future reference). The research continues .........:-)
Before I buy anything I always do the "crease test". Find the jacket you are thinking about, and when no one is looking, scrunch up a fistfull of fabric in your hand, real tight! Hold it for as long as no one is around, and when you let go, is it creased or not? Should tell you whether it is wrinkle proof or not!
We have also started carrying my husbands Tux and jacket in our hand luggage....dont bother getting them cleaned before you leave home...squash them in the bottom of the bag with all the heavy stuff like books etc....then get them cleaned as soon as you board. They then stay dirty till next cruise!

Seabourn Pride...Dover to Singapore...88 Days....Sept 17 2011
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

I have a suit jacket that I can almost roll up; I always fold it in half; sometimes I use plastic sometimes I don't. When I get to my hotel I take it out of my suitcase, shake it, hang it up, and it's good to go.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Another trick is bubble wrap...when I get a package I save the "good" pieces.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 4th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Admiral

We bring DH suit rolled up in a bag in our carry on and as soon as we get to our cabin we put it in the bag for dry cleaning ($9) along with his 2 shirts ($1.50/each) for pressing. To us it is worth the $12 not to worry about it. Who cares if it gets wrinkled going home

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302