CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Flight Time (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/381709-flight-time.html)

Aerogirl April 4th, 2011 05:26 PM

Flight Time

Booking a return flight home out of Fort Lauderdale off Carnival Freedom for 11:30 am, is this too early?? Itís says it back at 8:00am can we make this flight? I want to book by tonight.

AF1 April 4th, 2011 05:40 PM

Yes you can make it. The ship will actually dock before 8am. The airport is ten minutes away and there will be plenty of taxis. I have seem people make ten am flights.

Trip April 4th, 2011 06:19 PM

You should be AOK...drat those huge RCI ships, they make the security lines longer!;)

LisaK April 5th, 2011 09:44 AM

yes it is doable, my personal preference is something closer to 1pm especially if the Oasis or Allure is disembarking passengers on the same day

AF1 April 5th, 2011 10:08 AM

I think Oasis sails on Saturday and Allure on Sunday. However, there were six other ships in port on the Sunday we sailed Allure; which makes for a lot of passengers taking airline flights that day.

fourxbusymom April 5th, 2011 12:38 PM

You should be just fine. When we got off the Noordam in Feb. we got to the airport by 10:30...and we were some of the last people off of the ship. Our flight wasn't until 2, so we actually had to kill time before they would even let us check in. The good news is that since we were some of the very first to check in for our flight, and my husband is such a good customer, we were upgraded to first-class! Free drinks!!! ;)

Aerogirl April 5th, 2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourxbusymom (Post 1364530)
You should be just fine. When we got off the Noordam in Feb. we got to the airport by 10:30...and we were some of the last people off of the ship. Our flight wasn't until 2, so we actually had to kill time before they would even let us check in. The good news is that since we were some of the very first to check in for our flight, and my husband is such a good customer, we were upgraded to first-class! Free drinks!!! ;)

Was this out of FT. Lauderdale?? What day of the week was it?

green_rd April 5th, 2011 04:25 PM

Might make Luggage Express a good idea. Head straight for security, skip airline check-in.

fourxbusymom April 5th, 2011 06:43 PM

Yes, it was out of Ft. Lauderdale on a Wednesday. A weekend might make a difference, but I still think it would be easily doable.

Trip April 5th, 2011 06:58 PM

The weekend is the tough time..Weekdays would be a breeze! I remember when they were dredging PE, there was much talk about airport expansion to accomodate the extroadinary amount of people that would be using the airport, after RCI built the 2 ships..I googled it, but only found info about a runway expansion, so, I guess that went nowhere, but, it has to come eventually.

AF1 April 8th, 2011 10:02 AM

Trip, I think Ft. Lauderdale airport should be expanded; it seems a lot of the cruise lines have moved from Miami to Port Everglades; but the airport is small and over crowded; maybe in the future it will get expanded; until then I am sailing out of Port Canaveral.

Donna April 8th, 2011 10:08 AM

Hi Af1,
I couldn't agree with you more, especially with the big ships comming into port there. The location is perfect and you are OK if you get there early, but the lines if you don't. OY.