CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Better safe than sorry (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/381724-better-safe-than-sorry.html)

Trip April 5th, 2011 10:22 AM

Better safe than sorry

Who would have thought this sad scenario would have happened & impacted cruising, but, this is another cautionary tale, and, another reminder to buy travel insurance.

Bradenton man upset by cruise line's handling of Japan trip

HawkeyeFLA April 5th, 2011 02:00 PM

I want to empathize with this guy, I mean I really do ... but I just can't find it. For a dollar amount like that, and it sounds like he didn't use a TA? It just boggles the mind it does.

Mike M April 5th, 2011 02:28 PM

The part that bothers me is that Princess says they have no records of him calling. How did he cancel the cruise? Email, Carrier Pigeon or smoke signals?

Not having insurance was not smart on his part and a very common problem. The other problem is that he didn't read the fine print of the cruise contract.

Another example why people should always BUY INSURANCE

Take care,
Mike

AF1 April 5th, 2011 03:51 PM

Maybe if more people read articles about mishaps and travel issues; it will get them to thinking is it really worth losing thousands of dollars; for just a few hundred dollars. This was an expensive lesson to learn.

Donna April 6th, 2011 11:54 AM

It does seem odd that Princess has no record of his call?? Did he use a travel agent?? Again, having an agent may have saved him this headache....Plus, this cruise was not cheap by any means, for the small amount extra, he would of been 90% covered....It tough that we have to learn lessens the hard way and we all see this on our boards all the time. Most claim they have no reason to purchase the extra insurance and we see all the time of this happening. We can never know or plan, so, play it safe and insure your trip, like you do your car and home...

Trackypup April 6th, 2011 12:43 PM

I think it's important to point out that he would have needed "cancel for any reason" insurance for what he did. His cruise wasn't cancelled, there was nothing preventing him getting to his cruise. He elected to cancel. Normal insurance wouldn't have done much.

NevilleJ March 20th, 2012 01:37 PM

Wouldn't a health risk like radiation contact be an acceptable cancellation? It seems like there are so many different insurances from the trip insurance to medical insurance to cancellation for any reason insurance. Is there any company that offers it all in one insurance package?

MercedMike March 21st, 2012 11:48 AM

Sticking by the contract

There is one little line in the article ...

"Princess is sticking by its contract."

What can I say. Is it wrong to stick by a contract? That is how business is done.

Princess is exactly right that it would be very unfair to give him the benefit of something he didn't buy.

Bottom line, he made a choice, then tried to avoid the consequences of his choice.

As a Middle School teacher I had hundreds of students behave this way. This guy should be old enough to have grown up.