Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Question Cruising before drydock?

I have a question for those who have cruised very shortly before a ship heads to dry dock. Let's say in the last month of operations.

Does the ship start to look pretty worn down? I'm thinking a lot of the little problems that might get dealt with at sea might end up getting put off until the maintenance period. Are the crew antsy to get off, or in a particular good mood? Does the ship start to run out of "stuff".

We're looking at the penultimate run of a ship before dry dock. Your responses are appreciated, as always.

I have to admit that I am guessing about dry dock but we are looking at a date less than 12 months out and there are not additional cruises scheduled + she'll have been asea for five years since the last update. It seems like that would be where she is heading.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I'm not sure what ship you're looking at, but it's highly unlikely that it's been 5 years since she was in dry dock.

When a ship goes to dry dock it doesn't mean everything on the ship is being refurbed and redone, unless there's a massive change planned for the ship. They deal with maintenance and updates they can't do at sea mostly.

So, unless it's a major dry dock, most areas of the ship will be maintained as they go.

I once sailed on a ship the last week she was sailing for that company, having been sold. Now that's when some maintenance issues were left undone... waiting for the new owners
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 11th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Freedom of the Seas just completed a dry dock; it had some upgrades done; but it was stuff that was added to the ship; not maintenance stuff.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old April 11th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The ships I have sailed that looked the most "shabby" were ships that were going to be taken out of the fleet.

Ocean Princess before it was transferred to P&O (since then it's been transferred back) had railings desperately in need of varnish. Carpet that was stained and had some tears and the exterior was in need of a paint job. It was interesting because the ships was less than four years old when I sailed her.

The other was the Celebrity Galaxy before she went to TIU and was renamed "Mein Schiff". Even in a Royal Suite the carpets were worn and the pool deck looked worn and in need of paint. Also the seats in the theater were worn and number of them broken.

Otherwise most ships are kept quite nice.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 11th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1 View Post
Freedom of the Seas just completed a dry dock; it had some upgrades done; but it was stuff that was added to the ship; not maintenance stuff.
Freedom of the Seas had significant work done in order to try and make it a "mini Oasis".
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Perhaps I am using the wrong terminology and jumping to conclusions.

@Kuki, I am specifically referring to Carnival Miracle. The last sailing I find scheduled for her is 3/9/12 when most Carnival schedules stretch will into 2012. My original source indicated her last refurbishment was 2007. I have now found two other sources (one the same website that listed the 2007) saying her last refurbishment was 2009. That date would be in line with the "Evolutions of Fun" upgrades.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
The ships I have sailed that looked the most "shabby" were ships that were going to be taken out of the fleet.

Ocean Princess before it was transferred to P&O (since then it's been transferred back) had railings desperately in need of varnish. Carpet that was stained and had some tears and the exterior was in need of a paint job. It was interesting because the ships was less than four years old when I sailed her.

Take care,
Mike
Interesting Mike,
I did not realize Ocean Princess went back & forth to P&O. Don't forget the R ships may have been in need of maintenance before Princess got them, they came from a company in bankrupcy and also were in mothballs for a while. So 4 years must have been right after Princess got the Ocean.

Am not sure if Princess knows what they want to do w/their R ships, they were constructed for luxury cruising. IMO Azamara & Oceania understand it better.

I was on Royal Princess last year a few weeks before it went to P&O and did not notice any maint. needs or change in service.

O F C'er
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Freedom of the Seas had significant work done in order to try and make it a "mini Oasis".
Kuki, you are correct. Freedom in now almost Oasis class, except with less passengers. Did u know Freedom is 90 feet shorter than Oasis/Allure, but carries 1500 less passengers? That makes me feel like I will enjoy Freedom more than I enjoyed Allure. We had full 6,000 on Allure in Jan.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds