Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Captain

Smile Alaska pilots

I as just looking at the bridge cam on the Sapphire Princess she is heading north to Victoria. It got me to wondering when these ships go to Alaska and explore the glaceirs do they need a pilot oh you know like a bar pilot.Or is it up to the Captain to know his way around up in Alaska and around the glaceirs?
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I do believe you pick up a pilot along with a naturalist to narriate the sights you will be viewing.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 13th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Pilots

At various times in Alaska we have heard the Captain refer to picking up a pilot or seen the pilot boat boarding a pilot, but honestly I don't remember ever seeing it in Glacier Bay. I am really not sure if they are under pilotage there or not. Indeed, a Park Ranger comes on board to narrate, but I have never heard of or seen a pilot there. Reasonably you would think there would be one.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old May 13th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Admiral

From what I was told an officer on our last Alaska Cruise . All ships are under pilots in Alaskan wares even Glacier Bay . The pilot is required navigate to entrance of Glacier Bay or even Hubbard Glacier .
Ships coming into Alaska pick up pilots before entering the coastal waters usually about 10 miles out .When goingbetween ports in Alaska the pilots board before the ship leaves the port and disembarks at the next port .
There are usually two , one for the departure port and part way to the next . The second takes over and guides the ship into the next port.
The inside passage from Vancouver rtequires two Pilots for the passage.
They board or disenbark off Vancouver Island near Port Hardy.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess