Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default High Cost of Air to Europe a STUPID argument

Okay - I watch what my fellow cruise reporters write, and I have now seen maybe four articles that make this statement...

"People do not want to cruise in Europe because the air costs more than the cruise, when the cruise is $1200 but the airfare is $1500, why bother?"

Mediterranean cruises are as cheap as ever - like $1700 for a 12-day cruise, balcony cabins. I found airfare from LOS ANGELES to ROME for $1450 - not that much more than usual (maybe $100- $200 higher) But that is what they write.

Why Bother??????????????

Because when you add it up these are SMOKING DEALS!!!

Celebrity is offering an airfare supplement - charging just $999 (east coast) up to $1199 (west coast) to fly to either Barcelona or Rome to meet their ships. The cruises are priced as low as $1399 or $1599 pp balcony cabin.

$2400 per person for air and a Med cruise on Celebrity Equinox is a steal any day of any year - why all this negativity and blase attitude?

And is $1450 from LAX to Rome really that much more than usual? No, not really, the cheap cruises more than make up the difference. To all the people who have asked - why don't the cruise lines do something to supplement the higher air costs the answer is "they are..." they are lowering fares.

Next years Med cruises are still priced at about $2000 higher per cruise. This is the year to get a sure bargin - woe to you if you think you can gamble on them being cheaper next year - there is no guarantee.
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Captain

$1,700 seems fair for a 12 day cruise with a balcony we paid $1,999 for a 14 day to Hawaii with a balcony I never new what the airfair to Europe was I wonder what a cruise from the US to Europe to meet the ship would cost?
Old May 14th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It is all relative. Three years ago we did a 12 day Baltic cruise, on NCL, in a BA balcony cabin, for $799 pp. Airfare was $650 round trip from Minneapolis to London. Plus there was a $300 OBC thrown in by NCL.

Two years ago we did a 12 day Mediterranean cruise including Egypt, Rome, Greece and Turkey for $1500 p.p. for a Cat AC suite on NCL with $500 OBC. Round trip air from MSP to Barcelona was $950.

I know these were EXCELLENT deals, and both were off season (May and February) and basically last minute, but if you look at the cruise prices and air fares now it isn't as lucrative.

Just another perspective.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 14th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Admiral

The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I have been looking at a Med Cruise, or sailing one way, or the other on a repositioning. Yep, we can REALLY get some good deals on the cruise, but when I looked at the airfare, to get back home, it was going to be TRULY OUTRAGEOUS, especially in April! As a result, I think we'll just do the Hawaii cruise out of the West coast instead, as the airfares from Tampa to San Diego are far more reasonable. Haven't looked at "X", but with the information you supplied, maybe that's the answer. Thanks for the "heads up".

"SKY"
Old May 15th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Mike - your cruises were taken right after the economic crash - few people were traveling and everything was dirt cheap (if your 'three years ago' is accurate).

I priced air from Los Angeles to Rome and it came in at $1450 in August (peak travel season). That is a little high, but not outrageously high when the cruise is only $1799. Ther main thing is the combined cost. Cruises in the Baltic are going for over $4000 - Med cruises next year are going for almost $4000.

Cruises are half off now it is worth it to pay an extra $300 in airfare.
Old May 16th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Admiral

Why bother? It's Europe.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old May 16th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I have been looking at a Med Cruise, or sailing one way, or the other on a repositioning. Yep, we can REALLY get some good deals on the cruise, but when I looked at the airfare, to get back home, it was going to be TRULY OUTRAGEOUS, especially in April! As a result, I think we'll just do the Hawaii cruise out of the West coast instead, as the airfares from Tampa to San Diego are far more reasonable. Haven't looked at "X", but with the information you supplied, maybe that's the answer. Thanks for the "heads up".

"SKY"
When we were looking into 1 way air to London, many people suggested booking R/T because the fares are much lower than 1 way. It also might be less expensive to fly into MCO instead of Tampa.

The Hawaii cruise is wonderful! We have done it twice out of San Pedro (LA Port) on Princess but never out of SD and plan to do it again soon. I know the SD airport is only 10 minutes from the port but if you book far enough ahead you could get a great deal on JetBlue and fly into Long Beach which is very close to the port instead of LAX. They have changed a lot of their routes, especially the non-stops, so it might be LAX. We booked out of LB for this week to FLL and JetBlue moved it to LAX in February but gave us $25 each for inconvenience.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Paul

Even with reduced cabin costs, the bill for a family of 4 could cost approx USD10K w/o cost of excursions and personal exenses?

Amongst my American friends, I don't know too many who would spend that.

Annie
Old May 16th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser View Post
When we were looking into 1 way air to London, many people suggested booking R/T because the fares are much lower than 1 way. It also might be less expensive to fly into MCO instead of Tampa.

The Hawaii cruise is wonderful! We have done it twice out of San Pedro (LA Port) on Princess but never out of SD and plan to do it again soon. I know the SD airport is only 10 minutes from the port but if you book far enough ahead you could get a great deal on JetBlue and fly into Long Beach which is very close to the port instead of LAX. They have changed a lot of their routes, especially the non-stops, so it might be LAX. We booked out of LB for this week to FLL and JetBlue moved it to LAX in February but gave us $25 each for inconvenience.
I agree with the suggestion to book round trip, instead of one way. It actually is cheaper in some cases.. We still haven't made up our minds about which trip to do. I personally, am leaning towards the Hawaii trip, and cruise, but the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) having been born in Sicily, and not having the opportunity to return for a long long time, wants to do Italy. (Guess who'll most likely win?) I keep telling her, that I haven't been back to Hawaii for a long long time either. (I was there on the way to Okinawa, and Vietnam.) I'll keep y'all updated on what we find.

"SKY"
Old May 16th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
I agree with the suggestion to book round trip, instead of one way. It actually is cheaper in some cases.. We still haven't made up our minds about which trip to do. I personally, am leaning towards the Hawaii trip, and cruise, but the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) having been born in Sicily, and not having the opportunity to return for a long long time, wants to do Italy. (Guess who'll most likely win?) I keep telling her, that I haven't been back to Hawaii for a long long time either. (I was there on the way to Okinawa, and Vietnam.) I'll keep y'all updated on what we find.

"SKY"

Sky .. if you're looking for one way air, or open jaw, the cruise line air is often the cheapest you'll find. About the only cases where that holds true. Check it out.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Sky .. if you're looking for one way air, or open jaw, the cruise line air is often the cheapest you'll find. About the only cases where that holds true. Check it out.
THANKS Kuki. I'll do exactly that. I'd noticed that they offer this service, but of course you have to call 'em to get a price, and I just hadn't bothered to do that. I'll get off my arse now and give it a shot.

"SKY"