Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default What's A Legitimate Complaint?

My Blog this week talks about this topic......
What's a legitimate complaint? How to deal with them both onboard, and post cruise.
Cruisemates Blog What is a Legitimate Complaint? – Kuki

I think it's worth a read, and you can certainly feel free to comment on the spot. Just clock "comment".
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2011, 01:29 PM
First Mate

As Hotel Manager on a mass market ship, I find that around 50% of the complaints that reach me are legitimate. These people have good reason to expect quick resolution and/or some sort of compensation for their inconvenience.
The other 50% (and this number is growing quickly) are trying to get something for nothing. These are the people who want a free cruise because the toilet paper was too rough, the ship was rolling in heavy seas, or the clouds were blocking the sun when they were trying to get a tan.
There is also a new demographic sailing these days with a creative new agenda. They usually march straight into my office and announce that they belong to an online website called Cruisecr**ic. They then inform me that if I find some way to upgrade them at no charge, put them on a VIP List, or give them free Spa Passes, they will be happy to write a good review on the website. Otherwise their online comments may not be very favorable.
You would be amazed at how quickly these people find themselves standing outside my office - with the door closed in their faces.
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
As Hotel Manager on a mass market ship, I find that around 50% of the complaints that reach me are legitimate. These people have good reason to expect quick resolution and/or some sort of compensation for their inconvenience.
The other 50% (and this number is growing quickly) are trying to get something for nothing. These are the people who want a free cruise because the toilet paper was too rough, the ship was rolling in heavy seas, or the clouds were blocking the sun when they were trying to get a tan.
There is also a new demographic sailing these days with a creative new agenda. They usually march straight into my office and announce that they belong to an online website called Cruisecr**ic. They then inform me that if I find some way to upgrade them at no charge, put them on a VIP List, or give them free Spa Passes, they will be happy to write a good review on the website. Otherwise their online comments may not be very favorable.
You would be amazed at how quickly these people find themselves standing outside my office - with the door closed in their faces.
Bruce... ROFL . The last parparaghraph referring to "an online site called..." is pretty funny, because you're not the first place I've heard and read this.

It seems way too many people using those boards think that by signing up, they are entitled to banter around the word "Critic", as though they are entitled to be treated as though the cruise lines are concerned with this the "badge" they think they're wearing.

They're also the type who assume any actual journalist sent to a review a ship are given "the keys to the kingdom" to make sure they only write positive reviews, and therefore do so (because that's what they would do).

Those of us who actually write reviews for cruise sites don't ask for special treatment, and if it is offered, are mostly well trained enough, and value their credibility with their readers more than they do a nicer cabin, a bottle of champagne, or some extra jumbo shrimp!

While you're here... and we can pick your brain... are there things people can do, that I may have missed in my blog, that are more effective than I described?
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Good article. I did leave a comment and want to state it here and expound on it. To me a legitimate complaint is such as plumbing trouble or maybe ac trouble in your cabin. These are definitely things that I would complain about and hopefully would be taken care of while on my cruise. If not then I would hope to get some kind of compensation for the problem. If it is a case of children being someplace that is stated as adult only and whoever is in charge of the area at the time does nothing then I would have to call guest services.

I have to say that only on one cruise did we have a problem in our cabin, the safe would not open after a few days. We contacted our steward and she got maintenance there and it turned out to be the batteries. It was the type of safe that you enter your own code in.

If a person complains the right way during the cruise and the problem is not corrected/ taken care of then definitely a letter to the corporate office after is in order. I hope to never have to do that.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Admiral

There are certainly more "legitimate complaints" than those you mention Nancy. To itemize each one a list would take pages, and then likely still not be complete.

And, as I said.... anything that leaves the customer dissatisfied is to them (and to some degree) a "legitimate complaint".

The weight given to the complaint, the manner it's handled, etc. was the subject of the Blog.
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Admiral

Exclamation Legitimate complaints

Excellent article, Kuki.

In the course of our cruising, we have of course encountered a few situations that were less than ideal. We follow your steps in complaining and rarely have to go very high.

Examples:

Simple one, need an extra pillow. Ask cabin steward, get pillow. No refund of cruise price for one night spent without pillow, though

Harder one, air conditioner not cooling well. Ask cabin steward. No improvement. Call head housekeeper. Engineer sent to cabin, fiddles, no improvement. Call front desk, leave message for hotel manager. Engineer comes to cabin, fixes airconditioner. Problem solved. No refund, though ...

Shore excursion complaint. A particular portion of the trip turned out not to include advertised elements. We (and we found out a number of other passengers) complained in writing to Shore Excursion desk. Half of excursion price refunded.

Another shore excursion complaint. Exited pier through gate, boarded HOHO boat, nice tour, returned to find gate locked. Security guard on other side would not let us in. Complained to boat captain, he left without doing anything. Eventually had a long walk around to another gate. Complained to trip operator, fell on deaf ears. Result is post in my blog warning people against that excursion and operator. Makes me feel better.

Worse case -- in Istanbul, cab driver dropped us at the wrong entrance. However security people accepted our ship cards, screened and passed us, and we walked toward ship. We were stopped by gate guards, told we had to go all the way back and walk all the way around. Threatened to call police if we didn't. As we are mobility limited this was a great problem. Complained to front desk when we got to ship. The next day we found that the other couple in the same incident got chocolate strawberries and an apology. My wife stormed to front desk and complained about that! Result, got strawberries and apology a day late.

The big one -- on a cruise to Mardi Gras, a tanker sank in the Mississippi River and kept us from reaching New Orleans. Ship went on to Bridgeport, ship chartered buses to take us to Mardi Gras free. We went with the flow and had a good time at Mardi Gras. Passengers received $150 OBC. Some passengers followed the Captain and Cruise Director around the ship the rest of the cruise swearing at them.

When you travel, stuff happens. Make reasonable efforts to get it corrected and it usually is. If it can't be corrected, accept the fact and relax.

My observation is that most of the drive by bashers who hop on with a whole litany of complaints got ticked off by one incident early in their cruise, and then nothing could satisfy them.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Great subject this week Kuki...I posted over at the blog, I think we all should, but I will post here as well..

Over the course of moderating these boards, we have seen countless complaints. Some things that roll off one cruiser's back, will get under the skin of another. For cruisers, with legitimate complaints, who's cruise really has been impacted, I sometimes feel sorry for them when they take the time to share with us what went on,and they get responses like. Get over it, at least you were cruising..go with the flow etc..Should they,absolutely not.

When your air conditioner is broken, if you have sewerage issues, brown water, etc..things like this, that do understandably change the way you enjoy and use your cabin....you have the right to complain. The way you do it,as Kuki states, is so important. That paper trail will be your best friend as you weave your way through the channels, if the complaint was not corrected immediately. BTW...in a complaint letter,if you state, I will never cruise with you again, you lose any strength in your complaint, as far as compensation..you told them Hell no..!! Complaining on shore, after the cruise, makes no sense.

As far as CC..In reading John Heald's Blog, it boggles my mind how many times the double c's, name is dropped, like that is going to sway things, to the poster's side.

Bottom line, is you stay calm, focused, and state the facts, not embellishing the complaint, have dates and names at hand, you can get things resolved. Knitpickers...Not every complaint will get you that free cruise, no matter how loud you whine.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; May 25th, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Admiral

I have learned to be very careful on mid-cruise comments cards. Last cruise I mentioned that carpet in suite was stained and that they might want to look at replacing sometime in the future. Within hours, I was informed that as I was going to be ashore the next day for a full day excursion, they would replace my carpet that day. Although I repeatedly said that it was not necessary, they still did it.

We also mentioned that one of my wife's favorite wines was out of stock. We got calls from Asst F&B and Hotel Director explaining that the wine, although on shipment list, was not in container they had just received in Sydney. We said we understood. Still, as many others were also disappointed in this shortage, the cruiseline flew 23 cases from Miami to Manila to satisfy the need.

From now on, I just say "everything is great" on mid-cruise comments; I don't need the attention.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
There are certainly more "legitimate complaints" than those you mention Nancy. To itemize each one a list would take pages, and then likely still not be complete.

And, as I said.... anything that leaves the customer dissatisfied is to them (and to some degree) a "legitimate complaint".

The weight given to the complaint, the manner it's handled, etc. was the subject of the Blog.

I certaintly understand that there are many legitimate things that can be a complaint. i just thought a couple of examples for new cruisers would be nice to have included, definitely not a long list.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Admiral

I did not reply to the blog post - but I'll weigh in here.
A legitimate complaint is something that should be under the cruise line's control but they fail to respond appropriately. "Stuff" has happened on nearly all my cruises. I have only complained to guest services once - ultimately I had to complain about guest services.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:41 PM
First Mate

When you have a problem on my ship, it is very important - to you and to me - that it gets resolved very quickly.
Knowing who to contact about a problem is critically important.

Most importantly - unless the ship is burning/sinking, it is a very foolish idea to try to contact the Captain if you have a problem.

Three decades ago, the Captain had a large role in the Hotel Operation.
Today his participation is nearly zero. His role is now somewhere between Airline Pilot and Bus Driver. Passengers who write letters to the Captain about rough toilet paper, tough steaks, or quality of entertainers are generally considered to be complete idiots.

When you have a problem:
1. Approach the crewmember closest to the problem; cabin steward, dining room waiter, shop clerk, shore tour staff, etc., and ask them to help you out.
2. If you do not get action or answer the same day, move up one level; Housekeeper, Maitre d', Shop Manager, Shorex Manager.
3. Still no satisfaction? Ask to speak to the Hotel Manager.
4. If the Hotel Manager cannot make you happy, you will be forced to deal with the Corporate Office. Contact them before you finish the cruise.
5. If you inform the corporate office that their cruise line is the worst in the world and you are never returning, your case is closed and your letter goes into the bin. You lose.
6. If you tell the ship management or shoreside management that you are planning to sue them when you get home, any attempts to make you happy onboard are stopped, and the case is turned over to the legal department. You lose.
7. If you detail all the things you liked - as well as all the things that you did not like - in an even-handed letter, discussion, or email, you wil be amazed at the number of things that can be done for you, during and after the cruise.

A very wise passenger once told me:

"Life is not what it is supposed to be.
It is what it is.
How you deal with that challenge defines your character in the eyes of others."
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
When you have a problem on my ship, it is very important - to you and to me - that it gets resolved very quickly.
Knowing who to contact about a problem is critically important.

Most importantly - unless the ship is burning/sinking, it is a very foolish idea to try to contact the Captain if you have a problem.

Three decades ago, the Captain had a large role in the Hotel Operation.
Today his participation is nearly zero. His role is now somewhere between Airline Pilot and Bus Driver. Passengers who write letters to the Captain about rough toilet paper, tough steaks, or quality of entertainers are generally considered to be complete idiots.

When you have a problem:
1. Approach the crewmember closest to the problem; cabin steward, dining room waiter, shop clerk, shore tour staff, etc., and ask them to help you out.
2. If you do not get action or answer the same day, move up one level; Housekeeper, Maitre d', Shop Manager, Shorex Manager.
3. Still no satisfaction? Ask to speak to the Hotel Manager.
4. If the Hotel Manager cannot make you happy, you will be forced to deal with the Corporate Office. Contact them before you finish the cruise.
5. If you inform the corporate office that their cruise line is the worst in the world and you are never returning, your case is closed and your letter goes into the bin. You lose.
6. If you tell the ship management or shoreside management that you are planning to sue them when you get home, any attempts to make you happy onboard are stopped, and the case is turned over to the legal department. You lose.
7. If you detail all the things you liked - as well as all the things that you did not like - in an even-handed letter, discussion, or email, you wil be amazed at the number of things that can be done for you, during and after the cruise.

A very wise passenger once told me:

"Life is not what it is supposed to be.
It is what it is.
How you deal with that challenge defines your character in the eyes of others."
I appreciate the very helpful information Bruce. Think our readers will as well!!

While on the topic, if you'd like to share some of the "odder" complaints you've had over your career, we'd be happy to sit back, read, and laugh
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Admiral

IMO, the inability of the people at the Purser's desk (in our experience) to say "I'm sorry" is a big problem.

We did a back-to-back cruise. We've done them before and everyone meets at a certain time, walks off the ship, shows their passport to immigration, gets back on the ship, taking about 30 minutes. The Purser's office takes care of issuing a new S&S card, the cruise goes on.

On our Carnival Conquest cruise we were told to meet at 10:00 AM. Fine, but we ended up having to wait until everyone was off the ship (about 11:30) to go show our passports to immigration. The person who escorted us off the ship couldn't find the immigration people. It took over 3hours to report to immigration and get back on the ship. I use a cane and another lady was on a walker. There was nowhere to sit and wait.

Once we re-boarded, we ran our S&S cards through at the Purser's desk. They said everything was "OKAY", until about 10 PM when a server told my DH that his S&S card was no good. I had already changed clothes and was about to go to sleep. I had to get up, get dressed and go to the Purser's desk with our credit card. They fixed everything, but no one ever said "Sorry".

I didn't want any compensation or free stuff, just an apology for messing things up. They just kept saying something like "it's fixed now, go back to your cabin".

It reminded me of restaurant's that train their employees to ignore people who slip and fall. Apparently, if you ever say "Sorry" it makes you responsible?

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 26th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
It reminded me of restaurant's that train their employees to ignore people who slip and fall. Apparently, if you ever say "Sorry" it makes you responsible?
Interesting. OTOH, as a former Middle School teacher, I got immensely tired of 12 y o students who thought saying "I'm sorry" RELIEVED them of any responsibility and prevented them from receiving any consequences for their actions. Many a time I wrote a referral to the office for an offender and was told, "But I said 'I'm sorry'! "

Saying "I'm sorry" is NOT the same as accepting responsibility.

Old May 26th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Lawyers always tell their clients to never say sorry to victims

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 26th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Bruce, thanks for the tips. Ok, here goes my story. Two years ago we were sailing on 11 nite Best of Europe; this was a repostioning cruise. We were told that the ship had just left drydock, and the crew was getting it ready for the summer season out of Barcelona. We started in Southampton, UK. We went from UK-Vigo-Lisbon-Gibralter-Sardinia-Rome-Florence-Nice-Barcelona. The cruise line notified all passengers before, and when they boarded, that not everything on the ship would be in working order; carpeting still being laid in certain areas, pools being painted, cabins balcony furniture not out yet. Etc, Etc,; so about 4 days into this cruise; a group of disgruntled passengers started to compain that the one pool hadn't been open since the beginning of the cruise. (it was still being painted), They staged a sit in out by the pool; were sending a petition around for people to sign, that they were going to submit to the captain, and told him to fax it to corporate headquarters. This went on for the entire day. Security was called to keep an eye on any unrully passengers. (we were on a sea day, so nobody would be getting on and off the ship. The demands by the passengers who were staging this sit in was: they wanted partial reimbursement of the cruise fare; because the ship was not 100% in working order. The captian finally came by the pool area, to speak to everyone. His reply was sorry that everything is not in proper working order; however, did you read the fine print in your cruise contract regarding this cruise. It states: para, sub para, "this is a repositining cruise, and not everything will be in working order; since the ship is just getting out of drydock; and we need to get it from the UK to Barcelona. If you wanted everything to be 100% ready, you should have booked a cruise out of Barcelona. Sorry for being long. The group slowly broke up, and that was the last anyone heard of it. Thank goodness. To think that we in our group of 15, were having so much fun; and had to listen to this for a good 1/2 day. Anyway, we continued on and had a great time.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old May 26th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Captain

Smile

Dang it we missed out!On our cruise to hawaii on the Sapphire Princess the latch on the bathroom door stopped working and the door would swing back and forth with out latching shut. We told Mario the guy who was taking care of our room and within 15 minutes there was somerone there fixing it.Now I wish they wouldnt of been so prompt maybe we could of gotten a free criuse or $$$$ ship credits just are luck
Old May 27th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

that is funny Dhill
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old May 27th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Exclamation Fine Print

Quote:
...however, did you read the fine print in your cruise contract...
Yes, the devil is in the fine print.:evil:

Most cruise line contracts contain a phrase similar to the following: "The company will attempt to provide transportation." Bottom line, that is all they have to do. No times, no ports, no distances ... just ATTEMPT to provide transportation at the Captain's sole discretion.